U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 07:55 PM

7 posts, read 31,357 times

Advertisements

I am really sorry that the move has been difficult. I was born and raised in an even smaller town about 20 minutes from Paragould. My grandparents still live in Paragould. We now live in Fayetteville. We could never move back to Northeast Arkansas. Our entire family benefits from living around people from different cultures.

When we were first married we lived in Paragould. On the positive side, housing and utility bills are very affordable in Paragould. Greene County Tech has a good school. Jonesboro has a new mall and a lot of new restaurants. I am ashamed that no one stopped to help you with the flat tire.

While I can't say you will grow accustom to all the camouflage or the trash on the side of the street, I can say that I believe when you find a church and meet some people that you will find the city to overall be a friendly place.

By the way, not sure about the hospital in Paragould now... but when we lived there it was safer to make the trip to Jonesboro. A lot of people take their children to the Children's Clinic in Jonesboro. Dr. Sneed is extremely knowledgeable and thorough!

Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beboptheflop View Post
Well, I'm officially in Paragould and it's basically what people said it would be. Needless to say, there is a culture shock. The people here, consistantly do not or will not speak proper English and I have to bite my tongue not to correct them. I neither think it's cute or quaint or Southern to speak incorrectly.
Also, my second day here, I got a flat tire, and for 45 minutes, not one person stopped to give assistance. Someone did eventually help, but for those 45 minutes and afterwards I was thinking small town friendliness is BS. I can guarantee you, in Atlanta, I would have had several people within minutes of my flat stop.
The people I've met so far have been pleasant enough, but there isn't any kind of warmness in their voices or in their eyes. I can't really put my finger on it, but it's kind of a stand off feeling.
I can't believe there is no curbside recycling. I know that sounds petty, but we are in the 21st century, I just thought something as basic as that was pretty standard.
If I see one more person (child) wearing camouflage, I'll scream. I get it!!! You are hunters. It's like wearing work clothes on your day off.
Yes, so far these complaints may seem petty, but I'm been in a depressed funk since I've been here. The house my husband picked for us is in a neighborhood I would have never picked. People don't use trash cans here, the just pile there trash at the end of the driveway. My new neighbors have yet to show their faces, no introductions, not even a wave. Even the movers who moved us in noticed that independently of me noticing.
I hoping things get better, and I keep telling myself this is only temporary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 09:40 AM

697 posts, read 2,564,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beboptheflop View Post
I hoping things get better, and I keep telling myself this is only temporary.
Rather than repeat myself, I'll just suggest that you go back and re-read what I posted a couple of months ago in this thread.

"Things" aren't going to get better. Things are going to be what they are, and even a place as small as Paragould isn't going to change very much or very fast, and certainly not just to accommodate you. If you're not going to be miserable, you're going to have to accept that what is there is what is there, and deal with that. OK, maybe I will repeat myself a little bit -- if you focus on what's not there, what you don't like about it, and what you gave up by moving there, you'll stay miserable. Likewise, if you keep telling yourself it's only temporary, you're going to always regard Paragould as something being done to you that you have to endure. Like it or not, you have to accept responsibility for the fact that you decided to be there -- that your husband's job or whatever was important enough that the prospect of living in Paragould was preferable to whatever the alternatives were. Accept that responsibility, and the responsibility for how you deal with it.

There are things you don't like about Paragould -- fine, there's plenty not to like, and I certainly wouldn't want to be moving from Atlanta to eastern Arkansas. But you did, and frankly the populace of NE Arkansas doesn't much care what you think of them. Not because they're mean and evil, but because they are who they are and they do what they do and there's no particular reason they should care what you think. Whatever accommodation or changing gets done, you'll need to do yourself.

As for the curbside recycling thing, you should realize that the function of curbside recycling is performed, in the rural South, by flea markets -- the economy of many areas is almost wholly dependent on people selling each other the same crap over and over again, thus keeping it out of the landfills .

Old 12-28-2007, 10:08 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,859,042 times
I'll offer something a bit more constructive than my previous, somewhat crass post.

The ONE thing you can tackle in your community that seems to bother you, is the recyclying. I see no reason why you couldn't bring this up with your city council member and get it moving. It isn't a really something that would be counter to the culture and you could bill it as good media for the community. Just don't cop an attitude about how that's what's done elsewhere. You have to show some real benefit to the community so do your homework. Remember that in a town the size of Paragould, a recycling program will probably cost money that they need for other things. The town will either have to add employees or contract to a recycling company and there won't be enough volume for the contractor to work out a partnership with the city. It's another fact of life in small towns that these types of things usually aren't economically viable. You'll have to find some way to demonstrate that it could be.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:00 AM

3,381 posts, read 11,817,159 times
I agree with this wholeheartedly; don't assume that curbside recycling isn't done because the population is too stupid to know that recycling is good. It's likely not done because they don't have the money, or maybe the area is too rural and spread out and therefore it's not feasible. Think of all the money it takes to do it...employee people, make and distribute the boxes, and I know where I live they have special garbage trucks for it, and lord knows how much those cost. Probably well over $100k each.

Maybe a better issue would be to find out if there is an active recycling force at ALL there...are there bins in parking lots in the city? Can people take their items to be recycled? (does AR even have recycling on bottles?? I can't remember...) Maybe push for something less costly like setting up recycling bins in a few areas of the city and encourage residents to take their trash there, instead of just assuming that no one gives a darn and that the city doesn't care about helping the environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
I'll offer something a bit more constructive than my previous, somewhat crass post.

The ONE thing you can tackle in your community that seems to bother you, is the recyclying. I see no reason why you couldn't bring this up with your city council member and get it moving. It isn't a really something that would be counter to the culture and you could bill it as good media for the community. Just don't cop an attitude about how that's what's done elsewhere. You have to show some real benefit to the community so do your homework. Remember that in a town the size of Paragould, a recycling program will probably cost money that they need for other things. The town will either have to add employees or contract to a recycling company and there won't be enough volume for the contractor to work out a partnership with the city. It's another fact of life in small towns that these types of things usually aren't economically viable. You'll have to find some way to demonstrate that it could be.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:40 AM

362 posts, read 1,089,603 times
Other than Jonesboro, I would not even consider moving to anywhere in eastern Arkansas. Everyone in eastern Arkansas with an ounce of sense are either moving to Jonesboro or somewhere NOT in eastern Arkansas. I moved from out there and I get angry everytime I go back just to see that nothing has changed at all.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:05 AM

37 posts, read 206,087 times
Default Having Lived In Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Well,you are right, P-gould is probably 98 caucasion, not sure what you mean by how this is dealt with by schools though. IMHO p-gould is not any different that other towns in NEA, I think that students of other nationalities and or minorities arent treated any differently than anyone else. If you are looking for more of a diverse atmspohere in NEA, you might check out Jonesboro, 20 miles south of p-gould.
I can tell you that Diversity has become part of the curricula in the public and some private schools there. I have no problem with diversity, but they have taken it to extreme levels at the expense of more pressing subjects. I think you are in for a little culture shock. Paragould sounds like a lovely little town, but it is going to be much more conservative than what you are used to. I can relate a little to your situation. Our kids started school at St. Thomas More in Decatur and had a pretty diverse group of friends. We moved to West St. Louis County last year, and now the only time we see people of other races is when we go into the city. The experience, at an early age, of being around people who look different will serve them well. They have had an opportunity to learn first hand that race doesn't matter. If they stayed in Atlanta too long, they would eventually be taught that race does matter and would either be burdened with a lot of unnecessary white man's guilt or build some resentment against other races due to being exposed to a lot of hatred directed at them because of their race. Good luck in Paragould.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas