U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-31-2011, 12:43 PM

48,394 posts, read 39,428,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
Good post. I personally would much rather spend time with what some would call "backwards" people....too me they are usually just country people.

I also think that is another reason Arkansans feel the need to defend themselves/our state is people come in here from all over the country/world and try to change us and our way of life to fit them instead of them changing to fit into our way of life.
This is one of the things we loved about NWA from day one, that plus the kids are more polite. (most of them anyway) I love my friends, I love living in BV and yes, most of the people here are college educated, but we also meet and mingle with lots of "plain ole country" types. Heck our grandson in law is the VP of a particular company here, he has a masters in engineering from AR and certainly is anything but backyards, but he is still country and that is what we love about him.

NIta

Old 07-31-2011, 12:56 PM

127 posts, read 99,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
There have been many time where people have referred to people in AR as being hillbillies, uneducated, unsophisticated, etc. both on the AR forum and many others.

Most of us are just giving our views and not trying to belittle others. If you have lived here for 38 years you certainly have run into those who think people in AR are all bible thumping, rednecks and not terribly bright. Even our universities are taken apart all the time. even some who post on this thread regularly take us apart from time to time.

Nita
Like Dutchman01 said earlier. He has found that he has met good people all over. I agree with this assessment as I have myself. I also agree that you can find rednecks, hillbillies, uneducated people all over the country.

There is always a little truth to stereotypes though and I believe Arkansas had a majority of people that were not "book" smart. Still today, look at the numbers of college graduates in not only Arkansas but the South compared to out West and the Northeast. Rough numbers but I believe it is like 17% compared to 76% (I might be off). That is how come we get labeled backwards. Not because they say we don't wear shoes or can't talk. I think it is more of a book thing. (Keep in mind I have found a lot of people that don't have a college degree to have more common sense and intellect than people with college degrees so don't label me in that camp.)

Again I will say, actions speak louder than words. You are what you accept to be. I am proud to be from Arkansas and I will take it everywhere I go. I am proud my alma mater is the University of Arkansas with my name etched in the sidewalk on campus and you can pry my degree from my cold, dead hands. You are only what you accept for people to label you. I don't have to tell people how Arkansas is not backwards, they see it when they are around me.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:04 PM

3,311 posts, read 1,340,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by necraven View Post
I said I have LIVED here all my life. I have traveled to all major cities in the US with the addition of 10 days across Italy from Milan to Rome and Hong Kong.
Ahh. Then you understand the benefits of travel. I have some wonderful memories of europe and europeans. I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:08 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,155,653 times
Back to the topic of other people's perceptions of Arkansas, please. Feel free to exchange DMs to discuss other topics such as the benefits of being well traveled, etc. Thanks.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:58 PM

1,235 posts, read 2,285,755 times
I don't think people get attacked here as long as they are respectful and don't just come here to complain in a nasty way. I have posted threads about how Arkansas cannot come with winter weather and bemoaning the lack of ethnic restaurants (how much that has changed in the last 2.5 years since I moved here!), and everyone discussed it with me very civilly. It all depends on the tone of the OP.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:05 PM

673 posts, read 850,511 times
"You defend what you love. You defend what your values. You defend what's yours"......

But you don't do that by attacking the other person....you can attack the opposing view, with facts, but do not attack the person with ugly comments....which IMO is what the OP is saying.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 07-31-2011, 04:05 PM

2,459 posts, read 3,333,941 times
Quote:
Why is it if anyone has a not so great opinion of Arkansas people get attacked here? I have seen multiple times on this forum where someone comes in and doesn't talk wonderful about Arkansas and they get eaten alive for it. Is it not okay to give different opinions here? Is this really the Truman Show?

A perfect example is a thread in the Boston forum. A guy puts up how much he hates living in Boston. IN THE BOSTON FORUM! Everyone in there just talked with him about it. No one attacked him or even really got upset about it. It was his opinion and it was valued. I understand comments that are just written to slam a place but when people make legitimate statements about their opinions about the area, why should it not have as much weight as someone who thinks it is the cat's pajamas.

Just because one person believes that it is great here for certain reasons, another person might think the complete opposite and that is just an opinion. Weather for instance. Some people think the weather is great here. Some give other opinions that it is to hot and humid. Instantly people jump on their case that they are completely wrong. How can they be wrong if that is their opinion of the weather here? And it is one thing to have a healthy debate about a subject but completely different when you are told you don't know what you are talking about.

Read around on other state forums and you will see what I am talking about. Arkansas must be the only state that is perfect because the other state forums have opinions good and bad against those areas.
I think if you start taking a census of the "attack dogs" you will find that too often they are the same ones over and over. Sitting here typing I can think of at least a half dozen who never write anything positive about anything and it is so sad some people have such a negative attitude. And it appears some of them do that just to get things "stirred up". Oh well, a huge majority of us have a positive, helpful, attitude, even though we do get defensive from time-to-time

Old 07-31-2011, 04:50 PM

637 posts, read 845,043 times
Quote:
Like Dutchman01 said earlier. He has found that he has met good people all over. I agree with this assessment as I have myself. I also agree that you can find rednecks, hillbillies, uneducated people all over the country.

There is always a little truth to stereotypes though and I believe Arkansas had a majority of people that were not "book" smart. Still today, look at the numbers of college graduates in not only Arkansas but the South compared to out West and the Northeast. Rough numbers but I believe it is like 17% compared to 76% (I might be off). That is how come we get labeled backwards. Not because they say we don't wear shoes or can't talk. I think it is more of a book thing. (Keep in mind I have found a lot of people that don't have a college degree to have more common sense and intellect than people with college degrees so don't label me in that camp.)

Again I will say, actions speak louder than words. You are what you accept to be. I am proud to be from Arkansas and I will take it everywhere I go. I am proud my alma mater is the University of Arkansas with my name etched in the sidewalk on campus and you can pry my degree from my cold, dead hands. You are only what you accept for people to label you. I don't have to tell people how Arkansas is not backwards, they see it when they are around me.
I like this post overall, but I don't agree with all of it. I've spent the last 18 years of my life in this state and have been fortunate enough to have traveled the vast majority of it and visited all kinds of little towns and areas I wouldn't have expected to have any reason to go to, and I base my opinions off of my experiences living here compared to other places I have lived in or visited for extended periods of time. One of your earlier posts in here mentioned we need unbiased statements about the good and the bad, which is an admirable goal but more complicated than it would seem on the surface. There is no such thing as an unbiased opinion, and most of our praise and gripes about the state/county/city we live in are purely opinion. Even your comment about feeling the majority of people are not book smart and basing it off the number of college graduates is an opinion, and one I feel that is an inaccurate portrayal of education in the state. From a numbers perspective, Arkansas does a strong job at educating its young people and has a very respectable number of students graduate from college each year (not near the lowest in the country), but our population has a low percentage of college educated workers because we don't retain our educated talent well and lose them to larger cities or states with a different type of economy, which is something I've posted about before when people used our percentage of college educated residents to claim that Arkansas didn't have a good education system. I'm not claiming that is what you were indicating, I don't think it is, just pointing out that a lot of these "facts" that people use to base their complaints or negative opinions off of are often twisted to back their own personal feelings and aren't portrayed accurately. When I see something like that posted, I often feel compelled to correct it if it is completely misused, or offer the proper lens to view that "fact" through if I think it is being unfairly manipulated. I think I, and most others on here, are fair when we do things like that and it's not to be viewed as retribution or insecurity, and I think most of us are polite when we do so.

I may be happy or unhappy living somewhere but that doesn't mean it would or wouldn't be appealing to someone else, and I think people that post with that kind of mindset are welcomed and encouraged on these forums, based off what I have seen.

I don't actually feel that people who are unhappy in Arkansas or have a complaint get attacked by most of the forum faithful, I think it is those that relentlessly post negative comments or attacks against certain people or places that end up receiving perhaps too much negative attention back, and I can agree that it might look bad to someone that doesn't read the postings enough to know why the posters lash back at certain people. I don't think there is any way to defuse that sort of thing, and I can completely understand how someone reading just one or two of the threads started by certain people might think we're all hateful, defensive posters since we've had our fill of those particular people and their opinions that keep being stated as angry, condescending fact. If you go into a thread or forum looking to make someone mad, you'll probably succeed. If you instead post what you didn't care for about a place, as you have with this thread, instead of attacking or insulting the people that live there, I think you'll get a healthy banter back and forth about the pros and cons according to the opinions of the other posters. I think the vast majority of the relocation threads asking pros and cons of an area are very honest and a good example of this kind of respect most people here have for each other.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:22 AM

28,464 posts, read 10,954,929 times
Quote:
Bad choice of words.

Allowed by the other posters on this forum without being persecuted for thinking everything here is awesome beyond belief.

Like I said earlier, over my 38 years here I have lived in Hot Springs, Russellville, Little Rock, spent to much time in Southeast Arkansas, Fayetteville and Bentonville. I have a pretty good idea of what this state has to offer and what it doesn't relative to my own experiences and my opinion.
I don't think people with a negative opinion are persecuted. The people who think the state is awesome are just as entitled to their opinion. And often, the people who have the most negative opinions don't just voice them as opinions. There have been people who've moved here from large urban areas that complain about the shopping, about the restaurants, about the people, without ever taking into consideration that they moved from an urban setting to a rural setting. And the complaints about the people are often tremendously insulting stereotypes. Those complaints deserve rebuttal. And rebuttals aren't attacks.

No one thinks that Arkansas is awesome beyond belief. But many people think it's a nice place to live. Certainly there are things that could make it nicer, there's room for improvement no matter where you live.

I've participated in other threads, and people are just as passionate and outspoken in other threads when defending their state and city and neighborhood. Even the Boston thread.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:09 AM

127 posts, read 99,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't think people with a negative opinion are persecuted. The people who think the state is awesome are just as entitled to their opinion. And often, the people who have the most negative opinions don't just voice them as opinions. There have been people who've moved here from large urban areas that complain about the shopping, about the restaurants, about the people, without ever taking into consideration that they moved from an urban setting to a rural setting. And the complaints about the people are often tremendously insulting stereotypes. Those complaints deserve rebuttal. And rebuttals aren't attacks.

No one thinks that Arkansas is awesome beyond belief. But many people think it's a nice place to live. Certainly there are things that could make it nicer, there's room for improvement no matter where you live.

I've participated in other threads, and people are just as passionate and outspoken in other threads when defending their state and city and neighborhood. Even the Boston thread.
And I don't believe it is all that people make it out to be and I am not a transplant. Strip malls and big box stores don't do it for ME. When I say there is nothing to do around here, no good restaurants, etc. that is my opinion. You and others have said that is completely false. It is not false IN MY OPINION because I don't like chains and much of the local flavor has went under. I do seek out the best we can find. Just like this weekend we frequented Mary Maestri's (and yes they are open in a new location) and then over to Hugo's for dessert and drinks. I just don't want to go to these same places over and over and wish there were more options. Only thing I see are more chains coming in. </rant>

One time I mentioned how I am not fond of this area and someone actually told me to move because I will not be happy anywhere. Really? Because you love a place and I don't care for it as much as you do I am going to be miserable anywhere else.

If these things are my opinions then there can be no right or wrong answer. Most of the time people will say those statements are false. They can't be false if they are subjective and based on my likes and experience. To be PC, I might need to say this place has few good restaurants because they do have some good ones.

Either way, seems like people are a little touchy about someone shining a not-so perfect light on NWA. It is a nice area and some people love it. It has limited options and some people do not like it. Both sides should be represented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas