U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-18-2011, 09:26 AM
 
12,436 posts, read 10,703,908 times
Reputation: 3148

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyTisha View Post
Well, here in Mount Ida Arkansas, we have Good Ole' Days every year in May. Which gives us a time to hang out, visit with neighbors, and enjoy a car show. Then there's the Quartzs and Quilts festival, but I can't remember off the top of my head when it is. Every Saturday night from May until it gets too cold to have it (usually before winter sets in), there is the Front Porch music gathering on the court house lawn. Lots of pickin' and grinnin", if you know what I mean. Then we have the county fair, Friday night football games (we love our football), and Sunday morning church (followed by pizza at the shack). Top that off with the fact that we elect a Possum Queen each year, and I'm pretty sure we've got those Colorado towns beat!
Mt. Ida is that in a wet or dry county?

 
Old 05-18-2011, 10:00 AM
 
1,661 posts, read 4,618,283 times
Reputation: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyTisha View Post
Well, here in Mount Ida Arkansas, we have Good Ole' Days every year in May. Which gives us a time to hang out, visit with neighbors, and enjoy a car show. Then there's the Quartzs and Quilts festival, but I can't remember off the top of my head when it is. Every Saturday night from May until it gets too cold to have it (usually before winter sets in), there is the Front Porch music gathering on the court house lawn. Lots of pickin' and grinnin", if you know what I mean. Then we have the county fair, Friday night football games (we love our football), and Sunday morning church (followed by pizza at the shack). Top that off with the fact that we elect a Possum Queen each year, and I'm pretty sure we've got those Colorado towns beat!
Ayup

That's what I'm talkin' about.

Over the years, many folks have posted here, scared outta their britches that if they move into the state somebody's gonna invite them to a church.

If ya don't go to curch, how ya gonna find out who's cow had a calf, that Bob & Betty's daughter just went out on her first date, that Charlie's tractor bent an axle and he's real down about it.........

You know, the *important* stuff.

They don't put that in any paper and there's no time for it following the market report on the radio, ya understand.

BTW, Possum Queen's rock!
 
Old 05-19-2011, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Arkansas, USA
90 posts, read 259,918 times
Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Mt. Ida is that in a wet or dry county?
Mt. Ida is in a dry county. You have to drive 20 minutes east of town to get to the nearest liquor store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Ayup

That's what I'm talkin' about.

Over the years, many folks have posted here, scared outta their britches that if they move into the state somebody's gonna invite them to a church.

If ya don't go to curch, how ya gonna find out who's cow had a calf, that Bob & Betty's daughter just went out on her first date, that Charlie's tractor bent an axle and he's real down about it.........

You know, the *important* stuff.

They don't put that in any paper and there's no time for it following the market report on the radio, ya understand.

BTW, Possum Queen's rock!
Exactly!
 
Old 05-19-2011, 05:10 PM
 
12,436 posts, read 10,703,908 times
Reputation: 3148
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyTisha View Post
Mt. Ida is in a dry county. You have to drive 20 minutes east of town to get to the nearest liquor store.



Exactly!
If it is a dry county, for me, you don't have Colorado towns beat.
 
Old 05-19-2011, 07:43 PM
 
3,391 posts, read 6,338,909 times
Reputation: 3805
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
If it is a dry county, for me, you don't have Colorado towns beat.
So the ability to purchase alcohol in your town is a deal breaker for you???
 
Old 05-19-2011, 08:23 PM
 
Location: Arkansas, USA
90 posts, read 259,918 times
Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
If it is a dry county, for me, you don't have Colorado towns beat.
Thank goodness I don't have to worry about limiting my prospective places of residence according to how far away the liquort store is. lol
 
Old 05-20-2011, 10:17 AM
 
1,661 posts, read 4,618,283 times
Reputation: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyTisha View Post
Thank goodness I don't have to worry about limiting my prospective places of residence according to how far away the liquort store is. lol
Take a walk out in the woods, or the front yard, and you can find all kinds of good stuff to make wine out of.

Plus, if you don't have an injunction against your neighbors or sumpthin, most folks will be glad to help you build a still. Cookin' takes practice, so don't count on the first few batches.
 
Old 05-20-2011, 10:17 AM
 
12,436 posts, read 10,703,908 times
Reputation: 3148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
So the ability to purchase alcohol in your town is a deal breaker for you???
No, not a deal breaker, but certainly a factor. It is just an issue of convenience. I am not a big drinker, but it really stinks if you decide that you do want something and you have to drive 20 minutes to get it. The only answer is to stay stocked up I guess.

Of course, it does say something about the community that you live in that they are dry. In reality, it does not stop anyone from drinking only thing it stops is your county from making money off of the purchase and it only increases the odds that people will be drinking and driving from other establishments outside of the county. Just does not say a lot of good things about the voters who would vote for it.
 
Old 05-20-2011, 02:35 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
75,834 posts, read 88,714,300 times
Reputation: 46693
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
No, not a deal breaker, but certainly a factor. It is just an issue of convenience. I am not a big drinker, but it really stinks if you decide that you do want something and you have to drive 20 minutes to get it. The only answer is to stay stocked up I guess.

Of course, it does say something about the community that you live in that they are dry. In reality, it does not stop anyone from drinking only thing it stops is your county from making money off of the purchase and it only increases the odds that people will be drinking and driving from other establishments outside of the county. Just does not say a lot of good things about the voters who would vote for it.
come on hotair,

A dry area does not always mean more drunk drivers. The biggest argument is: giving the tax on liqour to some other county or city, that is what we saw in No Texas when we lived there. Our town was dry (is no longer) and the neighboring town was not; People would go to the next town, buy booze and do their grocery shopping at the same time. The city lost thousnands of dollars annually and finally wised up. Why are you saying a city or county that is dry isn't saying much for the voters? Lord knows no one likes a glass or two of wine more than me, but 1-we try not to run out and 2-some counties like Benton haven't even seen it on the ballot lately. What does that say about Benton county, we are all tea tottlers or religious nuts? I really don't get what you are driving at.

Nita
 
Old 05-20-2011, 03:33 PM
 
12,436 posts, read 10,703,908 times
Reputation: 3148
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
come on hotair,

A dry area does not always mean more drunk drivers. The biggest argument is: giving the tax on liqour to some other county or city, that is what we saw in No Texas when we lived there. Our town was dry (is no longer) and the neighboring town was not; People would go to the next town, buy booze and do their grocery shopping at the same time. The city lost thousnands of dollars annually and finally wised up. Why are you saying a city or county that is dry isn't saying much for the voters? Lord knows no one likes a glass or two of wine more than me, but 1-we try not to run out and 2-some counties like Benton haven't even seen it on the ballot lately. What does that say about Benton county, we are all tea tottlers or religious nuts? I really don't get what you are driving at.

Nita
I thought I was pretty clear. If I am in a dry county, I am driving at a different county to a liquor store.

Just because a county is dry does not mean the whole county is nuts; however, it does mean that at one time a majority voted for it, and a majority has not put it on the ballot for a long time. You make your own conclusions about the majority of that county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top