U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 02:53 PM

2,370 posts, read 6,859,868 times

Advertisements

Hey there everyone

It looks like we will finally be returning home to LR sometime around the middle of October unless the sale of our house here in MD falls apart..which in this current market is a real possibility. During my 6 years here I've taken up playing a couple of sports that are pretty rare in the US but are nonetheless very cool and gaining in popularity. These two sports are the national games of Ireland: Hurling and Gaelic football.

Hurling is one of the most ancient games on earth and has been played for over 2000 years. It's the grandfather of both field hockey and ice hockey and resembles a cross between lacrosse and field hockey.

Gaelic football resembles a cross between rugby and soccer with a bit of basketball thrown in but it's older than all of those. The closest related sport is Aussie rules but there's less contact in Gaelic and it's played with a round ball.

Here in the US, these games are played in over 20 cities nationwide with a very strong club in St. Louis. I'd love to start one when I get back and I thought I'd put it out there to some of you folks just to see if there'd be any interest. I've got enough friends and other networks that I think it's possible to build a decent size club by next year. Most of the clubs in the US play pretty competitively and the end goal would be to field a team that would travel to play but there'd always be room from the guy or gal that just wants to play casually or just learn some about the game. We often play low or non-contact co-ed so that would be how I'd approach it there too.

Here are some links to some video and other sites with more information about how the games are played :

Sidebar Video (http://www.myfoxdc.com/myfox/MyFox/pages/sidebar_video.jsp?contentId=4270504&version=1&loca le=EN-US - broken link)
MyFox Washington DC | Holly Morris: D.C. Gaels Hurling (http://www.myfoxdc.com/myfox/pages/InsideFox/Detail?contentId=4267815&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=5.2.1 - broken link)
wcco.com - Video Library
http://www.denvergaels.com/video/gaels/dgaels96-hq.ram (broken link)

I've already contacted the Irish Cultural Society of Arkansas and they've said they'll lend support. For those who don't know, they're the group that puts on the LR St. Patty's Parade. Anyone who's interested in learning more send me a direct message and I'll answer any detailed questions you might have! Even if you don't live in or around LR, give me a holler, I'll teach anyone and I'll be willing to drive a bit to do it!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 10:29 PM

697 posts, read 2,565,299 times
I think you'll find that hurling is already incredibly popular in Fayetteville among the fraternity houses on Razorback football weekends. Why, from nearly every restroom and bush along the . . . what? Oh. Never mind.

Seriously, dude, you want to turn a bunch of Arkansans loose with hurleys? Braver than I am.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackensack View Post
I think you'll find that hurling is already incredibly popular in Fayetteville among the fraternity houses on Razorback football weekends. Why, from nearly every restroom and bush along the . . . what? Oh. Never mind.

Seriously, dude, you want to turn a bunch of Arkansans loose with hurleys? Braver than I am.
Can't be any worse than the group of Baltimoreans that have been turned loose with hurleys that I've played alongside before!

Old 11-08-2007, 07:33 AM

Gaelic football practices and scrimmages will be starting up Sunday, November 18 at 3:00PM at Laurel Park in Conway. We'll be aiming to play co-ed and make contact light enough to be suitable for a wide range of ages from teens up to greybeards. We'll continue every Sunday afternoon until the weather drives us off the pitch. Even if you're not interested in playing, you should come out and learn about something new, if you're close enough that is.

Bring: Cleats, water bottle
Cost: FREE

Old 11-08-2007, 06:49 PM

564 posts, read 2,065,856 times
In the bigger cities, this may take off, as you have people from other countries and other parts of the country living there.

In some of these areas, however, European sport won't take off very well. Americans, especially Southerners, are resistant to anything other than their beloved football. I can't tell you how many rude comments I get when I want to discuss european football (soccer) with others. You may have better luck than I have, but usually when it comes to matters of European forms of football (whether it be rugby, aussie rules, gaelic, etc), rednecks give it the "THEM DANG EUROPEANS!" approach. I wish you the best of luck in this, I really do hope you can change some minds. I'm as Irish as can be, so it feels good to see something from my country of origin spread around. I just hope it doesn't get the negative reaction that soccer gets.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:12 AM

I already have a decent core number of people verbally committed by word of mouth. I've built a team before in a rather rural and rednecky area and had success. It's all about persistance and networking. It took 1 solid year of kicking a ball mostly to myself or a very small handful of other people and then all of a sudden numbers started showing up. Americans seem to give it a lot more respect when they learn it's Irish in origin. There's just an expectation that it will be something more exciting to the American psyche and they're rarely disappointed. Gaelic has a lot more frenetic pace and physical contact than soccer. It sure isn't a game for gentlemanly play!! Was I expecting anyone from this forum? Not at all, but if someone did happen to come out then that's a bonus. I don't think your experiences with soccer negativity are restricted to the south! And my direct experiences indicate that folks here in central Arkansas are quite receptive to other forms of football, aside from soccer that is. Little Rock rugby had almost enough players at practice last night to form 2 mens teams! So there's plenty of people out there interested in doing something different.

So anyways...since you're Irish, you should come out and learn your people's REAL sport. Remember, soccer was introduced by the British trying to flex their imperial muscle and trample the traditional Irish culture. Forget their game, play ours.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:49 AM

5,981 posts, read 15,913,806 times
Undertheironsea - I disagree - there's a good-sized rugby club in Arkansas - and a little on the brutal side for a sport in my eyes, but they have a big following...I have a cousin who plays and it's been quite popular here. I think America in general is nuts about football and less so about soccer, but hopefully there's always room for one more niche.

Good luck, stormcrow...is Gaelic more akin to rubgy?

Old 11-09-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Undertheironsea - I disagree - there's a good-sized rugby club in Arkansas - and a little on the brutal side for a sport in my eyes, but they have a big following...I have a cousin who plays and it's been quite popular here. I think America in general is nuts about football and less so about soccer, but hopefully there's always room for one more niche.

Good luck, stormcrow...is Gaelic more akin to rubgy?
Gaelic is really it's own beast. It's right down the middle brutality wise between soccer and rugby. Hitting is more akin to ice hockey style checking. No rugby style tackling is allowed but if you're strong or big enough to shoulder an opponent to the ground, that's perfectly fine. I usually tell people that you'll wake up the next day and know you've done something but you'll still be able to walk and the risk of real injury (broken bones, separated shoulders, concussion, etc.) is all but nil (I've NEVER seen any major injury in 4 years of association with the sport). The most common injuries in Gaelic are: jammed fingers, bruised arms (you can attempt to beat the ball out of the ball carrier's hands), and twisted ankles. In fact, the soccer players I've coached were always getting themselves injured playing soccer but came out of Gaelic with just a few bruises! I personally believe the soccer sliding tackle is extremely dangerous since it tends to put lateral motion on joints that just aren't meant to move in that direction (i.e. the knee). Gaelic contact is limited to above the waist where the body is more capable of taking the impact. It's really a game about ball distribution, athletic leaping ability, and accurate kicking, the hitting is really secondary. Probably a lot more info than you were wanting!

IMO, there's LOTS of room for niche sports in America. Look at ultimate frisbee!! It's grown from NOTHING to being a fairly common participartory sport in just 20 or so years. The thing is, we love OUR football, but where can you go play any form of it besides the flag version when you're an adult??? There are no recreational tackle football leagues. So if you want to actually participate in a sport as an adult, you're likely picking something besides that first love of American football.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:01 PM

5,981 posts, read 15,913,806 times
And this is co-ed??? Wow...well, ya'll put on your nice Southern manners and don't be shouldering anyone to the ground, okay??? I think this oldster will just stay home and live vicariously through you - but do give us an update on your showing and how many got an insider's tour of Conway Regional afterwards, okay?

Old 11-09-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
And this is co-ed??? Wow...well, ya'll put on your nice Southern manners and don't be shouldering anyone to the ground, okay??? I think this oldster will just stay home and live vicariously through you - but do give us an update on your showing and how many got an insider's tour of Conway Regional afterwards, okay?
LOL, you have to make provisions for co-ed play. Usually, for co-ed you make sure that ladies only markup ladies. We aren't going to be playing too competitively just yet so the contact will stay light, more like a fairly rough game of basketball. Once numbers reach a certain point, you break apart into mens and womens team and go full tilt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas