U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2006, 04:26 PM
col col started this thread

131 posts, read 612,415 times

Advertisements

Considering relocating to hots springs village...like what Is see so far in housing, cost of living, crime etc,etc,...what aboutyou guys...what about jobs in the area..anything for aperson with a masters degree who works in the field of developemental disabilites???

thanks for you time
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2006, 07:04 AM

Also what about quality of life. How are New yorkers ( by placement not by heart) treated in arkansas or hot springs. Is there a need for poeple who work with mentally retarded adults or developemental disabilities field? thank you for your help.

Old 10-15-2006, 07:53 AM

6 posts, read 41,360 times
Hey Col,

I'm a native Texan with deep roots in Arkansas. My folks came from Northwest Arkansas and I now live in the country not far from Hot Springs. I also lived in Maine for eight years as a young woman. Thus, I've enjoyed friends with a variety of accents. I love New Yorkers, Mainiacs and those from other states. Col, folks are folks no matter where their roots are. You will love the laid back and genteel manner of the people down here. We tend to move slowly but we get things completed (dun). Overall, I believe that you will be amused, pleased and thoroughly love the people here. So, come on down and chat us up.

On to housing. I own a vacation home in Bella Vista, AR. and use to live there full time. This is important because it, like Hot Springs Village (HSV), was designed, laid out and built by Cooper Industries. Recently, I visited HSV with thoughts of buying there also. I found that it is just as great as Bella Vista (BV). Seven golf courses, seven lakes and about as many country clubs. There many free activities that are included in your property owner's dues which are only $24 a month. Amazing, huh?

The only difference is that Bella Vista has about 25,000 people now and seems pretty busy and full. Projected population there in 20 years is 50,000. Frankly, that's a bit too crowded for me. While visiting HSV recently, I talked to some of the locals. Here's the skinny. The population is 6,000, there are far less homes, people are friendly and there is very little traffic. I like that.

By the way, the value of my BV house has increased by 50% in the last eight years. House values may well have been doing the same in HSV. I like the fact that HSV is gated and it's only a 15-minute drive into Hot Springs. Just outside the village is a new Walmart, Lowes, etc. so one does not have to drive into Hot Springs for everything. I love that, too. Can you tell that I'm sold on HSV? Moderator cut: No personal ads in this forum
Now, let's get you a job. Hot Springs has fairly new medical center near the bypass and a very nice school system. I am a retired special ed teacher who worked with mentally handicapped. Now, I don't know what type of job you might have in mind, but I know that the schools tried to hire me on bended knee a few years ago. (I'm old; I declined.) If these two intities do not have some type of opening for you, they certainly should be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck and enjoy Arkansas.

CK

Hopefully this will help you in some manner. E-mail me if you have any more questions. I'll be glad to help you in any way I can.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:09 PM

19 posts, read 94,297 times
Hot Springs Rehab Center and First Step might be good places for you to find a job.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:58 PM

5 posts, read 33,758 times
Hi everyone! Great forum, first time posting.......so here goes. My husband and I are considering retiring to the Hot Springs area. We are on the liberal side. Many gay friends. I'm a vegetarian.....love that whole new age thing. I have heard Hot Springs is a more open minded city than most other southern towns around. Is this true for the most part? My husband loves golf and we have also been considering Hot Springs Village. Are there other like minded liberals who live there? Or would would be better off in the city of Hot Springs itself? OR.......staying out of Arkansas altogether?! Thanks for any imput anyone could give us!

Old 04-21-2007, 11:49 PM

266 posts, read 830,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Kennedy View Post

Recently, I visited HSV with thoughts of buying there also. I found that it is just as great as Bella Vista (BV). Seven golf courses, seven lakes and about as many country clubs. There many free activities that are included in your property owner's dues which are only $24 a month. Amazing, huh?

The only difference is that Bella Vista has about 25,000 people now and seems pretty busy and full. Projected population there in 20 years is 50,000. Frankly, that's a bit too crowded for me. While visiting HSV recently, I talked to some of the locals. Here's the skinny. The population is 6,000, there are far less homes, people are friendly and there is very little traffic. I like that.

By the way, the value of my BV house has increased by 50% in the last eight years. House values may well have been doing the same in HSV.
Good post, a couple of notes...
POA dues are $32/month in Hot Springs Village (improved or unimproved lot)
There is MUCH less traffic in HSV compared to BVV
The roads are better in HSV
HSV is 100% pressurized sewer, BVV is almost all septic
HSV has 171 holes (9.5 18-hole courses), but one of them is private
Property owner green fee + cart is $24 in 'prime time', lower in the afternoon
One of the largest bridge clubs in the world
HSV 'total crime index' is 24% of national average, Arkansas is 95% of national average, HSV 'property crime index' is 16% of national average. Stated another way, there are more deer and wild turkey than crooks :-)
All of the HSV facilities are "wet" even though much of HSV is within a dry county.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:29 AM

69,258 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannrs View Post
Hi everyone! Great forum, first time posting.......so here goes. My husband and I are considering retiring to the Hot Springs area. We are on the liberal side. Many gay friends. I'm a vegetarian.....love that whole new age thing. I have heard Hot Springs is a more open minded city than most other southern towns around. Is this true for the most part? My husband loves golf and we have also been considering Hot Springs Village. Are there other like minded liberals who live there? Or would would be better off in the city of Hot Springs itself? OR.......staying out of Arkansas altogether?! Thanks for any imput anyone could give us!
I am just taking this from the little I have read and from friends of my daughters that recently moved to HSV. I think, if you are on the liberal side you might be happier in the town of Hot Springs than HSV. I could be wrong. Hopefully others will give you some answers as well.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:20 AM

Question Wet facilities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAtkins View Post
Good post, a couple of notes...
POA dues are $32/month in Hot Springs Village (improved or unimproved lot)
There is MUCH less traffic in HSV compared to BVV
The roads are better in HSV
HSV is 100% pressurized sewer, BVV is almost all septic
HSV has 171 holes (9.5 18-hole courses), but one of them is private
Property owner green fee + cart is $24 in 'prime time', lower in the afternoon
One of the largest bridge clubs in the world
HSV 'total crime index' is 24% of national average, Arkansas is 95% of national average, HSV 'property crime index' is 16% of national average. Stated another way, there are more deer and wild turkey than crooks :-)
All of the HSV facilities are "wet" even though much of HSV is within a dry county.

Do you mention "wet" as in alcohol? or water activities I sound Naive I know.

Anyone else of the jobs available to a person with a masters and working in management in the developmental diabiltities field with retarded adults?

Also hows the winters in this area? I cannot take dry snowy winters because
of respiratory problems.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:30 PM

5,981 posts, read 15,895,915 times
Winters aren't dry or snowy...you're in business there! Wet means alcohol...there are still any number of dry counties in Arkansas where the only alcohol available is at private clubs.

Sorry I can't help on the job thing...Maybe contact the Department of Human Services?

Arkansas Department of Health & Human Services - Division of Behavioral Health Services

Old 01-10-2008, 12:49 AM

266 posts, read 830,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by col View Post
Do you mention "wet" as in alcohol? or water activities I sound Naive I know.

Anyone else of the jobs available to a person with a masters and working in management in the developmental diabiltities field with retarded adults?

Also hows the winters in this area? I cannot take dry snowy winters because
of respiratory problems.
yes, "wet" = alcohol available. It is a county by county thing, but I think individual towns in a dry county can be wet (i wouldn't swear to that). HSV is split by the Garland/Saline county line. Garland County is wet and Saline County is dry. However, all of the clubhouse facilities in HSV serve alcohol, even those in Saline County. I think they have a permit as a private club (one of the loopholes in the dry county thing).

Turning to the weather... the winters here are never dry. On Dec 26th we got some of the sloppiest wet snow you'll ever see. However, after the cold fronts move through the humidity and dewpoints can be very low for a couple of days. Almost all of the homes here are on heat pumps, which do not dry the air like an electric or gas heater. My house maintains about 40% relative humidity even when the heat is on.

As far as your employment, nothing immediately comes to mind. There is at least one facility / camp nearby but I think it is for retarded children and young adults. I'll try to find out more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or