U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 05:51 PM

137 posts, read 542,064 times

Advertisements

I guess it depends on who their customers are, and if the law is really enforced. I googled "Ole Chi Mill", but nothing interesting came up, just that they are a restaurant and lounge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2006, 05:46 PM

17 posts, read 78,460 times
Yepp, smoking is banned outside of businesses here where I live in the northeast. Some nurses at our hospital told me that they couldn't smoke on the premances anymore. Use to they could go outside to smoke.

I'm a smoker, and I understand why people are offended at my second hand smoke. And I respect that. I never smoke around others, not even in my home. I have two female Chihuahua's and I don't want them breathing my smoke, so I go on the back porch in cold weather, and on the front porch in warm weather. I know I don't have the right to harm others, and I wish all smokers realised this also.

Old 05-23-2006, 04:00 AM

9 posts, read 47,948 times
Default no smoking in Jonesboro

I think the law must've passed, because when I requested the nonsmoking section in a Jonesboro asian buffet, they told us that smoking in the restaurant was no longer allowed by state law. (Reminding self to look it up later!)

Old 07-22-2006, 08:24 AM
boo

1 posts, read 2,198 times
Default No smoking in cars with children law

Wednesday, April 26, 2006
Arkansas Bans Smoking in Cars with Young Children; Other States to Follow?
The Arkansas legislature has enacted legislation that prohibits smoking in a car with a child who is required to be restrained in a safety seat (any child who is less than 7 years old or weighs less than 60 pounds).

http://tobaccoanalysis.blogspot.com/...cars-with.html

Old 07-22-2006, 03:20 PM

5 posts, read 19,542 times
The Arkansas Clean Indoor Air Act went into effect yesterday. For precise information visit ARCleanAir.com.

While this new law seems like a good deal for those who dislike or are allergic to any kind of smoke don't get over joyed by it just yet. The law has gone into effect and fine amounts have been set but the exact regulations are unclear.

I am in the process of opening a restaraunt, I received a packet from the local health inspector. The information is pretty generic and according to my DHHS representative they have no set formulas or remedies in place. He also said that not even the legislators understand the law they have passed. There is one section that asks the question regarding who is liable for a customer or employee caught smoking on the premises. The exact answer to that question reads as follows: When smoking occurs in a worksite, employees and members of the public may report violations to the DHHS. Complaints are investigated in accordance with DHHS protocol. Based upon those results, any employer, employee or member of the public may be summoned to a hearing before the Arkansas Board of Health. If found in violation the violator may be assessed a civil penalty of up to $1000.00 per violation. Criminal prosecution may also be pursued.

The description goes on but the jest of it is that even though I do not allow ANYONE to smoke on the premises whether they are an employee or a member of the public, if someone lights up, I am held responsible. I have schooled all of my employees on the new law, they know that they cannot smoke in the building, they know that if a customer lights up they have to intervene ASAP. I have done my job to be in compliance with the law, I have displayed all the necessary literature and posted no smoking signs every where yet I am still going to be held responsible for customers who willingly disobey the law. This is a 24 hour store, I can't be there all of the time, but I am still held accountable.

Even though WE had already decided to be a non smoking establishment, this law had no effect on our decision, but because of it owners and managers of business are being penalized. I'm sorry if some of you disagree with me but I find the law as it is highly unfair. I should not be held responsible if I have done everything in my power to comply. As my DHHS inspector explained to me, all it takes is for one person to carry one cigerette butt in on the sole of his shoe and an inspector to walk in and find it and I am automatically fined $1000.00.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas