Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 07:37 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times

Advertisements

I believe all those pictures are Arkansas.

The first one has a car with Arkansas plates.

The second one is on Hwy 62 between Eureka Springs and Garfield. Passed it a thousand times.

The third and fourth pictures are just generic big houses like you find all over Northwest Arkansas. Both remind me of houses in Little Flock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 10:19 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,752,582 times
What you need to do is pick a small town that you're interested in and "drive" through it with Google maps on street view.

Jasper is a nice small town in the middle of the mountains, very close to the Buffalo River. It may be a little isolated for you, but if you want nature, you've got it there! As for libraries and museums, you would have to go to Harrison (about a 30 min. drive) or Russellville (a little over an hour) for that, although Jasper, being the County Seat (such as it is....the population is around 500), has a library, but I can't imagine that it has much to choose from. There is always the Inter-Library Loan, though!

A couple more small towns that come to mind are Altus, Winslow (you want small, Winslow's got it, but nature?....whooeee, it has it in spades), and one that Nita is always mentioning, West Fork, which is, I think, sort of a "bedroom" community for Fayetteville. I haven't actually been there, but Nita has and could tell you more about it.

One problem you will have with small towns is that you say you want to rent instead of buy. Not much for rent in Jasper except apartments (ick), nor in most small towns. West Fork, being a little larger, might have more rentals.

Again, take a look at whatever you're interested in on google. Mighty revealing, when you've read a glowing realtor description of a house, it looks like just what you want, and when you look at it on google street view, it's in a dumpy neighborhood, or right next to a chicken processing plant, or something like that.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:40 AM

602 posts, read 1,516,000 times
From the photos, you'll be able to find that "isolated" look if you stick to the areas around larger towns e.g. Ft. Smith, Fayetteville, Springdale, Rogers, Bentonville.

In order to find a job, you really are going to have to be within 20-30 minutes of one of the larger towns. I just don't think you'll be able to find a banking or retail job in Harrison or Mt. Home, etc. Or at least something where you'll make enough to pay your rent.

Another factor--gas costs. I filled up yesterday at it was $3.75/gal. The farther away you live from a job, the more your pay will go to pay for your transportation costs. There is no reliable public transportation in NWA (there is a regional bus system but not like big city transportation).

Old 03-08-2012, 02:31 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGreatEscape View Post
From the photos, you'll be able to find that "isolated" look if you stick to the areas around larger towns e.g. Ft. Smith, Fayetteville, Springdale, Rogers, Bentonville.

In order to find a job, you really are going to have to be within 20-30 minutes of one of the larger towns. I just don't think you'll be able to find a banking or retail job in Harrison or Mt. Home, etc. Or at least something where you'll make enough to pay your rent.

Another factor--gas costs. I filled up yesterday at it was $3.75/gal. The farther away you live from a job, the more your pay will go to pay for your transportation costs. There is no reliable public transportation in NWA (there is a regional bus system but not like big city transportation).

Yep, I live in Farmington (about 5 min west of Fayetteville) and quite a bit of land and live in an area considered to be rural but very close to town.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:37 PM

807 posts, read 2,515,434 times
Good luck on the "No tornados" thing. You're subject to being in one of those 365 days a year here. You just never know!

I would suggest living in the rural areas right around Little Rock or Hot Springs. You can still live somewhere pretty isolated yet close to decent-sized city at the same time.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:56 PM

69 posts, read 176,478 times

CBS News Sunday Morning - Alice Walton's Crystal Bridges Museum - YouTube

Old 03-08-2012, 04:38 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenKarber View Post
Good luck on the "No tornados" thing. You're subject to being in one of those 365 days a year here. You just never know!

I would suggest living in the rural areas right around Little Rock or Hot Springs. You can still live somewhere pretty isolated yet close to decent-sized city at the same time.
I think that is a slight exageration: sure, tornados can happen anyplace in the state, but the chances are pretty slim in some areas. This is like saying no anything like heavy snow fall in Albuquerque, it happens rarely but it can happen or even earthquakes; we don't have them here, well, excpect for mild trimmers (mild for those of us who have lived in places like Ca) but it could happen.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:15 PM

80 posts, read 209,846 times
I'm sure there are many parts of Arkansas that would offer what you're looking for; and I've found the cost of living throughout the state is very reasonable. I might suggest that while you're there you take a side trip to Branson, MO (only about 20 miles north of the MO/AR state line). Branson itself is pretty touristy and can get really crowded; however the year-round population is pretty small and it seems that they are always looking for employees. With the building of the new Branson Landing and all the name brand retail stores they've brought in there -- as well as the theaters, resorts, hotels/motels, and other tourist attractions -- I suspect you wouldn't have any problem getting a job. While you might not want to live in Branson itself, there are a number of small towns in the area and I suspect rent isn't terribly high. Another nice feature of Branson is their new airport (as well as the Springfield airport that is only about half an hour away) and decent fares if you want to fly back to FL for a visit. Another plus for Banson in your situation is the number of young people (mostly aspiring entertainers) who live in and around the area, which might provide more possibility of making friends and developing a social life than in some of the more remote areas that mostly appeal to retirees. Just a thought.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:45 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDB View Post
I don't like the city. The smaller the town, the better.
I prefer forests and lakes to horns blaring and skyscrapers.
I prefer museums, libraries, and bowling, to clubs, college partying, blah blah. I live near Ybor in Tampa, so all we have here is partying partying partying 24/7.
I like quiet and boring, not boisterous and lively, lol.
I want to look out the window and see nature, not trees plucked from elsewhere and planted in the grassy patch on the sidewalk.
I definitely want to live in a town where there are no tornadoes, for personal reasons.

In my research, I found a few towns/cities that might work are Eagle River, Eureka Springs, Holiday Island, and Mountain Home.

Any Arkansas residents familiar with the state, where do you think I'd be happy? I'll be checking back regularly.

Thank you so much in advance
LadyDB, your biggest problem to overcome will probably be that last one on your list - no tornadoes. Here's a link to tornadoes mapped from 1950-2011. You can zoom in to see historically what has happened in any area, but as you can see the map is pretty crowded.

Tornado History Project: Arkansas

You can find a thousand small towns that meet your criteria in Arkansas - the problem is going to be finding suitable employment, then finding employment that will match up with a reasonable commuting distance. You don't mention what you'd need in the way of a job, and that might be the first point to consider. Northwest Arkansas is quite beautiful and there are some rural areas that would absolutely be what you're looking for. There's also a lot of folks relocating there, so you'd be best off to have that problem addressed before you move.

Most of Arkansas is not "boisterous and lively" - not in the sense I think you're talking about. We don't need to bring in trees, we have lots of our own :-)

Small towns really don't concentrate on museums. That's Little Rock and Fayetteville, and the pickings are kinda slim in both. The new Crystal Bridges Museum in Bentonville has constantly changing exhibits from all over the world, though, and has been a huge boon to the area - it really is a fantastic place (thanks again, Walmart!). One little town that is overlooked a lot is Siloam Springs (pop. 15,000), but it is quite charming. You get a little east Oklahoma feel there, but it's close enough to Fayetteville and the more populated areas that it's an easy 30 mi. drive. Another pretty cool town is Paris (pop. about 4000), which is close to Mt. Magazine. The area is gorgeous.

Mount Magazine - Arkansas State Park - Arkansas State Parks

The area around Heber Springs/Greers Ferry is gorgeous, but again - work. (Don't you just hate it when you have to plan your life around a job? LOL!).

You'll probably need to find employment first - nature, beauty, and small towns are everywhere. The weather we can't do much about, and avoiding tornadoes altogether won't happen in Wyoming either...but admittedly it is much more frequent in Arkansas.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:53 PM

288 posts, read 1,079,748 times
Check out Hot Springs Village, Bella Vista Village, and Cherokee Village. All were developed by the same company. I'm in Hot Springs Village. We have a 16 lane bowling center, and there are two more within 30 minutes. Attached is a picture of the community center / tennis courts / fitness center.
Attached Thumbnails
Based on the following, where in Arkansas should I go?-evening-coronado-center.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas