Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 08:39 AM

7 posts, read 21,615 times

Advertisements

Looking for more information on Berryville, Ar for possible relocation. I was in Harrison the first of May and liked it but was a bit spread out and busy with the highway traffic. Unfortunately, due to a death in the family had to cut trip short and did not get to Berryville like I had planned. I was in the Branson area last week and was very beautiful but too commercialized. I am over 40 with 2 grown children and a 3 yr old (yes you read it right). I come from small town around 8000 people and want to stay in that range. I want my son to be a person not a number in the school system. I am looking for employment as well without having to commute as I don't drive. I have experience in factory(12 yrs shipping/receiving) have worked on farms as well as raised my own chickens and horses. Any help for me?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 08:44 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
I think Berryville, and Arkansas in general, is a tough place to live if you don't drive. Public transportation is very limited in the state.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:54 AM

I am ok with walking as long as employment child care and housing are close together. Been walking for years so it is nothing new....just tired of doing it in 12 inches of snow

Old 06-05-2012, 09:06 AM

I appreciate that you enjoy walking, but Berryville is pretty spread out, I think. It could be pretty challenging to find employment, childcare and housing close together there. Northwest Arkansas has public transportation, though it's limited, in the Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers areas.

Believe me, I've lived in Arkansas without a car, and it's tough going. When the temperature is approaching 100 degrees, and there's no breeze to speak of, getting milk home from the grocery store before it goes sour is a challenge. While Arkansas is becoming more pedestrian and bike-friendly, that trend is most prevalent in the areas with money, the more urban areas.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:39 AM

602 posts, read 1,515,494 times
With no car and a young car, your living options will be VERY limited. I do not think you will find what you are looking for in Berryville, Harrison, even Branson. At some point in these small towns, you will need a car.

As far as your child being a person and not a number in school, I honestly believe it doesn't have a lot to do with how big or small the school is. It has to do with how engaged the parent/s are? My children are products of F'ville public schools. Neither are/were just numbers. When they were in elementary I was at the school almost every day helping where I could. I knew teachers on a first name basis. As my children grew older, I didn't appear at their schools as often. I would always make contact with teachers via email, etc. They knew if they needed anything they could call on me.

If you are really wanted to live in a small town such as Berryville, you better be prepared to (learn to) drive.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:43 AM

I know how to drive.....not able to thanks for the input

Old 06-05-2012, 10:51 AM

602 posts, read 1,515,494 times
jenko69~All of the situations I can think of in Berryville would require transportation. There are Tyson plants in the area for employment but you'd have to get there.

Eureka Springs may be a possible option. It is a big tourist town during the spring-fall. You could possibly find employment, housing, and childcare within walking distance.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGreatEscape View Post
jenko69~All of the situations I can think of in Berryville would require transportation. There are Tyson plants in the area for employment but you'd have to get there.

Eureka Springs may be a possible option. It is a big tourist town during the spring-fall. You could possibly find employment, housing, and childcare within walking distance.
And Eureka Springs has the trolley. While obviously the trolley caters to tourists, it is public transportation of a sort. The biggest problem with Eureka Springs is that many businesses shut down during the winter months, and I would think the OP needs employment during the winter months.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:34 PM

yes that would be the case. I have been to fayetteville and don't care for the hustle and bustle. Springdale Lowell Bentonville Rogers and Fayetteville seem to all run together. I love NWA with the rivers mountains and lakes and want that for my son as well as for myself. I am staying with my mom right now(which really isn't fun) but can stay here indefinitely until the job comes thru. I have been in Iowa for past 20+ years and hate it. I am basically down to going where the job is. I have never been unemployed this long and I am ready to go back to work....I am sending resumes out all over Arkansas, SC, NC, TN and KY
I just figured with small town of population 5500 I would be able to walk where I needed to until I made friends and worked out a rideshare situation. Maybe that isn't the case.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenko69 View Post
yes that would be the case. I have been to fayetteville and don't care for the hustle and bustle. Springdale Lowell Bentonville Rogers and Fayetteville seem to all run together. I love NWA with the rivers mountains and lakes and want that for my son as well as for myself. I am staying with my mom right now(which really isn't fun) but can stay here indefinitely until the job comes thru. I have been in Iowa for past 20+ years and hate it. I am basically down to going where the job is. I have never been unemployed this long and I am ready to go back to work....I am sending resumes out all over Arkansas, SC, NC, TN and KY
I just figured with small town of population 5500 I would be able to walk where I needed to until I made friends and worked out a rideshare situation. Maybe that isn't the case.
Berryville does have a nice square, but business in Berryville tends to be strung out along the highway, rather than consolidated in the square. That's why I'd hesitate to try to live there without a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas