Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2007, 08:37 AM

9 posts, read 25,587 times

Advertisements

Hi

Can anyone share any information on the small town of Gurdon?

Thanks.

rick

Old 09-21-2007, 08:29 AM

24 posts, read 74,861 times
Well, I can tall you this. if you go down a certain streach of railroad after dark you will see a dim, flashing light just at the horizon point ahead. You keep walking towards it but it's always on that horizon until it finally stops flashing. When you turn around to go back the light is now on the opposite horizon.

Legend is the light is coming from the lantern of a railroad worker who was killed years ago.

The light is there, I've seen it. A bunch of us went down to see the "Gurden Light" back when I was a teenager. Folks have been going down there to scare the pants of girls for a long time. It's a lot of fun, just be careful because some of the farmers don't take kindly to trespassers and will meet you with a loaded 12 guage.

If you like those kinds of spooky things, there's also a "Spook Light" located off an old dirt road somewhere in the Northeast Oklahoma / Southwest Missouri region. My grandpa said he went to see that one when HE was a teenager.

Hope this doesn't skue the topic of your query but hearing that name reminded me of the light. Besides, it's more fun to talk about those things this close to Halloween.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:40 AM

OK...that's a start.

Anyone, other than little green men who glow in the dark live there?

I, had read about that light on numerous websites when I first Googled Gurdon.

But, I learned almost nothing else, other than the main employer is Georgia Pacific and 2,000 folks call it home.

There, is a lovely home there we are considering, and want to know more about the town.

Thanks.

rick

Old 09-25-2007, 08:03 AM

297 posts, read 1,299,667 times
Default Gurdon

Gurdon is a very small town close to Arkadelphia. I'm sure it's a friendly community. I'm not sure where children go to school there. I live in Camden and sometimes drive through Gurdon on my way to Little Rock or Hot Springs. Arkadelphia is a nice size town with 2 colleges and a beautiful lake called De Gray and you're not far from Malvern, Hot Springs, Benton or Little Rock.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:43 AM

Thanks, anjoe.

That's something.

We are retiring, so schools are not a factor.

BTW, do you like it in Camden? I have read some negative comments on these boards about it. As, we seek an older, historic home, they are almost always in the 'inner city' or older parts of town, so crime and decay of those neighborhoods is always a concern - is that true of Camden?

rick

Old 09-25-2007, 02:34 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,494,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence&Kim View Post
Well, I can tall you this. if you go down a certain streach of railroad after dark you will see a dim, flashing light just at the horizon point ahead. You keep walking towards it but it's always on that horizon until it finally stops flashing. When you turn around to go back the light is now on the opposite horizon.

Legend is the light is coming from the lantern of a railroad worker who was killed years ago.

The light is there, I've seen it. A bunch of us went down to see the "Gurden Light" back when I was a teenager. Folks have been going down there to scare the pants of girls for a long time. It's a lot of fun, just be careful because some of the farmers don't take kindly to trespassers and will meet you with a loaded 12 guage.

If you like those kinds of spooky things, there's also a "Spook Light" located off an old dirt road somewhere in the Northeast Oklahoma / Southwest Missouri region. My grandpa said he went to see that one when HE was a teenager.

Hope this doesn't skue the topic of your query but hearing that name reminded me of the light. Besides, it's more fun to talk about those things this close to Halloween.
to scare the pants of girls , Not a bad idea

Old 12-04-2011, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,889 times
I love Gurdon. I moved here from the west coast about 20 years ago and absolutely enjoy the peace and quiet and affordability of the Gurdon community. Other relatives of mine have also relocated and enjoy Gurdon. There are great schools here including a wonderful new campus for the Cable Middle and Gurdon High schools and a new auditorium that offers some entertainment opportunities. There are many churches, a great walking trail that winds through the oak trees, a park with a stocked lake and fishing pier. There are also some great restaurants, a grocery store, two banks, a pharmacy, two hardware stores (one with lumber and other building supplies) a dentist, a health clinic and more. Gurdon is conveniently located to the interstate and the bigger town of Arkadelphia and it's two universities. Gurdon is quieter and more affordable than Arkadelphia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas