Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 02:46 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,266,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotg View Post
So let me pose this question based on the feedback I have seen so far. Knowing that you are working in Ft. Smith, would you elect to live in Fayettevile and commute the 40+ minutes a day, one way, based on the culture / pros / cons of the area?
Gosh, no! That drive is longer than 40 minutes, if I'm not the slowest driver in America.....I'd live in Ft. Smith and then do my weekends in F'ville for fun....it's close enough that it's mainly a day trip.

I personally would like to see growth in Ft. Smith...whether it will happen and how, I don't know.....what about up near West Fork? You sort of split the best of both worlds?

Old 08-28-2007, 09:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,607 times
ITs all about how you look at it. Im from southern california so im used to lots of stuff, ocean, snowboarding, resturaunts, shopping, parks, the whole nine yards. the key is what you personally are looking for. The short list I mean, not the long one, NO state or city will meet the long list. The reson we moved here was to escape traffic, extremely rude people, crime and high rent. we also wanted to slow down, buy our first home and plant our roots somewhere new. so far the fort smith area (we live in greenwood, about 10 minutes south of fort smith) has provided almost all of that. Although it does have rude people just like everywhere else (we thought they would all be on their front porches deinking tea just waiting to invite us into their homes for conversations and a cup of lemonade.) and more crime than i expected for this area, it does provide tons of pro's and thats what keeps us here.
good luck to you. remember, life is what you make it.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:00 AM

29 posts, read 134,459 times
Default Fayetteville to Fort Smith

I can make that trip in 45 minutes easy and that is going *close* to the speed limit. Maybe 5 miles over or something. BUT it's all in how you drive. You can't stay behind a semi the whole way and expect to get there.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:37 AM

6 posts, read 21,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativehog View Post
There are some nice places in Oklahoma too, but I've always heard to stay away from Moffit and Muldrow. A large community of Travelers(gypsies) live in Spiro. Kind of interesting.

Don't know much about apartments, sorry. Hope this info helps.

why stay away from Muldrow??? I live in muldrow and I have never had any probs here.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:20 AM

245 posts, read 545,201 times
Having lived in a big city and then moving to Fort Smith was a huge change. But I will say I loved it overthere. Its true FT Smith may not be L.A or New York, and there is not much to do, but when you are in a city with really friendly people, beautiful scenery, not more than a 4 hour drive to KC, OKC, Little Rock, Memphis, Dallas, and then movies are the cheapest I have ever seen them($5.50) in a nice movie theater, low cost of living, many places to eat at, gambling in Ok just 5 mins away, I mean when you think about it Ft Smith is not bad at all. I really liked my experience in Fort Smith.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:27 PM

465 posts, read 1,417,096 times
I go to UAFS and it seems to be growing pretty fast. A few years ago there were no fraternitys or sorority's or anything like that but they seem to be popping up left and right now. I think enrollment is usually up about 5 or 6 percent every year. They have build a 500 bed student apartment complex on campus and they are planning on building another 500 bed complex on the other side of the campus by 2010 just to keep up with demand. There is also a Christian ran student apartment complex that has just been constructed right off campus as well.
You know what I have noticed also, there is not a bar, coffeeshop, or night-club within reasonable walking distance from campus. Man I wish I had some start up money. It's just a matter of time I think.

Just for the record I don't know anyone who still uses a typewriter.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:51 PM

4 posts, read 7,813 times
Fort Smith, in a nutshell, from a 21 year old college student:

It is run by old people, for old people.

It's an extremely segregated city. You can spend years on the south side of town and see nothing but whites. Go north of Grand, however, and it's run down houses inhabited by poor whites and minorities. City council decisions are made to benefit of upper middle class whites only.

That said, having grown up here, there is really no part of the city I would be afraid to be in at night. Most people are well-meaning.

Drivers suck. I moved to Little Rock for college (more on that later) and I can always tell when I get close to Fort Smith because everyone slows way down to 10 under the speed limit.

UAFS is alright, and definitely expanding rapidly. Having gone there, however, I would put the quality of education WAY less than UA Fayetteville, and even less than smaller schools such as UALR. It's cheap, but you get what you pay for...

That said: Fort Smith has it's own charm to it, and seems to have a "pull" on people that leave. Would be a good place to raise kids if you want to shelter them from the outside world.

And yes, one of the high schools IS proud to be the Rebels. That's the south for you.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:08 PM

138 posts, read 368,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrodesthefilm View Post
Fort Smith, in a nutshell, from a 21 year old college student:

It is run by old people, for old people.

It's an extremely segregated city. You can spend years on the south side of town and see nothing but whites. Go north of Grand, however, and it's run down houses inhabited by poor whites and minorities. City council decisions are made to benefit of upper middle class whites only.

That said, having grown up here, there is really no part of the city I would be afraid to be in at night. Most people are well-meaning.

Drivers suck. I moved to Little Rock for college (more on that later) and I can always tell when I get close to Fort Smith because everyone slows way down to 10 under the speed limit.

UAFS is alright, and definitely expanding rapidly. Having gone there, however, I would put the quality of education WAY less than UA Fayetteville, and even less than smaller schools such as UALR. It's cheap, but you get what you pay for...

That said: Fort Smith has it's own charm to it, and seems to have a "pull" on people that leave. Would be a good place to raise kids if you want to shelter them from the outside world.

And yes, one of the high schools IS proud to be the Rebels. That's the south for you.
This is pretty much the impression I have of the place as well. Its like you took words out of my mouth. I think the "pull" it has is because the place never changes, there is a certain nostalgia you get when going back, especially if you grew up there. And UAFS is the 13th grade, plain and simple.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:03 PM

4 posts, read 7,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubLR View Post
This is pretty much the impression I have of the place as well. Its like you took words out of my mouth. I think the "pull" it has is because the place never changes, there is a certain nostalgia you get when going back, especially if you grew up there. And UAFS is the 13th grade, plain and simple.
I was amazed at the adjustment having transferred from UAFS to UALR. It really is a huge step upward when it comes to education.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:03 AM

86 posts, read 255,210 times

-------------------------
as a newbie to the Fort Smith area I will make sure I never go to Little Rock if this is so.
I am from Houston area and the people in Fort Smith all drive like Dale Earnhart wantabes. Speed maniacs especially on I-540.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas