U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 12:54 PM

11,878 posts, read 32,941,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elainebenes View Post
A few days ago someone told me to check out the Rebel Flag/Gun Rack thread in the Arkansas section. I did, and was amazed at what I read. I've spent time going through many other threads in the Arkansas section as well, and I'm trying to figure out where this "Southern Hospitality" thing is. I don't think it's in Arkansas.

It seems that your state suffers all too often from jokes having to do with backwards/overly religious/hunting crazy/Wal-Mart shopping/flag waving fanatics. I've seen nothing to change my mind after reading many of the posts in this section. People ask simple questions about your state and get the common "We like who we are, so leave us alone" response A LOT!

I've spent time in the Alabama, Missisissippi, and North Carolina sections of the forum and not seen any of the poor attitude that's around here.

Far away in Oregon, I guess my thoughts about your state have been solidified.
Sure there are radicals in Arkansas, as there are in my home state of Oklahoma, as well as Texas, Nevada, California, Ohio, Nebraska, Kansas, New Mexico, Mississippi, Florida, Kentucky, OREGON, and <do I need to list the rest of the states?>.

I hate these threads where people take an entire state and run it down because of what they perceive to be something that is not to their liking. I lived in Arkansas for a year, in a very small town. The people there were nice and friendly, and down-to-earth. Just because you want to troll around and reinforce stereotypes doesn't mean that you'll get away with it.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:12 PM

365 posts, read 891,923 times
Ira500, Smokin' in Style, don't know that one but I'll definitely check it out when I go back to Hot Springs in October. Thanks for the recommendation.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:43 PM

1,740 posts, read 2,933,798 times
I haven't been in Arkansas since 1979, but I must say that there are very few places that are as beautiful as the northwestern part of the state. Heck, I married a gal from Little Rock, so I think I might have to sleep on the sofa if I made any unkind comments about the folks who live there.

One question: Does AQ Fried Chicken still rank as the best anywhere?

Old 08-10-2007, 03:34 PM

16 posts, read 52,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I really think naming someone as the reason the state has problems is close to as bad as calling people on this board names, We all have our views on politcs, but I don't really think you beleive that someone who was governor for a short time really has held the state back? Parts of many states has stood still, some states have progressed the other way, what about all the problems in Califoria right now. WHo would you like to blame thier problems on? BTW, I am not a right wing fundamentalist. I do believe AR is backyards in some ways. I live in NM right now, it too is backwards. Many smaller states are not as progressive as others, maybe that is what makes them desirable to some.
what is wrong with hunting and fishing? we all like to eat right? that meat you buy in the grocery store doesnt wrap itself and it costs alot. And dont you think we would feel more united as a people if we werent made to feel bad about being patriotic and proud to wave our flag? and believing in god or any higher power helps keeps us humble and from becoming arogant, it also serves as a guide to becoming a better person. I am born and raised in california and i can tell you, you wont find more racism and prejudice especialy against white people anywhere els in the nation, not saying that racism is ok of any kind its just it goes overlooked in california so, who realy is to say whos backwards? remember arogance is blinding and being angry is human and ok!!

Old 08-11-2007, 09:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,821 times
Maybe folks are just tired of being told what to do and when to do it. you see so many people migrating now days, yet they feel compeled to change the places they are moving into to be cookie cutters of where they left. The ignorance I see in several states, (I travel a great deal) is more often than not the people that are moving in. they do not take the time to see the beauty of the culture in that area. Call it what you will but don't try to change a place to suit you, maybe the people there are just as happy not to have YOU as a neighbor.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:40 PM

4 posts, read 20,788 times
Good Lord!.....no I am NOT a Republican....lol
I am happy I did not pick Arkansas to consider relocation to. This Forum is wacked!..... I know that there are many good people in Arkansas.......just not on this forum.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:50 AM

41 posts, read 139,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootsncharley View Post
I am happy I did not pick Arkansas to consider relocation to. This Forum is wacked!..... I know that there are many good people in Arkansas.......just not on this forum.
what are you basing this on?

Old 08-12-2007, 05:31 AM

5,981 posts, read 15,913,806 times
Quote:
Toots, you're REALLY new to this forum and have posted only in the AZ and CA forums......and you're basing your opinion on the few posts you may have read on this forum??? And you live in CA - have you ever been to Arkansas to meet the people? The forum is wacked? If you're already making plans to leave San Jose for N Carolina, then why in the world did you find it necessary to make your comment here? If you didn't ever even consider Arkansas as a place to relocate to, your post seems a little prejudiced against the state without ever having found out much about the people here - and not the people that necessarily frequent the blue screen...

Old 08-12-2007, 07:07 AM

19 posts, read 87,858 times
Hey Toots........WHY are you trolling the Arkansas forum? I read this forum because I have chosen Arkansas for relocation. And, I'm happy to say, I will be moving to Arkansas in a couple of weeks.

What's so hard about respecting what other people wish to do? As long as it's not physically hurting anyone, who cares?

I'm not going to drag Texas with me. And believe me, no one will hear me whine about Arkansas. We have had some problems with neighbors at the beginning, but that has been rectified. We WILL be left alone, but that
doesn't mean we have problems with everyone. And if some people don't like us being there, well.............tough. I have the same problem in Texas, and I've been here for 30 years. You get rude people no matter where you go.

I'm coming there to pursue a better life. I have picked Arkansas cause I like it. If others don't like Arkansas (or any other state) don't move there, and just shut up about it. You wouldn't like people to trash your location I'm sure.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:14 AM

69,368 posts, read 79,577,446 times
Quote:
Guess what? I bet the people in AR are pretty happy you didn't decide as well. It has little to do with Republicans, last time I checked there were a whole lot more democrats in the state, but this doesn't mean they won't continue to hunt and fish (not a political issue) they will continue to wave the flag, be pround to be Americans, go to church on Sunday or certainly believe in church, take time to vote, not judge people by what they have financually, but what they have in their hearts. The state is deversified, with all life styles living together. It is a beautiful state, with wild life, clean air, uncroweded small towns, little cities and yes, big cities as well. They do not marry thier cousins, nor do they get married at 12 ;years old. I was born and raised in Calif, educated there, married and had my 3 children there. Guess what? I wouldn't go back on a bet and most of our friends, who are still there would leave if they had a chance. I want to live somewhere that doesn't have 1/2 of their population illegal.

The wacko on this board as you call them are those who blast Arkansas, not those who defend it.

Nita

ps: a couple more things, you think you want to live in No Carolina and you are not a republican which I take to mean not conservative, you are turning your nose down on Arkansas, which I am guessing has to do with the life style people in AR have chosen, maybe you think they are all rednecks, well, enjoy living in No Carolina. Don't think you are going to take any part of California with you. It would much easier to take part of AR.

I don't know anything about you, whether you are married, have kids etc. but you better mind your manners and if you have them remember every adult is Mr and Mrs or Sir, kids and adults too are very polite, just like AR.

Last edited by nmnita; 08-12-2007 at 07:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas