U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 12:18 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,223,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinggu View Post
Ring die,pellet mill die for sale|china feed die,ring die manufacturer

We are professional Ring Die manufacturers and factory.We can produce high quality Pellet Die according to your requirements.More types of Pellet Mill Die wanted,please contact us right now
Mod, this doesn't seem to be on topic and Arkansas Slims Thread has been "kidnapped" for commercial purpose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 02:35 PM

This is not a "treasure" in the true sense of the word, but it was a treasure and has been lost. Everyone knows about the hot water springs in the Hot Springs National Park in Garland County, but there is/was a couple more outside that area. One is/was in the Caddo River in Caddo Gap Montgomery County. I haven't checked it out for a few years so I'm not sure it is still flowing.

The subject of this Post is from oral history, was in Hot Spring County near the community of Magnet Cove, and was a flowing hot water spring in a pasture. It was flowing into a stock pond and the property owner got the bright idea that if he exploded some dynamite in the spring the flow would increase. He did, and the flow stopped.

I have read a report of a "warm" spring in Montgomery County in the vicinity of where the community of Slatington was located. That's all I know about it. Oops, I misread the report. "Slatington" was the Quadrangle Map from which the S-T-R was taken. It is 6 1/2 miles southeast of the community of Big Fork. 'sor 'bout dat!

Last edited by Old Fossil; 03-16-2014 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: Correction

Old 11-24-2015, 09:41 PM

1 posts, read 714 times
Can I bump???

Loved reading these stories. Didnt know if there is a new thread or not.

Got any tales around boone/newton county?

Old 11-24-2015, 11:34 PM

16,700 posts, read 39,844,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
Mod, this doesn't seem to be on topic and Arkansas Slims Thread has been "kidnapped" for commercial purpose
Use the red triangle, "Report Post" to get the moderators attention.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahsArkansas View Post
Can I bump???

Loved reading these stories. Didnt know if there is a new thread or not.

Got any tales around boone/newton county?

I don't have any stories from the Ozarks. My world is west central Arkansas. I'm sure there are stories up there though so maybe someone will jump in here and Post some.

I'm getting a big kick from this third season of the Oak Island Series.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Use the red triangle, "Report Post" to get the moderators attention.
Thanks. I didn't know about that.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:26 AM

2 posts, read 173 times
I love this stuff! So I hail from amity Arkansas but lease 6000 acres in between Kirby,Murfreesboro and amity off the Shawmut Rd. We actually control Wall mountain itself and wouldn’t you know we have and old cinnabar shaft coincided with the remains of a makeshift home in the side of the mountain. The fireplace still stands at the base!
As a child I always wanted to explore the mine, as dangerous as that was I didn’t get to until a few years ago I’d shot a deer poorly and tracked him down too the old shaft.
Consequently I couldn’t help digging in the fire place hoping to blindly find something like a beer bottle or can instead I found treasure in my mind!!

Under 100 years of leaves lay a metal handle attached to a broken ceramic cooking pot which clearly showed the manufacturers name “5 western stoneware co.monmouth I’ll” painted on inside a oak leaf
This company didn’t survive the Great Depression!
Being a Woodson by name related to the great Jessie Woodson James
And growing up in these parts I know the 2-3 miles of Rock wall soaring 130 feet into the air at times probably contained its fair share of treasures!

Old 12-19-2018, 11:01 AM

9,946 posts, read 7,902,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
slingshot, in addition to the fence post, try to find where the back door steps were located, if there were any, but it depended on the era of the house. That was a common place to hide valuables, but not necessarily buried there. It was for easy access.

I think old bottle collecting has now gone by the wayside but at one time they were very valuable and we would search for the household trash pile and search for bottles. A plumber friend told me he was called to work on the plumbing of a 1920s home in Malvern and when he crawled under the house he found "lots" of old whiskey bottles. One of the previous owners was known to be an alcoholic (they were called "drunks" in the old days) but would never let anyone see him drink, so we suspected he would drink in private then throw his empties under the house.
When my aunt and uncle renovated their house in Benton, they found a large Niloak Pottery swirl vase lying beneath the old wooden back steps. They had lived in that house since the late 1940s, and never knew what treasure was hidden beneath their feet! My cousin, their son, inherited the vase and displays it proudly in his home.

Old Today, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbitesdog View Post
All kinds of treasure in Arkansas. I was walking a stream in one of the parks and picked this up.I had several arrow head collectors ID it as a Native American knife. It was on private land
And I would "guesstimate" it's about 3,000 years old. From the photo it looks like it's made from novaculite which they quarried in the Ouachita Mountains. Was it found in that vicinity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or