U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-05-2007, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Hometown of Jason Witten
5,985 posts, read 3,641,256 times
Reputation: 1914

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elainebenes View Post
A few days ago someone told me to check out the Rebel Flag/Gun Rack thread in the Arkansas section. I did, and was amazed at what I read. I've spent time going through many other threads in the Arkansas section as well, and I'm trying to figure out where this "Southern Hospitality" thing is. I don't think it's in Arkansas.

It seems that your state suffers all too often from jokes having to do with backwards/overly religious/hunting crazy/Wal-Mart shopping/flag waving fanatics. I've seen nothing to change my mind after reading many of the posts in this section. People ask simple questions about your state and get the common "We like who we are, so leave us alone" response A LOT!

I've spent time in the Alabama, Missisissippi, and North Carolina sections of the forum and not seen any of the poor attitude that's around here.

Far away in Oregon, I guess my thoughts about your state have been solidified.

What is so bad about hunting, going to church, shopping at Wal-Mart and waving the flag? No activity is wrong simply because you Far Left liberal wackos don't like it.

 
Old 08-05-2007, 10:34 AM
 
1,210 posts, read 1,037,445 times
Reputation: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by elainebenes View Post
A few days ago someone told me to check out the Rebel Flag/Gun Rack thread in the Arkansas section. I did, and was amazed at what I read. I've spent time going through many other threads in the Arkansas section as well, and I'm trying to figure out where this "Southern Hospitality" thing is. I don't think it's in Arkansas.

It seems that your state suffers all too often from jokes having to do with backwards/overly religious/hunting crazy/Wal-Mart shopping/flag waving fanatics. I've seen nothing to change my mind after reading many of the posts in this section. People ask simple questions about your state and get the common "We like who we are, so leave us alone" response A LOT!

I've spent time in the Alabama, Missisissippi, and North Carolina sections of the forum and not seen any of the poor attitude that's around here.

Far away in Oregon, I guess my thoughts about your state have been solidified.
Some bimbo insults are way of life and I am going to be nice, I don't think so.

It would be my best guess, If their is a post insulting any state and insulting the people in that state the people going to be less than nice.

And I also say you are just trolling .
 
Old 08-05-2007, 10:38 AM
 
1,210 posts, read 1,037,445 times
Reputation: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
What is so bad about hunting, going to church, shopping at Wal-Mart and waving the flag? No activity is wrong simply because you Far Left liberal wackos don't like it.
Nothing is worng with it, It's are way of life.
Good post tell it like it is....
 
Old 08-05-2007, 10:46 AM
 
Location: So. Dak.
13,495 posts, read 33,437,841 times
Reputation: 15044
Upon request, I have reviewed this thread in the short absence of your own Mod. I've decided to leave it open for this reason~there is much more content here then just rehashing something in a closed thread. Actually, I believe it has little to do with it.

Adding~when I reviewed the thread, the last two posts weren't visible to me when I posted this. I'm going to ask you to refrain from name calling and hostility. EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion even if our views are different.

Last edited by Jammie; 08-05-2007 at 11:10 AM..
 
Old 08-05-2007, 10:52 AM
 
1 posts, read 2,413 times
Reputation: 12
Default Rural Arkansas-Get with the program!

I was born and raised in Southwest Arkansas. I still have family in Arkansas (in the Hope and Hot Springs area, so I visit quite often). I now live in Austin, Texas (but have also lived in Kansas City, Missouri and Colorado). Every single place I lived has had an awful view of the state of Arkansas. It always enrages me, and I usually defend my home state. But I'm telling you, after having a governor like Mike Huckabee representing Arkansas, and then reading some of these ridiculous threads, it's getting harder and harder to defend The Natural State. You guys have got to get with the program like the rest of the country!!! Please stop with the racial slurs, the fundamental/far right political views, and the judgemental views of the world we live in. Granted, I'm being judgemental as I read this, but it's taken me a while to realize that as the rest of the world progresses, parts of Arkansas stand still as if it's still 1950. Help all of us former Arkansans defend you guys!!!
 
Old 08-05-2007, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC (in my mind)
7,946 posts, read 14,605,230 times
Reputation: 4457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
What is so bad about hunting, going to church, shopping at Wal-Mart and waving the flag? No activity is wrong simply because you Far Left liberal wackos don't like it.
Its not that there is anything wrong with these things for those who enjoy them, but why can't people in this state realize that not everybody is a bible-beating, bush-loving, huntin', fishin' right-wing Baptist Republican? Life is hell here for people who are not because everyone is so closed minded.

Last edited by bchris02; 08-05-2007 at 11:53 AM..
 
Old 08-05-2007, 12:15 PM
 
1,210 posts, read 1,037,445 times
Reputation: 540
I can only sepeak for myself, and coming from California to Arkansas I can only say goods things since we've been here, the people are nice and we moved here because of the way it is....

We have met some very talented people here that we are glad to know...
 
Old 08-05-2007, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Somewhere close to Heber, AR
388 posts, read 1,616,975 times
Reputation: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Its not that there is anything wrong with these things for those who enjoy them, but why can't people in this state realize that not everybody is a bible-beating, bush-loving, huntin', fishin' right-wing Baptist Republican? Life is hell here for people who are not because everyone is so closed minded.
Well, since the mod(s) decided to leave it open, .

Why can't outsiders realize that not everybody that posts an opinion counter to what you believe is a " bible-beating, bush-loving, huntin', fishin' right-wing Baptist Republican". (On a personal note, I'm actually only about half of those, but I'll leave you to sort out which half).

I'd also wager that if you find that "Life is hell here for people who are not", it's a hell of your own making by not respecting that others might have a different outlook on life and that your views have no more import than anyone elses.

Instead of fussing and fuming about what you think we are (in your eyes), how about looking inward and see what you are and see if you can't find a little spot that can accept differences.
 
Old 08-05-2007, 12:47 PM
 
1,210 posts, read 1,037,445 times
Reputation: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by magrack View Post
The thread was locked for a reason, yet you felt you just had to come to the state board and bring it up again to start another fuss.

For what purpose?

You've formed your opinions...fine, but do you really think it's necessary to start another thread about a locked thread, and if so why?

AFAIC, you're just another troll.

I shouldn't have even responded to this myself, but since our Mod has a real life and isn't always here, I have no problem with pointing at you and calling BS when I see it.
The first thread should not have been locked in the first place. If someone doesn't like a thread then Don't go back to it.
 
Old 08-05-2007, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,297 posts, read 79,490,574 times
Reputation: 38656
Quote:
Originally Posted by patterson_mandy View Post
I was born and raised in Southwest Arkansas. I still have family in Arkansas (in the Hope and Hot Springs area, so I visit quite often). I now live in Austin, Texas (but have also lived in Kansas City, Missouri and Colorado). Every single place I lived has had an awful view of the state of Arkansas. It always enrages me, and I usually defend my home state. But I'm telling you, after having a governor like Mike Huckabee representing Arkansas, and then reading some of these ridiculous threads, it's getting harder and harder to defend The Natural State. You guys have got to get with the program like the rest of the country!!! Please stop with the racial slurs, the fundamental/far right political views, and the judgemental views of the world we live in. Granted, I'm being judgemental as I read this, but it's taken me a while to realize that as the rest of the world progresses, parts of Arkansas stand still as if it's still 1950. Help all of us former Arkansans defend you guys!!!
I really think naming someone as the reason the state has problems is close to as bad as calling people on this board names, We all have our views on politcs, but I don't really think you beleive that someone who was governor for a short time really has held the state back? Parts of many states has stood still, some states have progressed the other way, what about all the problems in Califoria right now. WHo would you like to blame thier problems on? BTW, I am not a right wing fundamentalist. I do believe AR is backyards in some ways. I live in NM right now, it too is backwards. Many smaller states are not as progressive as others, maybe that is what makes them desirable to some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top