U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 07:33 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,863,039 times

Advertisements

We had 7 on the field yesterday for the first ever Gaelic football played in Arkansas! County Tipperary was well represented with 3 families all originating from there coming out to either play or watch. UCA soccer was also represented and we're looking for more guys from there next weekend! No one wound up in the hospital either! It was very friendly and easy going.

My descriptions of the roughness of the game really only apply for the highest levels of play at the county level in Ireland. If you're looking for something to do on a Sunday afternoon, come on out and watch and meet some new faces!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 07:59 AM

3,434 posts, read 8,804,091 times
makes me wish I didnt live 2 1/2 hours away..Id love to play.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
makes me wish I didnt live 2 1/2 hours away..Id love to play.
We'd love for you to play! I'm certainly biased but I think it's a perfect sport for Americans. I think a lot of Americans would really love to be able to get into soccer but the way it's played just doesn't excite most of us. Gaelic football has a lot of the flow and beauty of soccer but with some physical elements and high scoring. It's really the perfect combination, or as near a perfect combination as I've ever seen.

One of my many goals is to get several smaller groups playing around the state. If we can do that, then we can have a small "league." So if you're interested and you could get even 3 or 4 other people from around your area to try it out, I'd be more than willing to drive out and teach the basics until you're ready to go it alone. We could arrange for several small games at each location throughout the summer. I've played some very fun games that were small as 5 aside so even if you don't have a full complement I'm sure some of the locals here wouldn't mind traveling that to help bring some numbers out. I mean...we're looking at having to travel to St. Louis as the nearest location for matches so 2.5 hours would be nothing!

Old 11-29-2007, 07:38 AM

New website up for this activity: Little Rock GAA (http://littlerock.arkansas.gaa.ie - broken link). Is this considered advertising when there's no cost???

Old 11-29-2007, 02:05 PM

5,981 posts, read 15,923,921 times
Nope, it's just local news, storm! Thanks for the link!

Old 12-10-2007, 08:40 AM

After only a month of miniscule, word of mouth recruiting efforts, we're up to about 15 Gaelic football players with a good balance of men and women! We're going to be doing some indoor practices in January.

I am also VERY pleased to report, we have an experienced candidate who wants to lead a group in NWA!! So any residents up there who are looking for something to do in 2008 drop me a PM or go to our website (Little Rock GAA (http://littlerock.arkansas.gaa.ie - broken link)) and send me an email and I'll hook you up with our new NWA GAA lead. This is an excellent sport for soccer or basketball players looking for a bit more contact or football or rugby players looking for a bit less! It's an Irish sport...but you don't have to be Irish to play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas