U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 06:46 AM

12,439 posts, read 9,281,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
I dunno.

I pick up musketballs from dirt turning every now & again.

There's an area on my farm that I've recovered "CSA" saddle tags.

But, hey.....don't let facts cloud your decisions.

May 6, 1861.

Confederate States of America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I believe anyone can call themselves whatever they want. If they want to be called southern, they have that right. An argument could be made that Arkansas is southern because they were on the confederate side of the civil war.

I am originally from Georgia and having lived there for most of my life and lived in Arkansas for six years, to me, they are very different. Culturally "The deep south" is completely different than most of the state of Arkansas; however a case could be made for the delta region of the state.
Deep South - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I say call yourself whatever you want to, but it does crack me up when I hear people from Oklahoma say that they are southern. I just don't get that, but that is just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 03:40 PM

34 posts, read 87,736 times
Default Interesting thread

Ok, so what about Van Buren co., Cleburne co. and White county? Southern, blend, just country,or ?

I now live in southeast Mo close to Cape Girardeau and this is the midwest to me. Of course, I was born and raised in MS. and even after 11 years of MO, I still don't care for it. (can't move yet)

I want to hear "ya'll" not "you guys'. I use the words "fixin to " all the time. And other southern sayings. Can't/won't change who I am.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:42 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,528,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngurl View Post
I want to hear "ya'll" not "you guys'. I use the words "fixin to " all the time. And other southern sayings. Can't/won't change who I am.
The words..... I don't really feel like a "southern" person compared to the people around me but I told my wife that I put "a gallon and a half" of gasoline in the mower and she said that it sounds like "gal 'n a half." I can see the confusion.

I have never spent time in the deep south (other than Florida for vacation), but Arkansas is sure as heck not Western or Midwestern. We may be our own breed.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:47 PM

799 posts, read 2,096,368 times
I consider myself Southern!!! We may not be the deep South,but we're definitely Southern.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:11 PM

436 posts, read 717,935 times
AR may be "considered" southern in lower parts of AR but northern AR is not.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:29 AM

837 posts, read 1,861,518 times
Little Rock is southern. I don't care what any of y'all say.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:55 PM

4,280 posts, read 7,704,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-b View Post
Little Rock is southern. I don't care what any of y'all say.
I agree and for the record I think Oklahoma is too.

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:15 PM

374 posts, read 615,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I believe anyone can call themselves whatever they want. If they want to be called southern, they have that right. An argument could be made that Arkansas is southern because they were on the confederate side of the civil war.

I am originally from Georgia and having lived there for most of my life and lived in Arkansas for six years, to me, they are very different. Culturally "The deep south" is completely different than most of the state of Arkansas; however a case could be made for the delta region of the state.
Deep South - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I say call yourself whatever you want to, but it does crack me up when I hear people from Oklahoma say that they are southern. I just don't get that, but that is just me.
Maybe Arkansas and Georgia aren't exactly the same because Georgia and Arkansas are two different states. My great great grandfather who fought and died in the Confederate army might disagree with your arrogant attitude. The only reason that areas of Arkansas would not be considered Southern would be from all the transplants dilluting our culture, like up around Fayetteville. But I was born and raised in Stone County, my family has been here for six generations, and I will be damned if people try to say that Arkansas is not in the South. My great great grandfather was a captain in the 1st Arkansas Cavalry had a plantation on the White River that was burned to the ground by Yankee cavalry, and if that isn't "Southern enough" for some of y'all outsiders, then I don't know what is. There is a Western influence in Arkansas that is different from other states in the Deep South, but it is and always will be a Southern state.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:24 PM

374 posts, read 615,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
You may be surprised about how many people in Arkansas preferred the Union over the Confederacy. The decision to secede was not made by a vote from the people; the politicians made the decision for everyone (69 to 1 vote for secession).

Over 60,000 Arkansans fought in the Confederate army, less than 10,000 fought for the Union. I think it's pretty clear which side the majority of Arkansans supported.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:35 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,125,753 times
Asking if Arkansas is southern is like asking if Indiana or Michigan is midwestern, or asking if Rhode Ilsand and Massachusetts is northeastern. What next??? Is California western??? Give me a break, Yall are from the south. Serve up the grits, have a sweet tea and sit a spell. Arkansas is about as southern as you can get. It may be different from Georgia, but they are BOTH southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas