Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 01:14 PM

388 posts, read 1,784,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The first thread should not have been locked in the first place. If someone doesn't like a thread then Don't go back to it.
Not my call, but I think the mods might have decided that it really didn't have much to do with relocation or moving.

I don't have a problem with discussing a volatile subject; that's why I suggested it be moved to another part of the forum rather than where it was, but I can't say I was surprised that it got locked.

Once the mods locked it, I took it to mean "drop it"

Fine, if that's the rules, I can live with it, but starting a new thread rehashing the same old stuff does what?

Your mileage may vary.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:14 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Its not that there is anything wrong with these things for those who enjoy them, but why can't people in this state realize that not everybody is a bible-beating, bush-loving, huntin', fishin' right-wing Baptist Republican? Life is hell here for people who are not because everyone is so closed minded.
and not every Baptist is a Republican, I think Pres Clinton would agree. This relates to Democrats, many liberal Democrats are part of the religious fundamentalists. If this wasn't the case 75% of those living in Arkansas would be Republicans. I know many Republicans that do not belong to any organized religion, I know many who do, but do not attend church regularly. Gneralizing about any group has always amazed me. BTW, if you haven't figured this out: I am a Repulican and also a regular church goer, but the religion I belong to is the most liberal in this country. What does that make me?

Nita

Old 08-05-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Remember the saying about stones and glass houses!
I think I got it!

"People who live in glass houses shouldn't undress."?

How's that for thread veer humor?

Old 08-05-2007, 02:04 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,653,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magrack View Post
I think I got it!

"People who live in glass houses shouldn't undress."?

How's that for thread veer humor?
Well, I guess that really depends on what they look like

Old 08-05-2007, 02:21 PM

Since beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I'm not qualified to make a judgment call on it.

Old 08-05-2007, 03:50 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and not every Baptist is a Republican, I think Pres Clinton would agree. This relates to Democrats, many liberal Democrats are part of the religious fundamentalists. If this wasn't the case 75% of those living in Arkansas would be Republicans. I know many Republicans that do not belong to any organized religion, I know many who do, but do not attend church regularly. Gneralizing about any group has always amazed me. BTW, if you haven't figured this out: I am a Repulican and also a regular church goer, but the religion I belong to is the most liberal in this country. What does that make me?

Nita
What denomination are you? I used to attend an Independent-Fundamental Baptist church, and they preached before the 2004 election that if you voted for a Democrat under any circumstance, it would secure your place in hell. I didn't go back to the church too many more times after that, and have recieved hell for it.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:37 PM

45 posts, read 267,886 times
Well, when I started this thread I was looking for some insight. It seems as though many of the stereotypes your state has been labeled with are true. I guess this doesn't make it a bad thing, but I get the feeling people are tired of defending a state that really is quite a bit different than most. Sure, most states have areas that would scare outsiders- your state just has more of them. I don't think this can be too upsetting as many people have agreed in this very thread.

So Arkansas is an interesting place for some interesting reasons. I guess we can leave it at that.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:47 PM

'K

But I think you'd have to visit the place to get a feel for what it is rather than judging an entire state on a few posts on the 'net.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems a little narrow minded to me.

Kind of like judging Scranton based on the TV program 'The Office'

Old 08-05-2007, 07:55 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,495,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elainebenes View Post
A few days ago someone told me to check out the Rebel Flag/Gun Rack thread in the Arkansas section. I did, and was amazed at what I read. I've spent time going through many other threads in the Arkansas section as well, and I'm trying to figure out where this "Southern Hospitality" thing is. I don't think it's in Arkansas.

It seems that your state suffers all too often from jokes having to do with backwards/overly religious/hunting crazy/Wal-Mart shopping/flag waving fanatics. I've seen nothing to change my mind after reading many of the posts in this section. People ask simple questions about your state and get the common "We like who we are, so leave us alone" response A LOT!

I've spent time in the Alabama, Missisissippi, and North Carolina sections of the forum and not seen any of the poor attitude that's around here.

Far away in Oregon, I guess my thoughts about your state have been solidified.
If you live in Oregon, why are you so interested in are beautiful state.
Just wondering.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:47 PM

45 posts, read 267,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
If you live in Oregon, why are you so interested in are beautiful state.
Just wondering.
I've been to North Carolina, Florida, and Georgia. That's probably the closest I've been to your area of the U.S., and that's not too close. I'm really interested in most all states that I don't know a lot about. The snake thread in this forum is great. We don't have venomous snakes in western Oregon, so I find it interesting.

I'm not basing my image of your state off of a few threads. I've thought and heard about these things for as long as I can remember.

I know all areas of this country are different for a variety of reasons, but the south tends to stand out even more so. It's no secret. That's what makes it interesting to me.

Oregon has a reputation for having a lot of book stores, microbrews, coffee places, hippies, liberals, and alternative lifestyles. Because I live around it it's no big deal, and not so interesting (but still great). Maybe somebody living in an area of the country without a lot of these things would be interested in knowing more about it. Maybe not. Either way, it's what makes your state kind of interesting to me- in sort of a strange way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas