Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 06:46 PM

5 posts, read 10,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elainebenes View Post
A few days ago someone told me to check out the Rebel Flag/Gun Rack thread in the Arkansas section. I did, and was amazed at what I read. I've spent time going through many other threads in the Arkansas section as well, and I'm trying to figure out where this "Southern Hospitality" thing is. I don't think it's in Arkansas.

It seems that your state suffers all too often from jokes having to do with backwards/overly religious/hunting crazy/Wal-Mart shopping/flag waving fanatics. I've seen nothing to change my mind after reading many of the posts in this section. People ask simple questions about your state and get the common "We like who we are, so leave us alone" response A LOT!

I've spent time in the Alabama, Missisissippi, and North Carolina sections of the forum and not seen any of the poor attitude that's around here.

Far away in Oregon, I guess my thoughts about your state have been solidified.

I left rural Arkansas 30+ years ago as a teenager. I couldn't wait to leave. But, here I am retiring and guess where I am going. Back to rural Arkansas. It did not take me 30 years to realize what I had in Arkansas, just 30 years to be able to return to a place I have always considered my home.

And no, I was not born and raised in AR. I was born in CA and moved here at the age of 7.

What does your living in Oregon have to do with anything? I live in WA and do not see a "poor attitute" on the forums.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:14 PM

4 posts, read 6,686 times
And that's fine by me. I am defensive of my home state and my (and most of the people I know) way of life, and I make no apologies for that. I understand that many people in the state are more "open minded" than I am, and that isn't a problem either. I voice my opinion loudly here because it's relatively anonymous, and it's not one of the primary forums I frequent. Therefore, negative backlash is of no consequence to me. I don't dip Red Seal, nor do I attend church. My point isn't that the people of Arkansas are closed minded, but rather are the people who have never taken the time to visit, and stigmatize us for what we are not, simply because a great majority of us sit on different principles than they do.

I had similar bad feelings towards "Yankees" and others. Anyone from the New England states, the Californians, Northwesterners, and Canadians were all fair play for me. Turns out, I deal with a handful of people from eath of these areas every day at my job. I was dead wrong about them. HOWEVER, since I am in the tractor/agricultural industy, I have learned that the people in rural areas who use our products and services are a completely different breed than those who live under the lights of the city.

Think of the backwoods rednecks like a snake. You might not like it, and it might not like you. But if you leave it alone, it will never harm you in any way. Chase it with a hoe or broom, and you just might get bitten.
Some people need to simply accept the fact that we like being who we are, and we don't want or need to change.

So there is my mouth-breathing, window licking, camo wearing, flag waving response for all to enjoy.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:37 PM

243 posts, read 274,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweptvolume View Post
And that's fine by me. I am defensive of my home state and my (and most of the people I know) way of life, and I make no apologies for that. I understand that many people in the state are more "open minded" than I am, and that isn't a problem either. I voice my opinion loudly here because it's relatively anonymous, and it's not one of the primary forums I frequent. Therefore, negative backlash is of no consequence to me. I don't dip Red Seal, nor do I attend church. My point isn't that the people of Arkansas are closed minded, but rather are the people who have never taken the time to visit, and stigmatize us for what we are not, simply because a great majority of us sit on different principles than they do.

I had similar bad feelings towards "Yankees" and others. Anyone from the New England states, the Californians, Northwesterners, and Canadians were all fair play for me. Turns out, I deal with a handful of people from eath of these areas every day at my job. I was dead wrong about them. HOWEVER, since I am in the tractor/agricultural industy, I have learned that the people in rural areas who use our products and services are a completely different breed than those who live under the lights of the city.

Think of the backwoods rednecks like a snake. You might not like it, and it might not like you. But if you leave it alone, it will never harm you in any way. Chase it with a hoe or broom, and you just might get bitten.
Some people need to simply accept the fact that we like being who we are, and we don't want or need to change.

So there is my mouth-breathing, window licking, camo wearing, flag waving response for all to enjoy.
I understand completely what your saying. I don't know know why all these people are so bent on making people change if they don't want to, they'll take a place that is as close to heaven on earth as you can find, and a bunch of people who haven't done a thing to them and do their best to destroy both. I mean I don't want to live in San Francisco or New York or Chicago There are LOTS of places in this country where liberals rule the roost. Why does it have to be everywhere? Why does every square inch of MY HOME have to be turned into a place I don't like?

Old 11-11-2010, 09:38 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,904,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellwater View Post
I understand completely what your saying. I don't know know why all these people are so bent on making people change if they don't want to, they'll take a place that is as close to heaven on earth as you can find, and a bunch of people who haven't done a thing to them and do their best to destroy both. I mean I don't want to live in San Francisco or New York or Chicago There are LOTS of places in this country where liberals rule the roost. Why does it have to be everywhere? Why does every square inch of MY HOME have to be turned into a place I don't like?
You make it political. All people who live in rural areas are not conservative nor or all people that live in urban areas liberal. Face the facts people are going to move where ever they want to move. It is an unreasonable expectation for someone moving from Chicago to expect the same quality and quantity of services in a rural town. It is only human nature to try to change things to better suit themselves. If you don't like it, I guess that is something you will have to deal with. People in the U.S. have migrated from the city to the country since the very beginning of our country and they have brought their customs and culture with them. I doubt that is going to change anytime soon.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:15 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,160,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
You make it political. All people who live in rural areas are not conservative nor or all people that live in urban areas liberal. Face the facts people are going to move where ever they want to move. It is an unreasonable expectation for someone moving from Chicago to expect the same quality and quantity of services in a rural town. It is only human nature to try to change things to better suit themselves. If you don't like it, I guess that is something you will have to deal with. People in the U.S. have migrated from the city to the country since the very beginning of our country and they have brought their customs and culture with them. I doubt that is going to change anytime soon.
I see both sides to this: you are right, not everyone in rural areas or cities fit a particular sterotype and shouldn't. Our country, regardless is a melthing pot, but I also understand what he was saying: He prefers to live life as it is and doesn't want people coming to his town, city, whateve and trying to make changes.

I have seen this too many times, people leave an area and try to change their new enviornment into what they want. This isn't saying all change is bad, there is always room for improvement, just don't expect to push your (I don't mean yours') down other throats. If you are going to live in a rural setting, you are probably going to have to learn to live with more conservative values and if you live in am urban area you will need to adapt to more liberal views of things.

Nita

Old 11-11-2010, 07:47 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,677,898 times
I think saying the state is being overrun by liberals is a long stretch.

There is a difference between having change forced on your culture and adapting to an external world which is rapidly changing.
You don't want to end up bringing bows and arrows to a gunfight (metaphorically speaking).
I know some people want everyone to just speak English rather than having kids learn a foreign language. I'm going to make sure my kids have the tactical advantage of learning at least two languages at an early age.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
No, not specifically you. I'm talking about "us" flag waving, Red Seal dipping, truck driving, gun owning Conservatives that the elite left like to portray as knuckle dragging neanderthals that need to pull themselves out of the abyss (ie: Church based community, ethical and moral values, etc) and "progress" into overeducated elitist status.
What city do you reside in Arkansas?

Old 11-12-2010, 08:44 AM

4 posts, read 6,686 times
Quote:
What city do you reside in Arkansas?
18 years in Dardanelle, 3 years in Russellville, and one year in Springdale. Currently living in Houston, Texas.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
18 years in Dardanelle, 3 years in Russellville, and one year in Springdale. Currently living in Houston, Texas.
Houston offers a lot of opportunity...certainly more than Dardanelle. Maybe you should stay there for a while

Old 11-12-2010, 09:36 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,427,463 times
Quote:
You are exactly right. Migration from place to place brings change and adaptation. Just think. One day a long time ago the first gay dude moved to San Francisco! And the rest is history!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas