U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 01:50 PM

2,458 posts, read 3,598,743 times

Advertisements

There are several small county museums in Arkansas, some run by the county and some by the local genealogical or historical societies and are all supported by volunteers. Every one I have visited has some great (mostly) local history exhibits and do not get the attention they deserve. I hope others will add to this Thread some they have visited and appreciated. I will start it off with; Clark County in the railroad depot in Arkadelphia, Nevada County in Prescott (also in depot-they seem to be popular), Hot Spring County in an old house in Malvern, and Grant County in Sheridan. The Sheridan one has moved since I was last there so I'm not sure where it is now located. Come on readers - please add to this list
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 02:23 PM

29,210 posts, read 11,825,079 times
Rogers Historical Museum; Peel House in Bentonville; Shiloh Museum of Ozark History (one of the finest museums on history you will visit)

Besides the Pea Ridge Military Park, the town of Pea Ridge also has a city museum. Daisy BB Gun has a "museum" in downtown Rogers that's very interesting. And of course there's the Wal-Mart museum on the Bentonville square. The Hobbs State Park has the Van Winkle trail where they've identified where the lumber mill was located, where the main house was, where the slave quarters were, where the machine shop was. It's very interesting. And of course it's close to the War Eagle Mill which is still operating. In Northwest Arkansas there are also numerous caves that are open to the public and that have both historic significance as well as geological and ecological interest.

The entire town of Eureka Springs is like a museum. And they do have one of the Victorian mansions that they've turned into a city museum.

Prairie Grove Battlefield. Arkansas Air Museum at Drake Field in Fayetteville.

I think both Lowell and Tontitown have city museums as well. Bella Vista has a small museum.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:29 PM

374 posts, read 352,356 times
The Old Independence Regional Museum in Batesville is pretty neat, the only sizeable museum I know of in the central northeast area. The tiny museum in Stone County would probably only be internesting to those who have family ties to the area; there are some pretty good documents there pertaining to the founding families. Estate inventories, Civil War records, diaries, ect.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:02 PM

2,458 posts, read 3,598,743 times
Thanks DC and Ark That's what I'm talkin' about I'm sure there are many more around the state that gets little attention. Tomorrow I'm going to the one in Arkadelphia which is setting up a great display on the old sawmill "ghost town" of Graysonia. I'm taking, for temporary loan, a rocking chair that was purchased from the Graysonia commissary in 1930. The volunteers there tell me they actually get more visitors from out of town than local. Usually they are people who have moved away and are looking so they can make a "connection" to their youth. Some of the volunteers have never seen Graysonia, only the photos they are displaying, so tomorrow I'll volunteer to take any who want to go, on a guided tour of the site.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:49 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,638,858 times
There's one in Jasper, run by the Newton County Historical Society. It's in a neat old house. I have to admit I've never been in it, but I've always wanted to. So many things to do, so little time. Here is a link to their web page:

Bradley House Museum

Also one in Ozark, a neat little town. It's in the old railroad depot, right on the river. I've been in this one, but it's been a long time and I can't remember much about it....but the old building alone is worth the tour. A link:

Ozark Area Depot Museum, Ozark, AR - River Valley Region

Also one in the little town of Altus, not far from Ozark. Link:

Altus Things To Do - Attractions & Must See - VirtualTourist

Old 05-04-2012, 10:59 AM

29,210 posts, read 11,825,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
There's one in Jasper, run by the Newton County Historical Society. It's in a neat old house. I have to admit I've never been in it, but I've always wanted to. So many things to do, so little time. Here is a link to their web page:

Bradley House Museum

Also one in Ozark, a neat little town. It's in the old railroad depot, right on the river. I've been in this one, but it's been a long time and I can't remember much about it....but the old building alone is worth the tour. A link:

Ozark Area Depot Museum, Ozark, AR - River Valley Region

Also one in the little town of Altus, not far from Ozark. Link:

Altus Things To Do - Attractions & Must See - VirtualTourist
I've been to the one in Altus. Interesting photos and information on the coal mining. And if you're in that area, you should visit St Mary's, as well. The interior is spectacular.

Beautiful St. Mary's Catholic Church in Altus Arkansas - YouTube

Old 05-04-2012, 12:56 PM

50,031 posts, read 42,397,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I've been to the one in Altus. Interesting photos and information on the coal mining. And if you're in that area, you should visit St Mary's, as well. The interior is spectacular.

Beautiful St. Mary's Catholic Church in Altus Arkansas - YouTube
[i] was about to say, Bella Vista, but I see you mentioned it in your first posting, I will add, to those who are interested, it is really small and that is putitng in mildly, but the history of bV is interesting.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:43 PM

9,595 posts, read 4,858,195 times
Have they finished the U.S. Marshall's museum in Fort Smith?

Old 05-06-2012, 04:03 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,638,858 times
Yes, that church above Altus is beautiful....and there is also a great view from it, with plenty of big boulders to sit on while you look at it.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:37 PM

12,439 posts, read 5,776,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Have they finished the U.S. Marshall's museum in Fort Smith?
They have not broken ground yet. I think there is a funding issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas