U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 04:35 PM

14 posts, read 56,165 times

Advertisements

I drove through Pine Bluff last year and spent the night there. I think I read that a new law went into effect that banned smoking in public buildings such as restaurants. Have any other cities done this? I heard that the Governor was pushing legislation to ban smoking statewide. (Indoors,I mean) They did this in Florida and it is great. Non Smoking sections just don't cut it. The law doesn't hurt business at all. Restaurants are just as crowded as ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2006, 08:12 AM

No opinions on this? The more I read about
Arkansas, the more I hear about other municipalities contemplating the issue. Most folks I talk to in AR say they don't smoke in a restauraunt anyway, in fact, they don't even smoke inside their own homes or cars.

Old 03-31-2006, 05:18 PM

137 posts, read 541,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamailman
No opinions on this? The more I read about
Arkansas, the more I hear about other municipalities contemplating the issue. Most folks I talk to in AR say they don't smoke in a restauraunt anyway, in fact, they don't even smoke inside their own homes or cars.
They banned smoking inside most buildings in California. It works great inside the building, except you can't get through the door without going through a huge smoke cloud from all the people standing right outside the door smoking! Also if the door's open, of course the smoke comes right in.

Old 04-04-2006, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenn or ozark bound
They banned smoking inside most buildings in California. It works great inside the building, except you can't get through the door without going through a huge smoke cloud from all the people standing right outside the door smoking! Also if the door's open, of course the smoke comes right in.
Yes, we do have the same thing here in Fla. It's still better than nothing. We were in Jonesboro this weekend and found at least one "sit-down" type restauraunt that does not allow smoking. It's called the Dixie Cafe, and we made sure we told them why we chose to eat there.

Old 04-05-2006, 07:38 AM

8 posts, read 44,985 times
California also ruled tobacco smoke as a toxic agent. Smoking should be banned nationally - or severely taxed to compensate for the billions of dollars in healthcare costs and insurance premiums borne by those that choose not to commit suicide on the installment plan. Gotta put something in your mouth - try gum or....

Old 04-08-2006, 08:18 PM

I just found out about the new law being passed to ban smoking in public places. Great timing for me, as I am nearing a decision about moving to Arkansas. I guess I should take this as a positive sign.

Old 04-12-2006, 05:18 PM

Quote:
I just found out about the new law being passed to ban smoking in public places. Great timing for me, as I am nearing a decision about moving to Arkansas. I guess I should take this as a positive sign.
Here is a newspaper article about the law
http://www.baxterbulletin.com/apps/p...604120327/1002

Old 04-12-2006, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Here is a newspaper article about the law
http://www.baxterbulletin.com/apps/p...604120327/1002
Good article. I'll be interested to see how the "Ole Chi Mill" does when they ban everyone under 21.

Old 04-13-2006, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Good article. I'll be interested to see how the "Ole Chi Mill" does when they ban everyone under 21.
What is "Ole Chi Mill"? Have you moved to Arkansas yet?

Old 04-13-2006, 05:38 PM

Quote:
What is "Ole Chi Mill"? Have you moved to Arkansas yet?
Not moved yet, it was mentioned in the article. The owner said she has no choice but to not allow anyone under 21 in order to serve smokers. The name sounds strange, but that's the way it was spelled in the article. It's supposed to be in Mountain Home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas