U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 02:04 PM

653 posts, read 1,673,647 times

Advertisements

Always love your stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 02:19 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,173,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunner1982 View Post
Always love your stories.
Thanks prerunner, I'll take all the "roses" I can gather

Old 04-04-2013, 02:29 PM

Here's a treasure I didn't find, thankfully. I had an archeology contract with the Ouachita National Forest and one day I was working in a very remote area when I came up on an old abandoned camp site. Out of curiosity I started nosing around there in case anything interesting/valuable had been left behind. And there was! Out in the woods not far from the camp was a pile of cans and bottles that had once contained ingredients for making meth. It was obvious they had once been covered with limbs and brush but over time the leaves had dried and fallen off and only the sticks remained. I departed - rapidly

Old 10-20-2013, 09:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,764 times
There is a treasure that is hidden in the city of Pine Bluff Arkansas and the treasure was placed about six feet into the ground in the back yard of a house located on the 2100 block of Reed street by robbers who robbed a Well Fargo train back in the 1870's. THE TREASURE IS WORTH MILLIONS but it is said to be CURSED ! ! !

Old 10-21-2013, 08:03 PM

Back when I was a serious treasure hunter I found that the most exciting part of it was the research and the imagination/dream of actually finding it. Too often the actual search was anticlimactic because I never found "the big one" and continued to have to work for a living

Old 10-22-2013, 10:18 AM

1,955 posts, read 2,602,056 times
(Tip) When searching an old homestead or an old house site, try to find evidence of a fence line. Some folks would bury their money under a fence post. They would pull the staples that secure the barbed wire, lift the post out of the hole, put the money in the hole and set the fence post back in the hole on top of the money. Then they would re-staple the wire. Look for evidence of old post holes. Or, if the posts are still there, look for the one/ones that have evidence of the staples having been removed and nailed back over and over.

Also, I heard a story about Jesse James that happened after he robbed a stagecoach coming from Hot Springs, Arkansas and heading west, possibly on the road that is now 270. When they got into Polk county they stopped to see what was in the bank bags. There was nothing but bags of pennies. They ditched them where they were and rode off to rob something else. I have a friend that says he might know a good place to detect to find those pennies. I'm waiting for an invite.

When I was a kid living in south Texas (early1950's), I had a wooden box that I kept my 'valuables' in. One day I decided to bury the box. In the box was 3 1883 silver dollars, an old pocket watch, some old arrowheads, several Indian spear points, and a bag of coins from all over the world. About two weeks after I buried the box, I went to dig it up and it was gone. I found the box all busted open on the other side of the bayou. I guess someone saw me burying the box. I dunno.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:48 PM

slingshot, in addition to the fence post, try to find where the back door steps were located, if there were any, but it depended on the era of the house. That was a common place to hide valuables, but not necessarily buried there. It was for easy access.

I think old bottle collecting has now gone by the wayside but at one time they were very valuable and we would search for the household trash pile and search for bottles. A plumber friend told me he was called to work on the plumbing of a 1920s home in Malvern and when he crawled under the house he found "lots" of old whiskey bottles. One of the previous owners was known to be an alcoholic (they were called "drunks" in the old days) but would never let anyone see him drink, so we suspected he would drink in private then throw his empties under the house.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:17 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,116 posts, read 7,424,662 times
Speaking of old bottles and pottery, I work about 40 miles up river from San Francisco, there is a point sticking out in the river where they dumped debris from the 1906 Earthquake..
It use to be a treasure trove of bottles and pottery

Old 10-23-2013, 02:45 PM

Cali, we found two places like that but not as "rich". One was up the river from Little Rock where, about 1900, one of the hotels dumped their trash. "Kick-up" wine bottles was the main interest there. The other was in Hot Springs where the old Army Navy Hospital dumped. During their time it was way out in the country but now is on the east edge of town. Oh, I almost forgot; during one of my archeology contracts with the Ouachita National Forest we found the dump for one of the many Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camps way out in the boonies in Montgomery County. There was a little bit of everything there but it was especially rich with the heavy white (broken) dinnerware.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:21 PM

Well, I may have found a "treasure" from which I can realize some $$; at least hamburger money. After the heavy rains and flash floods this past year I found an outcrop of mudstone/limestone in central AR. This stone is from the Ordovician - Silurian Periods (405-500 million years ago) and in it were these fossils, and I didn't know there were any in central AR. I have posted these photos on eBay and hope to get a few $$ for them.

Ooops! That printer ink was not found in the formation!!!! Obviously I downloaded an extra photo. "Sor 'bout dat.
Attached Thumbnails
Lost Treasure in Arkansas - Fact, Folklore, and Fable-img_0409.jpg   Lost Treasure in Arkansas - Fact, Folklore, and Fable-img_0415.jpg   Lost Treasure in Arkansas - Fact, Folklore, and Fable-img_0417.jpg   Lost Treasure in Arkansas - Fact, Folklore, and Fable-img_0406.jpg  

Last edited by ArkansasSlim; 10-26-2013 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: Correction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or