U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2007, 09:15 PM

15 posts, read 52,781 times

Advertisements

After days of researching and bringing the US down to 3 states. My first two picks were Oregon or Washington but now I have finally decided on Arkansas.

After reading about tornadoes ( scares me to death ) I was told that Fayetteville is the place to be especially since I am also into the arts.

Now, around this area, where is the best place to start looking for a house? I want to keep it well under $175K around 1600+ sq ft, 3 bedroom and near good schools for my two young children. I don't mind living outside of a city as where we are coming from is remote and we are used to driving everywhere.

Also do you know is commercial leases are expensive? I would like to open a little studio / gallery in the area? Do you think Fayetteville is a good place for this or would a city within a few hours drive be better?

Thank you again and I am sure I will have more questions ..

Last edited by kjsphoto; 07-31-2007 at 09:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 11:21 PM

15 posts, read 52,781 times
One more question how humid is it in this area of Arkansas?

Thanks...

Old 08-01-2007, 07:50 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjsphoto View Post
One more question how humid is it in this area of Arkansas?

Thanks...
I can't answer your questions about housing although 1600 sq ft for under $175,000 should be workable.

As for humidity, yes, it is high but the temp are not as high as many places and the summers a relatively short. We left Texas 6 years ago and moved to NM because the humidity it Texas drove us nuts. Now, we have decided humidity is better than being so far away from family. Of course we are getting a little older and feel the need to have our kids within a few hours from us, not only kids but grandkids and our first Great grand.

We spent a week in AR late June to check it out. According to all the people we talked to it has been an exceptionally humid summer because of the rain, yet no way was it like Texas.

Hope this helps a little.

Nita

Old 08-01-2007, 12:52 PM

2,370 posts, read 6,854,459 times
Fayetteville is GREAT place for a gallery/studio. Leasing in prime locations will be very pricey though. There are collective studios in the area and you might want to look into those. There's a very vibrant arts community with a council that can help you get established.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:17 AM

7 posts, read 22,490 times
We moved to Arkansas last year...and have experience with commercial leases...it depends on the area. Dixon Street and that area will be very pricey...however other busy areas around Fayetteville are much more reasonable, they have alot of vacant commercial space around town. As far as housing and schools. Fayetteville or Bentonville are great choices. Obviously Fayetteville would be closer...however many people tolerate a small commute to be out of the "City Traffic"...Although traffic here versus other areas of the country is relative. Pricing of homes...you can find what you want...I know of several subdivisions and areas that would fit the bill. Once again...commercial leases can really vary, however there are a couple of major companies, that can find what you are looking for.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:24 AM

362 posts, read 1,088,590 times
Although it gets as hot in Fayetteville as other parts of the state, it tends to not get quite as humid. Also tornadic activity is not near as high in Fayetteville and NWA as it is in the rest of the state. Getting a house in your price range should be simple in Fayetteville, and you may actually be surprised at how much house you'll be able to get for 175K up there. I think you'll do great in Fayetteville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas