U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 04:48 PM

12,439 posts, read 5,672,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryllynnd View Post
We are also looking to relocate to Arkansas and are seriously considering Hot Springs Village. Is this area affected with the "fowl smell" problem? Thank you in advance for all your assistance.
I doubt it, but I am not sure. I have been there and have never smelled anything. You will need to look for chicken farms, producers and ordinary farms. This combination usually leads to the fowl smell, of course anywhere close to a chicken farm is going to have a bad smell.

You will probably need to talk to some residents to be sure.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:08 PM

19 posts, read 10,281 times
Hotair2, thank you for the reply!

Old 05-11-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Hotair2, thank you for the reply!
You can search the forum for posts on Hot Springs Village. I am sure there are plenty of them. Also, you can start your own thread and ask specific questions about Hot Springs Village. There are plenty of people on CD that will respond.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:11 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,643,720 times
Quote:
We are also looking to relocate to Arkansas and are seriously considering Hot Springs Village. Is this area affected with the "fowl smell" problem? Thank you in advance for all your assistance.
I can't find the link right now to "factory farm map" but I think it was a dot-org, and you just click on your state to enlarge and then select the county you're interested in to get the actual numbers about Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations there.

We used it when we relocated to Washington so we could make sure we only looked at properties far away from any CAFOs.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:18 PM

Thank you Stonecypher5413. That is a great suggestion! I will try to find the site to CAFO's.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Thank you Stonecypher5413. That is a great suggestion! I will try to find the site to CAFO's.
Found it. Great cite.

Factory Farm Map

Wow this is pretty telling. Based on the map you would think no stink in Crawford County because there are no factory farms. No true. There are factory farms right next door in Sebastian County and these farms provide the chicken crap fertilizer to farms in Crawford. So, I guess you will need to look at the surrounding counties as well.

After looking at this map. IT would appear that the jewel of Arkansas...Washington and Benton counties have lost their luster.

Last edited by hotair2; 05-11-2011 at 05:39 PM..

Old 05-11-2011, 06:11 PM

Thank you again, Hot Air! I hadn't found the map yet, so I appreciate that you posted the link.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:31 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,883,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I will see if I have any legal remedies. I don't see why I should be forced to smell this stuff on my own property.

Give me a break. The farmers are doing nothing wrong. If you live near farms/ in the country you can obviously expect the repercussions of living near farms/in the country. While I don't find the smell of chicken litter pleasant, but I also understand why they are doing it.

I have lived in the country my entire life, thus smelling chicken/hog litter frequently...it is par for the course if you live in the country.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:17 PM

642 posts, read 883,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I posted a link to the lawsuits and the possible federal laws to regulate these. Most of the lawsuits have come out of Prairie Grove, but there are others being filed that have evidence of the arcenic in the cloud of poop. Oklahoma Attorney General has also filed suit regarding the spreading. That case is in Federal Court. The link below references the prairie grove cases, and the Plaintiff's lost; however, there have been others filed since then and so they must feel that they have a chance to win.

Senate hearing on cancer clusters Tuesday *|*Arkansas News (http://arkansasnews.com/2011/03/28/senate-hearing-on-cancer-clusters-tuesday/ - broken link)

Here is an article that talks about how the organic arsen (not harmful-supposedly) in chicken feed is changed into nonorganic arsen (harmful) when excreted by the chickens and then spread.

More evidence linking chicken litter and toxic arsenic | EVISA's News

There are literally hundreds of articles on this subject.
I'm aware of that. I'm also aware of the cancer cluster (it is not the only one in the state, but it's the only one we think has any possible connection to poultry right now, which actually makes it less likely that the chicken litter is the source of the problem- statistically speaking we should see more clusters in the state if that were the case, but eventually it will be figured out I hope), and am also familiar with the poultry industry and have an education applicable to this subject. If you only read one side of a story that's all you'll hear. I could probably find hundreds of articles explaining how we never landed on the moon, and that vaccines are cancer causing poisons from the government (lots of people use bad science or outlying statistics to claim this one), but that doesn't make any of them true or scientifically valid. I don't disagree with you for a second that the smell is annoying and I would also be concerned about any dust clouds (the spreaders near us tried to spread right before a rain that way it would knock down any dust and kill the smell much faster) if I thought it contained inorganic arsenic, but the odds of you having a health effect from the amount that should be in the cloud should be slim. I would want air quality data about the concentrations before I was concerned- but just so you know (from a recent study in California), inorganic arsenic has an atmospheric lifetime of 9 days and you're exposed to an exponentially greater amount of it from being in an indoor environment where smoking is taking place. It's most often from some of the following soruces: Wood and fossil-fuel combustion sources such as fireplaces, woodstoves, external combustion boilers, internal combustion engines, geothermal steam development and release, and arsenic containing pesticide/herbicide use, which you may unknowingly be using at your own home. Even if the dust thrown up into the air contains some of it, it should be relatively short lived and I bet (and fear) you'd be surprised by how much more of it you're already being exposed to from unrelated sources.

Quote:
The solution to the arsen problem would be to buy feed that does not have the arsen it or to not spread.

There are other things that can be done with the waste. I can be burned, apparently that is better based on the articles that I have read.
I totally agree about the feed. I am curious now regarding the differences in feeds various producers might use. Most of the poultry near us was turkey instead of chicken, which spreads litter and such the same way, but I don't know much about the differences in feed. I think I'll look into that. As far as burning- I strongly disagree with that. You can either use it as a natural fertilizer and take steps to reduce the dust (which seems to be the source of your concern), or you can make the overall air pollution (which has a pretty direct tie to types of respiratory problems and cancers) even worse by burning it? Seems like an easy choice. It wouldn't be hard to attach a water tank to the back of the spreaders to spray and keep the dust down.

Quote:
Just an FYI. I don't live right next door to a farm. I have checked and the closest is the bottoms which is about 5 miles away. That seems to be where the cloud is coming from.
I have no doubt it spreads with the wind. My point was that I did live right next to a farm, with spreading in the hundreds of acres of pasture on three sides of our house and yard, for 12 years. There have been no respiratory or health issues related to it.

Quote:
You are actually wrong about what you can do about an unpleasant smell on your land. There are nuisance laws. It really depends on which court that you get in front of and how the jury applies the law.
That's surprising to be honest (consider my industry example above), but if a smell that makes it unpleasant to be outside is all you end up having against them, I don't see you having much legal recourse in the long run. I certainly hope you can reach some sort of agreement that makes you more comfortable with what's going on, but it's unlikely a court or judge is going to implement a financial hardship on a farm due to a smell or increased dust on your property unless it can be proven it negatively impacts your quality of life.

Out of my own curiosity, how long has the smell/dust been around? It normally smelled bad at our place for a couple days but the smell normally died down quickly. Part of that could have been because they tried to spread before rain was forecasted, but it never lasted long even if it didn't rain right away. The farms themselves actually shouldn't smell as bad as they often do, but it's cheaper and involves less labor to let them get that way. I had family that used to run a couple farms for a company in AR and their farm never had the awful smell I noticed by some others- they just took care of the barns and birds better.

Incidentally, I know you're upset now and that's showing in your posts, but considering that thousands of people that live nearer to these farms and fields that use spreading haven't complained, haven't had their quality of life impacted, or have unsuccessfully sought legal recourse against farmers, companies, etc. should help you realize that some of your energy is misguided here. You don't have any more right to stop a farm or company from disposing of their animal waste due to odor(as long as they're following the law) than you neighbor would for smoking on your back porch and claiming the smell down wind made being outside unbearable to them. I am very skeptical that you will have any real legal options against the smell, but the dust (if the arsenic link proves to be a valid concern) may be a different story. So, good luck, but don't be surprised if you end up getting some sour grapes and legal fees thrown back at you from your neighbors and farmers that are trying to make a living too.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
Give me a break. The farmers are doing nothing wrong. If you live near farms/ in the country you can obviously expect the repercussions of living near farms/in the country. While I don't find the smell of chicken litter pleasant, but I also understand why they are doing it.

I have lived in the country my entire life, thus smelling chicken/hog litter frequently...it is par for the course if you live in the country.
Oh so that is what they mean when they say the natural state. I get it now. Beautiful view but smells like shi*****T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas