U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-28-2006, 02:31 PM

2,372 posts, read 5,187,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spf57 View Post
I'm a young professional who will be relocating to Bentonville. Can anyone give me the scoop?
- What's a good area to live that's young? I don't mind families but I'd like to be where I can meet other young prof.
- What is there to do?
- Whats the weather like in Jan-Mar?
- Anything else I should know?
spf, since no else has fielded this I will. I would recommend you look a bit further south to Fayetteville. Fayetteville has most of the night life of the region with bars and music venues. People you work with in Bentonville will think you're crazy for commuting from Fay. but it really isn't far. I used to commute from Farmington to downtown Rogers and it took me around 30 minutes but mainly because people don't know how to drive. Of course, you can always look at it like Fayetteville is just down the road and go down there when you want to socialize and the like. The weather can get pretty cold in winter depending on what you're used to. Low temperatures in the 20's with some pretty good windchills into the teens or lower. Maybe two or three snows during the winter but ice storms are the much more common form of winter precip.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2007, 11:17 PM

2 posts, read 14,832 times
What are the schools like in Swifton. I heard theirs only like 170 something kids....?

Old 01-12-2007, 12:53 PM

10 posts, read 41,374 times
Default RE: Copperheads

Arkansas is my home. I have lived on both ends of the state, with the last 16 in North AR.
We have more copperheads than sbernard will admit. (husband) He just can't 'see' them. In fact, the area that we live in is referred to as "Copperhead Hollow".
We don't get as many in the yard because of the stock. Horses, cows and goats will keep them away. We have had some of our animals bitten in the past, the copperhead was the suspect. They handle it pretty well.

I'll tell you, it sure beats the large timber rattlers that you find in the southern part of the state. Those guys are always in a foul mood.

We do have mosquitos here, they are about half the size of the ones in L.A. (lower Ark), wasps, hornets, ticks, and flies of all varieties are also occupants in NW Ark.
Get some Raid and practice your aim. Killing flies is a sport here.

But it is all worth it. Arkansas is one of the most beautiful, geographically diverse states. Flat land on one end and mountains on the other. If you are an outdoor enthusiast, there is much you can do here. Fishing, hiking, canoeing, diving, boating, water skiing, golf, etc...
The seasons are incredible, especially in the spring. Picture a running creek with dogwood blooming around it, makes for nice photography. Summer is the favorite. Yes, it gets hot, and a little humid. More so in the southern end of the state. But ladies...dry air is hard on the skin and hair. You retain your youthful glow longer in humid climates. Wrinkles are what you get in the dryer climates. Yuck.
Fall is beautiful, winter, we get a little ice and a little snow.
People here are mostly kind and well mannered, as are most from the south.
So come on, we'll fix you a glass of tea and talk about family, friends, children and the in-laws.

Old 01-18-2007, 02:47 PM

8 posts, read 37,266 times
Default Ditto daedalus1

I have rarely heard Arkansas described so well. As a young child I came up from Florida to visit my"granny" in Arkansas. I slept with the sounds of the winds in the pines. Sunk my hot feet in some red clay mud. Enjoyed the pleasure of huge juicy peaches and red sweet watermelon running down my mouth and arms. I had my breath taken away looking at the Ozark and Quachitia mountains. I have cooled my body in the clear running streams and watched the dragonflies soar. I guess by now you have figured out I made this great place my home. It's a slower paced and simpler life style. If you like sitting in your porch rocker with your nieghbors shelling purple hull peas ( a gormet food) and sipping sweet tea come on over. Love from Arkansas..........

Old 02-22-2007, 06:35 PM

4 posts, read 18,623 times
Smile Question about Stone County

Hi Susie Q,

Do you know anything about Mountain View? It's in Stone County. I was born and raised in a rural community in Northern California, and have seen my hometown become much larger and nearly impossible to afford. We own a modular on 3/4 of an acre that is worth $300,000, and I came across a gorgeous home in Mountain View for $200,000 with much acreage and many ammenities. Owning a home on property here is simply out of the question. Since I grew up on acreage, I would like to raise my kids in the same fashion. My husband and I have talked about leaving California, but all of our family is here, and I don't know what the job situation would be like over there. (My husband works for a small family owned business here that sells and services wood, gas, and pellet stoves.) But, the idea of packing up and leaving for parts unknown with my dear husband and children is exciting to someone who has barely left her county of birth in all her 32 years! I've been reading a lot about how "Christian" these rural areas in Arkansas are, and that is fine with us, we're born again evangelicals. Also, I have read a bit about the Ozarks, and have always wanted to visit or even move there. Any advice on this specific area would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:09 AM

2,372 posts, read 5,187,308 times
Newcreation, I can give you some limited info. I've been to Mtn. View several times and my info isn't real current but I suspect things have not changed there much in the past few years. That's a very rural area with LOTS of outdoor activities. Given what your husband does, I doubt work will be a huge issue for you. Your property taxes will be much lower and so will your vehicle insurance!! I would suggest reading the online versions of newspapers for larger nearby towns like Heber Springs and Batesville to get a feel for the work situation and also what goes on around there.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,046 times
I lived in the Ozarks for much of the 90's -near Bentonville, AR and over the border in SW Missouri and I loved it. Saw much dramatic weather -wind shears that clipped a swath through a mountain forest half a mile wide and several miles long, two feet of snow in 2-3 days with 18 degree weather, and it all melted in two weeks. I worked outside in 115 degree temperatures in in hot summer sun and when it rained it came down in sheets. I've never seen anything like the rain on the Missouri/Arkansas border. April is a beautiful time to be in Arkansas...the redbuds are in blossom, and the service berry and the dogwood covers the hills and the hollers.

Check with churches and U of Arkansas about temporary housing near where you'll be. Have fun.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:29 PM

6 posts, read 22,416 times
Gee, It's been about a year or so since your post. Have you moved to AR yet? I'm new to this forum and have just begun to read here. My husband and I moved here to NW AR almost 25 years ago form Lancaster. We have always been rural folks and love it here. We bought a farm and raise cows and horses. Yes, weather is an issue for me. I was raised in the country around Lancaster, Palmdale,and the Quartz Hill area where it's dry and windy.My husband was raised in South Dakota. He can take the humid,and I mean humid, summers much better than I can. Actually, I hate the summers and ask visitors to come in the Spring and Fall of the year if they can. We had been known, in the beginning,to sit in the truck with the air conditioning on to cool off sometimes. Well, those days are past for sure. The winters do get cold for a few months but I think we got more snow on the desert then we do here many years. Ice is a big thing during the few cold months. My husband works out of his shop at home but I nurse at our local hospital about 5 miles from home. When I hired on, I made it perfectly clear that I don't come to work on the ice. They understood. We just love it here and overall we adjusted. The people were wonderful when we first got here and we still have the greatest neighbors and friends. We would recommend you remember you are the new kid on the block and not try to push your Calif. ways on the locals. Many resent that and you don't want to get "the reputation" That was the type of advice we got when we decided to relocate and it worked pretty well. Ofcourse, by living in the larger towns, you don't have to worry so much about it. These old timers and the ones before them are smarter then you think. Afterall, they had to survive hard times and most of them did ,and some still are. I respect that in a person. One day, if the SHTF you'll be glad you know someone like that. They've helped us out a time or two and we have had the chance to return the favor.We visited AR several times and at different times of the year before we left CA. It was a good idea.The cost of living is still lower then many places as well as real estate. You will get more house for the buck but because so many people are moving in, the prices are surging up quicker. They know out-of-staters are bringing money with them.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:37 PM

4 posts, read 7,462 times
Smile question

Susie,
Sine you have relitives all over the Jakson Co. Area, I was wondering if you had any advie for me. I recently got a job in Newport and am looking to move to that area or surrounding towns. would you know of any houses for rent or know who I might get a hold of to find one. I am not having much luk on my own. Thanks.
Krystal

Old 02-02-2009, 09:14 AM

4 posts, read 9,589 times
We are to relocate to NW Arkansas, we are looking into Fayetteville, Rogers, Bentonville
What is the cost of living, property taxes in this area, jobs, what is to know about this area, what is the weather like all year round????
What are the pro & con for this locations?
I appreciate all information that I'll get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas