Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 05:17 PM

15 posts, read 41,810 times

Advertisements

might have a job opportunity in fort smith(coming from ca) but from what i have been reading in the forum it makes me leary. is it really a hispanic community? home rentals high? (900$ is high to us) the whole reason we are looking to move to ar is for the cheaper cost of living and so we are no longer the minority. is it a mistake going to fort smith??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 06:10 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,678,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookin2move5 View Post
might have a job opportunity in fort smith(coming from ca) but from what i have been reading in the forum it makes me leary. is it really a hispanic community? home rentals high? (900$ is high to us) the whole reason we are looking to move to ar is for the cheaper cost of living and so we are no longer the minority. is it a mistake going to fort smith??
Fayetteville is 45 minutes north.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:35 PM

209 posts, read 458,225 times
Quote:

Even tough Fort Smith is a big town in AR. But Fayetteville (Rogers, Springdale, Bentonville) is almost the second largest metropolitian area in the AR.

So, Hispanic community is big in Fayetteville, not Fort Smith. The rent should not be high in the Fort Smith.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 009811 View Post
Even tough Fort Smith is a big town in AR. But Fayetteville (Rogers, Springdale, Bentonville) is almost the second largest metropolitian area in the AR.

So, Hispanic community is big in Fayetteville, not Fort Smith. The rent should not be high in the Fort Smith.
So what is the second largest metro area in Arkansas?

Old 01-27-2012, 07:37 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,187,045 times
Quote:
wow, you are coming from Ca and think a $900 a month rental is high? What are you thinking, 1 bedroom or what and where in Ca are you living now? As for Ft Smith being Hispanic, again, where are you getting that idea? That being said, you should certainly visit before moving to AR. Of course I would gather any company hiring you would pay for a visit. That way you can judge for yourselves.

Nita

Old 01-27-2012, 09:08 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,191,104 times
Fort Smith works for some people, not for others. Most people either love it or hate it. There is more of a Hispanic community than there used to be but it's much bigger up the hill in Fayetteville. Fort Smith is still a small, southern town (even though large by Arkansas standards) so as long as that doesn't bother you you should be fine. I second nmita's advice...you should visit before making a commitment.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:01 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,781,699 times
There's plenty of small towns around Ft Smith, Van Buren is a nice town, and several small town across the border in Oklahoma, you can commute. Also, coming from California, summers in the river valley are very hot, over 100 degrees at times with oppressive humidity, there's also a chance for tornadoes, insanely heavy thunderstorms, ice storms in winter and snow. You need to spend time visiting this summer.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:36 AM

6,900 posts, read 7,533,198 times
I lived in Fort Smith from 1998 to 2001 and hated every single quarter second of it.

I bought a house there for $55,000.00, and it was really very nice. But the neighborhood was in the process of declining though. That wasn't just a matter of the Hispanics moving in (which they were) but also because of DRUGS affecting the working class people of every shade who lived there. More than once when walking the dog I'd see needles by the side of the road. Crime in FS is shockingly high - or at least it was when I left. I sold my nice little house for $61,000.00.

Somehow I can't imagine that housing prices have gone up so much that a home rental costs $900.00! Looking on Realtor.com it seems as though purchase prices are still low in FS compared to the rest of the country, so I don't know why rental prices would be that high.

Why did I hate FS? Primarily because I'm not Baptist or Republican. Beyond that, FS is mostly ugly and dirty. The streets are laid out so poorly that there is traffic congestion on the one main road (Rogers Ave.) much of the day. There is no zoning. There is a lot of poverty among people of every shade. There really is no "nice" part of town where it's fun to shop or go to good restaurants - just chain stores and chain restaurants.

Fort Smith was just flat nasty and I'm still sorry I wasted four years of my life living there.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I lived in Fort Smith from 1998 to 2001 and hated every single quarter second of it.

I bought a house there for $55,000.00, and it was really very nice. But the neighborhood was in the process of declining though. That wasn't just a matter of the Hispanics moving in (which they were) but also because of DRUGS affecting the working class people of every shade who lived there. More than once when walking the dog I'd see needles by the side of the road. Crime in FS is shockingly high - or at least it was when I left. I sold my nice little house for $61,000.00.

Somehow I can't imagine that housing prices have gone up so much that a home rental costs $900.00! Looking on Realtor.com it seems as though purchase prices are still low in FS compared to the rest of the country, so I don't know why rental prices would be that high.

Why did I hate FS? Primarily because I'm not Baptist or Republican. Beyond that, FS is mostly ugly and dirty. The streets are laid out so poorly that there is traffic congestion on the one main road (Rogers Ave.) much of the day. There is no zoning. There is a lot of poverty among people of every shade. There really is no "nice" part of town where it's fun to shop or go to good restaurants - just chain stores and chain restaurants.

Fort Smith was just flat nasty and I'm still sorry I wasted four years of my life living there.
I never saw a lot of needles but I guess its possible. What neighborhood were you in?

Old 01-27-2012, 11:31 AM

209 posts, read 458,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
So what is the second largest metro area in Arkansas?
Actually the first one is Little Rock (no doubt), second one should include AR-TN-MS metropolitian area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas