Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 05:11 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,099,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
sorry, if I have to decide between even seeing a rattle snake or cotton mouth or doing something to keep them away, I will choose the later. We all know they eat rodents, but they can also bite humans.

Nita
Get yourself a nice set of snake tongs and a garbage can. Grab the snake in mid-section, put it in the garbage can and secure lid. Drive to an uninhabited area and release them. Dont be so quick to kill snakes. People dont understand them and have a stupid hatred of snakes for no apparent reason. Snakes, IMO, are probably the most forgiving of all wild animals. THey dont chase you or hunt you, usually back away from you or hide from you, give you warning that theyre mad, etc. If you get bit by a snake, 95% of the time its the persons fault. Ive studied snakes and even keep a few as pets and as useful tools to get people over their ophidiophobia. Sure some snakes are venemous, but your odds of dying from a snake bite are probably less than dying by lightning strike. I read a statistic that showed that only 1/10th of 1% of snakebite victims die. Pretty remarkable! In other words, leave the little guys alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
ill leave them alone..as long as they arent near my house, if its poisonous..its dead.
There are no poisonous snakes. And can you tell the difference? Just curious... most people dont know the difference between a harmless kingsnake (Lampropeltis genus) or a venomous rattlesnake (Crotalidae).

Old 08-02-2007, 05:24 PM

388 posts, read 1,779,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
.... THey dont chase you ...
Ever play with a "racer"?

Old 08-02-2007, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magrack View Post
Ever play with a "racer"?
Only blue racers. Theyre nippy indeed when cornered, but all the ones Ive encountered are quick to flee the other way. When I flip some tin and find one, theyre gone in a flash. The only snakes that have actually stood their ground was a bullsnake and of course the western diamondback. The rest simply fled.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:36 PM

Steve-o,Bullsnakes are harmless, as you probably know, but kinda ugly.

Most people don't like snakes and reactions vary.

I pretty much agree with your outlook on snakes, but I also understand how they affect people.

Only familiarity with snakes can make people more comfortable around them.

Please don't work yourself up if folks don't see eye to eye with you.

Herpephobia (sp?) is pretty common.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:41 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,103,101 times
Quote:
Steve-o,Bullsnakes are harmless, as you probably know, but kinda ugly.

Most people don't like snakes and reactions vary.

I pretty much agree with your outlook on snakes, but I also understand how they affect people.

Only familiarity with snakes can make people more comfortable around them.

Please don't work yourself up if folks don't see eye to eye with you.

Herpephobia (sp?) is pretty common.
We had rattlesnakes in our yard when we lived in So Calif. I can guarentee you I made sure they were dead ones. As for king and garter snakes or Bullsnakes, no I probably would not bother them. This doesn't mean I like to look at snakes and I admit, I am scared to death of them. heck I used to be afraid of Lizards: now I have grown up. I don't even bother them.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:51 PM

I used to have to teach survival classes in the Army, and one of the teaching points was snakes.

Though we never "made" anyone handle them, a few brave souls always did and peer pressure caused others to nut up and participate.

Most kids who never saw a snake in the wild (mostly city kids) never could work past the uneasiness.

I don't condemn people for their fear or uneasiness when confronted by a snake, just recognize it exists.

Again, I haven't seen a snake all year, but I always wear good leather boots and long pants out in the woodsy areas (hate chiggers) but also to prevent a mishap with a snake.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:18 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,718,806 times
Quote:
Just so everybody knows (my bold):

Excerpt from:
Snakes of Arkansas: Laws and Status

Basically, it's against the law to kill snakes in AR.

That being said, I remember a poll taken on ArkansasMatters a few weeks back that indicated 94% of the respondents don't hesitate to kill snakes, or don't agree with the law.

I haven't seen a snake on my property all year (4+ acres, rural, bordered by woods), but I keep it mowed close, 1" around the house 2" further out.

Snakes don't usually like short grass and stick to places where they can hide and will generally attempt to "run". (I find that funny since they have no legs).

I have run across bad tempered snakes a couple, three times (water moccasins in particular), but usually, if you give them an out, they'll take it.

One vote for no big deal on snakes in AR.
I should have noted that killing snakes for sport was indeed illegal, my knowledge coming firsthand from a game warden...

Old 08-02-2007, 07:49 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,396,776 times
Ok well I have a question for you, if you come across a rattler and it's making the rattling noise what should you do? I will be moving from Alaska to NV and we don't have snakes up here. My husband seen a bull snake on our property and everybody said that was good, they are the predator to the rattlesnake. So anyways what to do if you accidently walk up on one?

Old 08-02-2007, 07:58 PM

234 posts, read 1,265,928 times
I was just at the zoo the other weekend --- going thru the "snake house". One of the interesting statistics that I took away that on average - only 12 people (out of the 350 MILLION in the US) die from Snakebite. The majority of those were handling, or trying to KILL the snake. The person said that the best thing to do with a venemous snake was to leave it alone - it would go away.
Remove the debris and hiding places (wood piles, brush piled rocks) from around your house was the other recommendation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of: