Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 12:23 PM

989 posts, read 2,440,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotg View Post
Those who have read my posts know that I am in the process of relocating from NC to AR.

Yesterday was my oldest daughter’s open house at her school. She is in the second grade and one of the curriculum items is to learn about the states. While discussing our situation with her teacher, I observed small (page sized) posters strung along the wall for each state. Each poster naming a state with graphic representation of what the state is known for. North Carolina has an airplane and a microscope, South Carolina has a palm tree and the crescent moon and a beach, Michigan has cars, boats etc. You get the picture. When we get to Arkansas there is a picture of a HILLBILLY toting a SHOTGUN (overalls and all) and a diamond. Now these are not made by the kids, this is a store bought teaching aid. I hope that I am misconstruing this and I am unawares that this may be some great figure in history but the overalls…

That is hilarious. I have to agree that is a little politically incorrect for a store bought teaching aid. You may find something like that in the very small, rural towns, perhaps, but not in the bigger cities. I don't think anything really exists anymore like what you see in the movie Deliverance. In other words, I wouldn't be too concerned. But I'd also take with a grain of salt all the people singing this state's praises. Sure, it's an ok state to live in, but it's not the promised land a lot of people on this forum make it out to be.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:32 PM

28 posts, read 145,400 times
The next time that I am picking up from school I'll see if I can grab a quick snapshot and find out who the publisher is for those who are interested.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:18 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
When we get to Arkansas there is a picture of a HILLBILLY toting a SHOTGUN (overalls and all) and a diamond. Now these are not made by the kids, this is a store bought teaching aid. I hope that I am misconstruing this and I am unawares that this may be some great figure in history but the overalls…
If you are moving to Ft. Smith, be prepared to see lots and lots of overalls and camo, because thats what the style is here.

Every state's stereotype has some truth to it but its usually confined to a localized area within that state.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:23 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
If you are moving to Ft. Smith, be prepared to see lots and lots of overalls and camo, because thats what the style is here.

Every state's stereotype has some truth to it but its usually confined to a localized area within that state.
same goes for um well..just about all of NEA

Old 08-31-2007, 02:33 PM

799 posts, read 2,168,296 times
Default They do the same with Ohio, Indiana...

Quote:
Those who have read my posts know that I am in the process of relocating from NC to AR.

Yesterday was my oldest daughter’s open house at her school. She is in the second grade and one of the curriculum items is to learn about the states. While discussing our situation with her teacher, I observed small (page sized) posters strung along the wall for each state. Each poster naming a state with graphic representation of what the state is known for. North Carolina has an airplane and a microscope, South Carolina has a palm tree and the crescent moon and a beach, Michigan has cars, boats etc. You get the picture. When we get to Arkansas there is a picture of a HILLBILLY toting a SHOTGUN (overalls and all) and a diamond. Now these are not made by the kids, this is a store bought teaching aid. I hope that I am misconstruing this and I am unawares that this may be some great figure in history but the overalls…
If you go to some other states...and they find out you're from Indiana (or Ohio, my home state), people think you're either a corn farmer or illiterate. I always thought of Arkansas as vastly different from many states, because it has elements of the Midwest, the South, and even the West in it.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:26 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,635 times
Quote:
Someone needs to inform the rest of the world that Arkansas is home of many of the worlds top companies (ie Wal Mart, JB Hunt, Tyson, Rice Land etc). Perhaps some of us aren't such "dumb hillbillies".
Hmmm. Citing a glorified flea-market (Wal-Mart), a trucking company (JB Hunt), and two backwoods companies--one of which (Tyson) has an awful human rights record--is probably NOT what I would do when trying to defend Arkansas. I would concentrate on the wonderful people and the state's beauty, personally.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:17 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,146 times
Well, I'm from California, and I say let them think what they want. I just got back from visiting relatives in Bella Vista, and I say keep what you have a secret... The last thing you need is the 40 million people in Cali knowing how beautiful Arkansas is or what nice friendly people you have..Beaver Lake is awesome, oh and the fried chicken place wow good grub.... Arkansas never change, you have what ever one else is looking for.....

Old 08-31-2007, 08:17 PM

537 posts, read 441,046 times
That sounds a lot like what they think of anyone that happens to live in the Ozarks and this would Missouri of course. I live in Missouri and have relatives in the Ozarks and they are real down to earth salt of the earth type people. I have met many Ozark people who may have less education than some but are definitely going to be the ones who survive major problems should they happen. There is a song that Hank Williams Jr. sings calle A County Boy Can Survive and I agree totally with it.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:41 AM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
Hmmm. Citing a glorified flea-market (Wal-Mart), a trucking company (JB Hunt), and two backwoods companies--one of which (Tyson) has an awful human rights record--is probably NOT what I would do when trying to defend Arkansas. I would concentrate on the wonderful people and the state's beauty, personally.

I think you missed my point. Im not saying those are the best companies. What I was saying is that we arent as stupid as people seem to think we are. People have this idea that if you come from Arkansas that you are poor and dumb. However that is usually far from the truth.

Old 09-01-2007, 03:34 PM

989 posts, read 2,440,667 times
Well, it's true our state population is undereducated and there are poor people, but I agree, most people here are reasonably intelligent and there are a lot of wealthy people here too. The thing about Arkansas is not that there are stupid people there, but that there aren't many "worldly thinkers" in the area. Arkansas is largely rural and like most rural areas, global thinkers are not prevalent. Still, like most stereotypes, you cannot apply this judgment to all Arkansans. There are plenty of VERY INTELLIGENT people living in Arkansas. Though all things considered, the majority of the populace is still what I would call undereducated and small-town minded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas