U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2011, 06:25 PM

34 posts, read 68,739 times

Advertisements

We have been to Eureka Springs twice: once in early spring and once in the summer. We love the old city and the beautiful mountains. We are looking for a place to retire that is more art oriented that we can go hiking and window shopping and meet interesting people. We were shocked when we went hiking and returned with 4 ticks one day and 3 ticks the next. I've never had this happen before. The second draw back we found was it was hot and humid in the summer visit. We were told it was a rare heat wave?

Is anyone familiar with Eureka Springs? What are your impressions? Thanks, Jony

Old 05-31-2011, 07:16 AM

39,020 posts, read 23,141,190 times
Ticks and chiggers are part of life in Arkansas, even in Eureka Springs. Spray well before you go hiking, check yourself closely afterwards. Summers are hot and humid. Eureka Springs catches a break a lot of times on the heat and humidity because it's up in the hills, but it's still going to get hot and humid. Not as hot and humid as New Orleans. But there aren't any ocean breezes in Arkansas.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:45 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,357,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jony in NOLA View Post
We were shocked when we went hiking and returned with 4 ticks one day and 3 ticks the next. I've never had this happen before.
I'm shocked, too.

Usually you'll pick up at least 6.

DEET - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wait'll ya meet up with a good bunch of chiggers.

Yessiree.....

That's when the fun factor gets kicked into high gear.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:47 PM

1 posts, read 6,768 times
It is best to go hiking in the winter, or you can just go walking downtown, up and down the streets and steps! The people are what really makes Eureka Springs home and everyone is welcome. There are always many things to do with friends and tourist.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:33 AM

69,250 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jony in NOLA View Post
We have been to Eureka Springs twice: once in early spring and once in the summer. We love the old city and the beautiful mountains. We are looking for a place to retire that is more art oriented that we can go hiking and window shopping and meet interesting people. We were shocked when we went hiking and returned with 4 ticks one day and 3 ticks the next. I've never had this happen before. The second draw back we found was it was hot and humid in the summer visit. We were told it was a rare heat wave?

Is anyone familiar with Eureka Springs? What are your impressions? Thanks, Jony
The pros: like you are finding out it is an artsy community and very charming with lots of interesting people and though it is a small town, it isn't far from the conveniences of a bigger city. You are not far from medical care, shopping etc. and there are lots of fun things to do within an hours drive.

Cons: the city is very touristy and the traffic etc in the summer and early fall can be fierce, followed by a complete shut down in the winter. As for the hot summers, yes, last summer was unusually hot here in NWA but I have yet to be to NOLA when the weather hasn't been pretty crappy as well. I don't think the humidity in Eureka Springs is anything like NOLA. Back to the traffic, it is different from New Orleans as the community is so small you can't escape the summer tourists. In places like Vegas and New Orleans residentual communities do not have to mingle with the tourist attractions. Also, you there are lots of creatures, but to escape the tick problem use anything with DEET in it and just check closely when you finish your hiking.

Everyone has his/her own ideas about retirement or living period, but I don't think Eureka Springs would be at the top of my list. Have you thought about Hot Springs, It is touristy as well, but larger and does seem to have much of what you are looking for in a retirement location. This is just a thought.

Good luck deciding. I would visit again in winter to get a good idea of what you would be getting. I do not mean to put Eureka Springs down by any means, it is a charming place, I just think you should visit in the winter.

Nita

Old 07-24-2011, 06:41 AM

18 posts, read 38,885 times
Well, personally I love living here, but not everyone loves or fits into Eureka. Like many other residents I was drawn here, and and feel like I will always be home in ES. If you have visited and it didn't "grab" you, maybe you should look elsewhere.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:19 AM

3,326 posts, read 2,614,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderlandntks1 View Post
Well, personally I love living here, but not everyone loves or fits into Eureka. Like many other residents I was drawn here, and and feel like I will always be home in ES. If you have visited and it didn't "grab" you, maybe you should look elsewhere.
You couldn't be more right about that. My mother and stepfather bought a home in eu. It didn't take long for my stepfather to get into a slew of problems. If you aren't into that cool, edgy, hippy, new age, homosexual, druggy, thing, you won't feel welcome there these days. The last person I met that was actually born and raised there from people with with longtime roots there...........lived in russellville.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:08 AM

4,748 posts, read 6,144,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
You couldn't be more right about that. My mother and stepfather bought a home in eu. It didn't take long for my stepfather to get into a slew of problems. If you aren't into that cool, edgy, hippy, new age, homosexual, druggy, thing, you won't feel welcome there these days. The last person I met that was actually born and raised there from people with with longtime roots there...........lived in russellville.
My mom (73, church-going, conservative) keeps dreaming of living in ES. I've told her and told her that the beautiful homes and buildings wouldn't be enough to keep her happy, that sooner or later she'd get tired of it because of.....what you said. She still thinks of it as being the way it was when she would go up there 30 or 40 years ago, even though she's been there many times since then, most recently last Thanksgiving.

ES is a nice, even wonderful, place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:12 AM

18 posts, read 38,885 times
Wow... you make us sound like we are all creepers here. The thing about Eureka is that you can choose what you like and then do it. No one is dragging anyone into a drug scene or homosexual relationship (haha). It is the same anywhere in the world, Eureka is just smaller and more in your face. Those of us who love it here seem to have the live and let live motto. I won't dis your bag as long as you leave my bag alone too.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:55 PM

227 posts, read 274,541 times
I love ES. For me, it is a place to visit because I get much more out of it than I know I would if I lived there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas