U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 10:00 AM

69,387 posts, read 79,618,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
I think saying the state is being overrun by liberals is a long stretch.

There is a difference between having change forced on your culture and adapting to an external world which is rapidly changing.
You don't want to end up bringing bows and arrows to a gunfight (metaphorically speaking).
I know some people want everyone to just speak English rather than having kids learn a foreign language. I'm going to make sure my kids have the tactical advantage of learning at least two languages at an early age.
I agree with most of what you are saying. I do not think the state is being over run with liberals. Look at the election results just 10 days ago?

I also like your idea about kids speaking more than one language. Where I disagree with you and maybe I am reading this wrong: you seem to think it is more important for our children to speak a second languarge than everyone living in our country to speak English. I think this is 100% wrong. Everyone living in America should speak English with the rare exception of those who moved, with family (legally) when they were elderly. I do not expect people in their 60s plus to try and learn another launguage unless they choose to learn.

N ita

Old 11-12-2010, 10:03 AM

12,439 posts, read 9,962,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
You are exactly right. Migration from place to place brings change and adaptation. Just think. One day a long time ago the first gay dude moved to San Francisco! And the rest is history!!!!!!!!
So you are considering moving to San Francisco? This is an Arkansas forum... not San Francisco. If you are wishing to move there, you probably will want to look at that page of CD. Good luck with the move.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:22 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,226,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I agree with most of what you are saying. I do not think the state is being over run with liberals. Look at the election results just 10 days ago?

I also like your idea about kids speaking more than one language. Where I disagree with you and maybe I am reading this wrong: you seem to think it is more important for our children to speak a second languarge than everyone living in our country to speak English. I think this is 100% wrong. Everyone living in America should speak English with the rare exception of those who moved, with family (legally) when they were elderly. I do not expect people in their 60s plus to try and learn another launguage unless they choose to learn.

N ita
I'm learning to teach English to non-native speakers.

I think it's more important that my children will speak more than one language because what should be isn't always what is.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:34 AM

69,387 posts, read 79,618,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
I'm learning to teach English to non-native speakers.

I think it's more important that my children will speak more than one language because what should be isn't always what is.
We will have to agree to disagree on this: I think both are important. You obviously have the ability to teach your children more than one langurage which is a blessing for you and them. I think multi languages is wonderful, but I also believe anyone living in this country, should speak English. I am aware, living in So Ca, NM and Texas not all who live here speak our Language, but this doesn't make me feel any differently.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas