U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 11:29 PM

1 posts, read 9,348 times

Advertisements

White Hall is a great place to raise your kids if you have to live near Pine Bluff. White Hall has the beat schools,alot of after school activities and school functions. You can't go wrong with White Hall. My kids went to school there, did everything there was to do and stayed out of trouble. Pretty much not any wrong crowd to hang out with. There are no jobs to speak of in Pine Bluff. It's a dying city. It needs to be cleaned up. Any jobs that may be here are awful, you can't have a family life because you have to work all the time due to the type of work in the Pine Bluff area, or just get paid $7.00 an hour at the most in order to be home, and a person raising a family or just a couple can't make it on that today. But as far as White Hall, it's good for driving to Little Rock to go to work or to the Arsenal, which sounds like that may be where you are going to work at. Good luck! I would have already moved away if I could take my kids. But they are set on staying where they grew up and I'd miss them if I left them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 9,345 times
White Hall is definitely a nice town ... to score Meth in. Okay, it's not as bad as the rest of Pine Bluff, but we're talking about a place with the highest murder rate for a small city in the nation (sometimes it's Topeka, KS, but it's always a race.) I assume you're familiar with Gary Indiana? Well, imagine a smaller Gary with more crime and less culture. I grew up all over Pine Bluff and personally I would take every possible measure to make sure that my children stay far away. I remember in one week 4 of my high school friends (who had stayed behind after graduation) died. 2 suicides, one heroin overdose, and one who was shot in a drug deal gone wrong. And these weren't even the bad kids! Run, don't walk, away from Pine Bluff. You'll regret it if you don't. Oh, and yes, the schools are better in White Hall and I guess Sheridan, but the racism in those towns will take you back to the '40s.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:35 AM

1 posts, read 9,284 times
Default Sheridan

I don't believe that racism in Sheridan is as bad as it once was, in fact I can say it is not. I grew up in Sheridan, still live here and am a white woman married to a black man. I admit it is still not perfect but what place is?

That aside, how could anyone recommend Pine Bluff as a place to live and raise kids? All my relatives came from Pine Bluff and have most all finally left. Both my grandmothers were at different times robbed in their own homes! One had her door kicked-in in broad daylight!

The schools are a mess and if you want to talk about racism please add Pine Bluff to the mix. It is just reversed and with a vengence. Murder & drugs seem to be one of the local past times. Who would want to raise their children there? Please don't move anywhere in that county.

Pine Bluff is a town that is dying, in more that one way.

And why has no one told OP about the horrible odor in Pine Bluff????

Last edited by ellesnjohn; 03-30-2007 at 12:39 AM.. Reason: spelling, addition

Old 03-30-2007, 10:02 PM

1 posts, read 9,262 times
Default Living in PB

well I use to go to Pine Bluff every summer because my uncle had a bingo hall for many years. I went in the summer of the 90's and so yes the gangs were really bad during that time and even robbed the bingo hall twice once they was able to steal mostly furniture and tv monitors. my uncle eventually got fed up with the area and the police not really doing much to stop it so he left the area and shut down the bingo hall in 1998..So now I am not sure what is going on there but I did stop by in 2003 taking a trip to LA and wow it still had no change. Very dirty with hoodlums hanging on the corner streets everywere and will even walk out in the road to make you stop for them so very rude and not racist or anything but there sure seems to be that issue in that area. My uncle lived off War Eagle Dr on the soutside of the city. Use to be a really decent part of the city but I drove through in 2003 and it is not at all like that. When my grandpa moved from there in 2000 someone tried braking into his house overnight just one week from him moving out and use to never had any major issues there so who knows what part is good now.

Old 05-17-2007, 04:38 PM

2 posts, read 15,224 times
Talking The Real Pine Bluff

I moved here 3 years ago. In the 90's and up to 3 years ago, it was a city that has had its better days. Crime was real bad. And Jobs were lost. The old people with money move away and so did there kids. Then another thing happened. We that are still here in the city call it the White Flight. Many Blacks moved into the city from the rural areas looking for jobs. The Whites that were left couldent stand to live next to blacks. Whites sold there homes, many to blacks, and moved away . Up to 6,000 left. Now They talk bad about this city, but they dont even live here.

Pine Bluff Today---- The City has new buildings going up all over the cities southside. This area south of 36th street is the best area of the city. Great schools, nice homes, close to the medical center, golf courses, parks, a new supercenter, close to I-530, plans for lots more. Just about everything you want is on the southside. The city just Built a new 375 bed jail to fight the crime. A $75 Million Dollar, school bond was passed. New schools are being built. We are home to UAPB and Southeast Arkansas College. The fire dept. has an ISO rating of 3, (only three other fire dept's in the state are better.) New jobs are coming to the city. We have a Port and an Airport. And you will save alot of money in this city. Nice Homes at really good prices. This city is on the right track.

Crime----- This city is know as Crime Bluff, this name was given to the city by whites and the news. Yes, the city had alot of crime. But 90% of the crime comes from just one area of the city. Just around downtown, same crime as just about every other city in the country. We have a new Police Chief, and Sherrif. There doing a great job.... Crime is way down. As long as your not dealing drugs, youll be OK.

If you have anything else you want to know just ask.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:49 AM

2 posts, read 14,181 times
Default Pine Bluff

If I had a choice, I would live in White Hall or Sheridan! White Hall is closer. Sheridan is about a 25 minute drive. Both have good schools and are safe communities to live in and raise a family.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:19 AM

1 posts, read 8,991 times
I have lived in town Pine Bluff for over a year now. I have had few problems with the local children and items disappearing from our porch. I am not saying its a bad town, its quiet (minus traffic, we live on a main throughfare) we have all the big city convienences, supermarket, bowling, arcade, movie theaters, churches. As far as safety, I really haven't been too concerned, I have lived in Atlanta, Dallas/Ft Worth, Orlando, N Charlston, Houston and San Antonio, as well as little towns like Dover-Foxcroft, Maine; Dover, NH; & Berwick, Maine, 20 miles to the closest store!!! Living in Pine Bluff is not much different than any of the other places I have lived. You have somethings you do not have somethings. I like living here, just wish the drive to Little Rock was just a bit shorter.
Peace

Old 06-17-2007, 03:30 PM

4 posts, read 31,199 times
Well I hve been here for a few months and we decideed to rent until we were really comfortable with the area before buying. I must say I expected much worse from everything you guys told me but there is still now ay I am staying. We are getting out of the are completely away. I can not beleive all the crime and how ran down it is and the people here seem to not care about anything. A community can never improve if the people living in it donj't change is the way I see it. Trash is everywhere, don't people here care that they are killing the air they need to live. The only thing good about Pine Bluff has been the Nature Center. There is no activities for family or fun things to do. Thank you all for your info, I have really gotten the picture since we moved here and can not wait to get out.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:20 PM

12 posts, read 73,489 times
The Nature Center is pretty neat, isn't it. When we lived in White Hall for a few short months, we went throught the 'should we rent/should we buy' decision. After seeing how long many of the houses were on the market to sell, and the fact that we just weren't happy there, it was an easy choice to make. Renting for us was the easy way to go and when the time came... pack up and move. Good luck, and I hope things go well for you in PB.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 8,744 times
Default concerning Pine Bluff Arkansas

I have lived in Pine Bluff since 1998 and I think that it is a beautiful town. It may not be perfect but the people are friendly and I love the pine trees. The post I read would frightning me if I were moving to Pine Bluff and knew nothing about it.
About the "racism": The white population is the minority in Pine Bluff and of course you may run into some hateful people.
I just wouldnt want anyone to be "afraid" to move here because MOST people you run into here are friendly and caring.
The beautiful Christmas lights display at Regional Park is wonderful.
Try Pine Bluff with an open mind it really is a friendly nice place to live.
Just in case you are curious I am one of the "minority"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas