U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 05:59 PM

3 posts, read 7,489 times

Advertisements

I also kill all I see. If some like them and own them fine. if you hate cats and kill them when they come into your yard that is your deal. I like cats. I will not tell someone to not kill a cat in their own yard. and I will not listen to people telling me not to kill snakes in mine.
Shovel or rake, I even just last week dropped a cut off of a 4x4 on one black snake off my deck, He was wounded good. and went away but a hawk will get him for sure now that he is bleeding. One less breader.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 12:00 AM

3 posts, read 11,146 times
All God's creatures have a right to live.......Maybe your neighbor doesn't like you. Does he have the right to kill you with a shovel?

Ticks, chiggers, fleas and roaches are afar bigger problem then the snakes in north central Arkansas. Been here 17 years and still can't accept them.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:31 AM

388 posts, read 1,616,975 times
I do have to modify my posts on this thread somewhat, as I did see a snake on my property last night...I opened my garage door and at the edge of the light I saw a little baby snake (don't know what kind).

He took off but didn't make it very far, as an owl got him.

I didn't see the strike real well, as it happened just beyond the light, but it was kinda neat...nature in action and all that.

Still voting for no big deal on snakes, but the armadillo that got in the yard two nights ago and got cornered by the dogs is a different story.

Had that sucker dug around in my wife's flower beds or burrowed under the house I'd have had to listen to the nagging all night until I could get some mothballs.

North Cenral Arkansas is mostly rural or semi-rural, we got critters and bugs and a habitat they like.

For those considering a move here please understand; you do have to accept that, and learn to deal with it the best way you know how.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:23 PM

69,306 posts, read 79,490,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magrack View Post
I do have to modify my posts on this thread somewhat, as I did see a snake on my property last night...I opened my garage door and at the edge of the light I saw a little baby snake (don't know what kind).

He took off but didn't make it very far, as an owl got him.

I didn't see the strike real well, as it happened just beyond the light, but it was kinda neat...nature in action and all that.

Still voting for no big deal on snakes, but the armadillo that got in the yard two nights ago and got cornered by the dogs is a different story.

Had that sucker dug around in my wife's flower beds or burrowed under the house I'd have had to listen to the nagging all night until I could get some mothballs.

North Cenral Arkansas is mostly rural or semi-rural, we got critters and bugs and a habitat they like.

For those considering a move here please understand; you do have to accept that, and learn to deal with it the best way you know how.
I suppose, in some ways, that is a sad story, but in others, it is a good one. yes, nature is wonderous. We had a little story that has a happy ending to tell. (not as exciting as snakes) coming out of church this morning we saw a very nice little grass hopper on our front window. thinking it would fly away hubby just left it there. Well I guess the little guy decided riding on the windshied could get him places faster than flying cause he rode all the way to our house (about 2 miles) never moving a mussle. We drove into the driveway, got out, gave him a nudge and away he went. Another story, last night one of the gals at our church went out to turn off the water in her garden when she came face to face with a set of twin baby skunks. It shocked her so much she ran in the house and forgot to turn off the water. About an hour later, flashlight in hand she ventured out again. the water was still on and the babies were gone.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:27 PM

Not sad...natural order of things...owls have to eat too.

ETA: What would have been sad is if I'd had to listen to my wife nagging about some critter rooting around in her flower beds...then you might have seen real tears.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magrack View Post
Not sad...natural order of things...owls have to eat too.

ETA: What would have been sad is if I'd had to listen to my wife nagging about some critter rooting around in her flower beds...then you might have seen real tears.
from you or her?

Old 08-05-2007, 01:52 PM

She can be real good at nagging.

Old 08-05-2007, 04:04 PM

5,981 posts, read 15,903,769 times
Steve-o, I'm sorry to say - you have creeped me out so bad with those pictures! I have snakeophobia or whatever that long word is you called it....

Be that as it may, newcomers and visitors to Arkansas are more likely to see a copperhead, I would think...be careful as you crunch through the woods. My only couple of experiences with them made me think they aren't the brightest bulbs, they just seemed terribly slow and addle-brained, but with so much dead vegetation on the ground that is one easy snake to miss. If you're going to hike, take a walking stick and clear any dead leaves in front of you.

I personally would probably not die of snakebite, but of sheer fear before a snake ever even had the chance to strike...'s okay, though, Steve-o, it's only one of my many phobias....I am rivaling Monk at this point....

Old 08-06-2007, 10:22 AM

20,005 posts, read 67,969,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Steve-o, I'm sorry to say - you have creeped me out so bad with those pictures! I have snakeophobia or whatever that long word is you called it....

Be that as it may, newcomers and visitors to Arkansas are more likely to see a copperhead, I would think...be careful as you crunch through the woods. My only couple of experiences with them made me think they aren't the brightest bulbs, they just seemed terribly slow and addle-brained, but with so much dead vegetation on the ground that is one easy snake to miss. If you're going to hike, take a walking stick and clear any dead leaves in front of you.

I personally would probably not die of snakebite, but of sheer fear before a snake ever even had the chance to strike...'s okay, though, Steve-o, it's only one of my many phobias....I am rivaling Monk at this point....
LOL

Well, whatever comes of it, just remember that snakes are God's creatures too, with a bad reputation. I suggest you find the time to take a phobia-treatment class, because living with phobias is really crippling. I used to be an arachnophobe to the utmost extreme (would you believe that!?!?)!! I finally got the nads to go over to the reptile/arachnid areas of the local pet stores and stare at them, amazed. I started off owning some emperor scorpions as a first "exotic" pet. From there my love of scorpions blossomed, almost into an obsession. I still travel the country and study them and still keep about 15 of them, but thats what got me over my fears. Then it was on to tarantulas. I bought a beautiful (and I do mean beautiful!) Avicularia versicolor from a local breeder (aka Martinique pinktoe tarantula) as a baby, with a 1/2" leg span. I raised it to an adult (5") and loved every minute of it. It was a bit nerve-wracking to have it walk on me the first few times, but you just have to relax and tell yourself "its not out to bite me", and I was fine. I used to go into the hills of Missouri and get tarantulas out of their burrows and handle them right there. All it takes is a little research and alot of understanding, then youll be fascinated. And being fascinated is a million times better than being scared.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
LOL

Well, whatever comes of it, just remember that snakes are God's creatures too, with a bad reputation. I suggest you find the time to take a phobia-treatment class, because living with phobias is really crippling. I used to be an arachnophobe to the utmost extreme (would you believe that!?!?)!! I finally got the nads to go over to the reptile/arachnid areas of the local pet stores and stare at them, amazed. I started off owning some emperor scorpions as a first "exotic" pet. From there my love of scorpions blossomed, almost into an obsession. I still travel the country and study them and still keep about 15 of them, but thats what got me over my fears. Then it was on to tarantulas. I bought a beautiful (and I do mean beautiful!) Avicularia versicolor from a local breeder (aka Martinique pinktoe tarantula) as a baby, with a 1/2" leg span. I raised it to an adult (5") and loved every minute of it. It was a bit nerve-wracking to have it walk on me the first few times, but you just have to relax and tell yourself "its not out to bite me", and I was fine. I used to go into the hills of Missouri and get tarantulas out of their burrows and handle them right there. All it takes is a little research and alot of understanding, then youll be fascinated. And being fascinated is a million times better than being scared.
I don't think Sam needs Phobia treatment classes. Being afraid of snakes and spiders is very common, you certainly know that. Everyone has a hobby, obviously yours is having a friendly relationship with snakes, spiders and other creatures. Suggesting someone needs classes because they don't like your creature friends seems strange to me. As for her having lots of phobias, do you think she may have meant that partly as a joke?

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or