U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2007, 10:15 AM

3,434 posts, read 8,488,679 times

Advertisements

Well from the NEA side..its all Southern..yeeeeeeeeeehaw-lol
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 07:41 PM

1,229 posts, read 2,641,291 times
Northwest Arkansas natives are southern. In NW Arkansas alot of people have moved in from various places, but there are still natives here that have strong southern values and hospitality and not to mention southern accents. Sadly there has been alot of people move in NWA that have taken away from its "southern" feeling, hospitality and values. I am a native, I was born and raised not 10 feet from were I live now. My parents and grandparents were born and raised here. Which now days is kind of hard to find because of Wal Mart, JB Hunt, Tyson and the U of A, but there are some of us left.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:39 PM

5,981 posts, read 15,216,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWMike View Post
Yep, Northwest Arkansas feels more like Missouri/Oklahoman to me, But once you start heading down towards the river valley and Mena, the southern hits you pretty quick. Most of Arkansas is textbook southern, which isn't a bad thing, I love going over there and experiencing the hospitality. Little Rock is a southern city without a doubt, but I think most visitors would be fairly suprised by how progressive the city is. A little caveat there, because some of the burbs go backwoods quick, but Little Rock is a fairly cultural little city.
Mike, you really must PM me before your next visit through the river valley....I just think we need to show these folks just how Southern we can be!

I absolutely agree with all of the posters above - each area of Arkansas can "feel" different - but it is still Arkansas and still the South all over, at least in my itty bitty mind.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:57 PM

154 posts, read 574,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
Northwest Arkansas natives are southern. In NW Arkansas alot of people have moved in from various places, but there are still natives here that have strong southern values and hospitality and not to mention southern accents. Sadly there has been alot of people move in NWA that have taken away from its "southern" feeling, hospitality and values. I am a native, I was born and raised not 10 feet from were I live now. My parents and grandparents were born and raised here. Which now days is kind of hard to find because of Wal Mart, JB Hunt, Tyson and the U of A, but there are some of us left.
Good and bad come with such an influx of population like NWA has experienced over the past 10 years - and this is why I enjoy living in Fayetteville even though I work in Bentonville. Fayetteville to me is the most "established" big town in NWA. Heck, its the home of the Arkansas Razorbacks!

Old 08-08-2007, 09:42 PM

1,210 posts, read 912,432 times
Default Ash Flat, Hardy area

What does the north east feel like? Ash Flat, Hardy area

Old 08-09-2007, 07:23 AM

3,434 posts, read 8,488,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
What does the north east feel like? Ash Flat, Hardy area
Typically southern, We go to Hardy, Ash Flat alot during the summer, however with the expansion of Cherokee Village, Spring River Beach Club, a few people have decided to move into the area, which is good for the town, back in the 70's Hardy was almost dead, as far as a bringing any new business in. Ash Flat is about the same as Hardy, its growing but still southern.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:42 AM

412 posts, read 1,292,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post

Yea, I sincerely hope that the people that are moving there are upholding the atmosphere of NW Arkansas. I like it just the way it is, however, it's already not quite as welcoming as Little Rock(which isn't a knock on NWA, Little Rock just has a real homey feel to it imho). I used to think of NWA as a cleaner, smaller Little Rock you could enjoy without having to dodge bullets, but it's beginning to have more of an Austin feel. That isn't bad as long as it retains that character it has.

Of course some would look at that and say why don't you move to Little Rock, I thought real long and sincere about that, but the recent incident in NLR at the Wal Mart reinforces my concern on living there. I've lived in a similar city before(Shreveport) and I hated having to feel like I was looking over my shoulder all the time when I left the house. I'd have to live in Conway, Benton or Beebe to feel safe, at that point might as well live in Fayetteville, lol. Last thing I want is an hour commute like I have now in Dallas after I move.

That brings up a couple of questions actually to those who live in West Little Rock. First of all, do your kids go to private school or is Robinson HS actually a good high school. Secondly do residents of West Little Rock or Maumelle actually feel safe and somewhat insulated from crime? I have trouble feeling like they do, but I have no real life answer on this. I know quite a few people in Arkansas, but I dont' know anyone who actually lives in the Little Rock metro, so I only have demographic stats to go off of.

I'm thinking west of Bowman road, Rodney Parham line, maybe Chenal Valley area if I keep LR in my options or Maumelle, but Maumelle is NLR school district right?

Last edited by DFWMike; 08-09-2007 at 09:04 AM..

Old 08-09-2007, 01:24 PM

7,945 posts, read 13,827,242 times
In my opinion, anywhere where people refer to beauty as "purdy", or when you go into a store somebody asks "may I hep y'all?" is as southern as you can get. This would go for the Ft. Smith area and the river valley. People in this area have the thickest southern drawls anywhere in the USA i've been, so much as you notice an out-of-towner immediately if their drawl is less intense. I used to have a neutral accent but after 6 years of living here, I have developed quite a drawl.

You also know its southern when "dinner" is at noon and "supper" is at 4PM.

Everyone I know though says NWA has a bit more of a midwestern feel with a greater variety of accents.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:35 PM

5,981 posts, read 15,216,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWMike View Post
That brings up a couple of questions actually to those who live in West Little Rock. First of all, do your kids go to private school or is Robinson HS actually a good high school. Secondly do residents of West Little Rock or Maumelle actually feel safe and somewhat insulated from crime? I have trouble feeling like they do, but I have no real life answer on this. I know quite a few people in Arkansas, but I dont' know anyone who actually lives in the Little Rock metro, so I only have demographic stats to go off of. I'm thinking west of Bowman road, Rodney Parham line, maybe Chenal Valley area if I keep LR in my options or Maumelle, but Maumelle is NLR school district right?
My kids are actually out of school, but my nephew went to Joe T and LOVED it....well, both of my nephews went and thought it was great - they had no desire to go to private school at all.

I think people out west feel pretty safe. I think those in Hillcrest and the Heights feel pretty safe, too, and for the most part they are...if there's anything, it's property crime but everyone lives so close together that they watch out for each other....there are more older folks the farther north from Markham that you go, but as far as safe, I'd say many, if not most, of the neighborhoods in Little Rock are relatively safe. You learn pretty fast which ones could be questionable.

The only problem with deep west is if you work downtown, you're going the same way as the traffic and into the sun, and vice versa in the afternoon....

No help here on Maumelle schools - I thought they were part of PCSSD - anyone know?

Last edited by Sam I Am; 08-09-2007 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: Because I butchered it the first time around

Old 08-09-2007, 02:40 PM

412 posts, read 1,292,329 times
You're right Sam, I checked Maumelle out and they are definately in Pulaski County Special School District. I remember they were making a bid at one point to have their own school district I'm guessing that failed. I had already checked great schools and counted out J.T.Fair, Robinson didn't have a great score either, I was just wondering what someone with personal experience with the school would think.

If I were to go on test scores alone from great schools, it seems, Bryant and Benton are the best shots on that side of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas