Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2011, 08:27 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times

Advertisements

I'll be visiting the Texarkana/El Dorado area soon. Anything in particular to see or do while there? Any good music stores or pawn shops in the area? How about a good sports bar for watching Sunday Night Football?

Any recommendations for BBQ, catfish, or cafeterias?

Anybody know the address of Sleepy LaBeef's original home in Smackover?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 11:39 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
One other thing - my great-uncle owned the Lion gasoline station in Strong. I'm looking for any sort of Lion Oil Co. memorabilia.

Any good sources for that?

Old 09-22-2011, 04:01 PM

200 posts, read 681,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glom View Post
I'll be visiting the Texarkana/El Dorado area soon. Anything in particular to see or do while there? Any good music stores or pawn shops in the area? How about a good sports bar for watching Sunday Night Football?

Thank you.
Regarding El Dorado...

No music store, but we usually have a downtown music scene on Friday and / or Saturday nights.

BBQ = JJ's BBQ
Catfish = Mel's Seafood
Cafeterias = nope

There is a Larry's Pizza. They have different and unique pizzas. Their "pizza parade" is usually offered Tuesday and Friday nights and every weekday for lunch.

As for a "sports bar", about the best you'll be able to do is cozy up to the bar at Applebees.

I know I will probably get mobbed for this, but who the heck is Sleepy LaBeef?

Old 09-22-2011, 04:03 PM

200 posts, read 681,956 times
Quote:
One other thing - my great-uncle owned the Lion gasoline station in Strong. I'm looking for any sort of Lion Oil Co. memorabilia.

Any good sources for that?
There are some flea markets / antique stores around. Just have to know where to find them. There is a fella up in Louann (Hwy 7 between El Dorado and Camden) that seems to have some old gas station merchandise. Does most of his sales via eBay, though, if I am not mistaken.

There is the Arkansas Musuem of Natural Resources (primarily an Oil and Gas museum) out Hwy 7 near Smackover, if you are interested.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,598 times
Quote:

Thank you.
No music stores. Lots of pawn shops. Larry's Pizza is supposed to be setup for Sunday Night Football or so I heard. If you want to find out more about El Dorado, do a Google search for El Dorado, AR

Old 09-23-2011, 08:17 AM

714 posts, read 2,931,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwinerBock View Post
Regarding El Dorado...

I know I will probably get mobbed for this, but who the heck is Sleepy LaBeef?
A rockabilly pioneer/star.

Sleepy LaBeef - www.sleepylabeef.com

According to Wikipedia, he was raised on a melon farm in Smackover.

I second the Arkansas Oil & Brine Museum.

Bryce's Cafeteria in Texarkana is popular, it is on HWY-30 on the Texas side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas