U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 07:53 AM

3,978 posts, read 7,147,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
IDk about Wynne, its been awhile since Ive been thru there, Leachville has good peaches..try Swihart orchards if your close to there. I do live on the ridge but further north than Wynne..about an hour.
Arguy,you must be pretty close to the part of Crowley's Ridge that I passed through on my way to Jonesboro when my son was at Arkansas State? ( That was in 86-87).

I am one of the transplants here in NW Ark. I moved here with my Arkansas husband in 77. It took me awhile, but now the locals do not even realize that I am not a 'native'. I did find that the old time Arkies were definitely 'southern'. Their children are still southern. But there are so many out of Stater's that have moved here, it is changing. ( But then, a lot of them are from Texas, so they are definitely southern. )

It used to be that everybody visited with one another, now that has almost stopped. The fact that most of them have television may be part of it?
It seems as though there is more family closeness here than in my home state of Idaho. Many of the family members have remained here for several generations. Some are still in the same area that their great grandparents lived. That seems like a southern trait (to me) ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 11:58 AM

3,326 posts, read 7,140,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by undertheironsea View Post
Northwest Arkansas is Midwestern, South and East Arkansas are Southern, and West/Central Arkansas are a mix of Southern and Midwestern. To me, at least.
Northwest AR is infested with ex-Californians. NOT midwestern in the slightest. There is a very distinct difference. But then agian, California was settled by a lot of ex-Midwesterners. So...... in a round about kind of way......

Old 06-13-2008, 12:17 PM

3,978 posts, read 7,147,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Northwest AR is infested with ex-Californians. NOT midwestern in the slightest. There is a very distinct difference. But then agian, California was settled by a lot of ex-Midwesterners. So...... in a round about kind of way......

I have not met any Californians in my area of the Ozarks. Maybe they like cities better ???
I do know of an awful lot of people from this area that went to Idaho and California during the Great Depression. Most of them never came back, but maybe their offspring are ??

Old 06-13-2008, 04:35 PM

564 posts, read 1,992,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Well, I was trying to kinda work in generals...it more or less just reminds me of bigger cities in the midwest--I went to high school in Nebraska and a lot of the people in NWA remind me of there.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:05 AM

3,326 posts, read 7,140,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
I have not met any Californians in my area of the Ozarks. Maybe they like cities better ???
I do know of an awful lot of people from this area that went to Idaho and California during the Great Depression. Most of them never came back, but maybe their offspring are ??
Maybe they do?I don't know. I'm just going on what I've heard/read from various sources.
Maybe it's mostly the Fayetteville corridor. Also, southwest Missouri has quite the influx from California. I've seen that quite a bit firsthand.
It's kind of sad, in a way, to see the migration out of California. It has certainly lost it's appeal. I used to like CA a lot. Now, I can barely muster the thought of just visiting there. Too expensive, too crowded, too many people trying to look perfect on the outside, insane politics...

Quote:
Well, I was trying to kinda work in generals...it more or less just reminds me of bigger cities in the midwest--I went to high school in Nebraska and a lot of the people in NWA remind me of there.
Fascinating the different viewpoints. My midwest experience is mostly KC, St. Louis, Chicago, Wisconsin, Iowa... NWA doesn't really make me think of those places too much. I agree it's not nearly as "southern" as other parts of Arkansas. I'm just not really sure how to describe it, though. It doesn't seem to have as much of the blue-collar, factory-type, working-class, lower-to-middle--middle class that I associate with the midwest. I realize, though, that even the midwest is losing that demographic as jobs leave the country for elsewhere.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:06 PM

73 posts, read 135,363 times
im from the northwest i was born in fayettville i like 2 think of myself as southern i really hope i am so yes i think all of arkansas is souther if im wrong tell me

Old 11-04-2009, 04:19 PM

73 posts, read 135,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcwilliams View Post
To answer the original question in this post, well my dear technically, anything below that good ole Mason-Dixon line is consisdred the south. Also, ask any arkansan. But In agreeance with a cpl of other posts, yes you get a different "feel" when you are in different regions, which is pretty cool. But when you strip all the implanted people away, good ol Arkansas is just a south as Mississippi, Louisiana, Oklahoma, etc........

i absolutely agree arkansas is just as southern as mississippi just not quite as strong an accent im arkansan and i was born in NWA and im still southern

Old 11-04-2009, 05:27 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,059,002 times
Implanted people

Come on, some of them are real.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:50 PM

1,661 posts, read 4,163,108 times
Default Is Arkansas "southern"?

I dunno.

I pick up musketballs from dirt turning every now & again.

There's an area on my farm that I've recovered "CSA" saddle tags.

But, hey.....don't let facts cloud your decisions.

May 6, 1861.

Confederate States of America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-04-2009, 08:37 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,527,850 times
You may be surprised about how many people in Arkansas preferred the Union over the Confederacy. The decision to secede was not made by a vote from the people; the politicians made the decision for everyone (69 to 1 vote for secession).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas