Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2023, 03:03 AM

8,934 posts, read 4,626,235 times

Advertisements

I had lunch, a couple days ago, at a nice little restaurant at Buffalo Point. This sits at the end of highway 268, just over a dozen miles south of Yellville. (Total driving was about 16 miles according to my odometer, and most of the highway is comfortable at 50 mph.)

The view of the Buffalo River is more beautiful than most people in this world will ever get to see.

If this had been 15 years ago, I would have been down there on that river, but today I watched as a small group of canoes made their way up to a sand bar. They were paddling up the river, instead of down? I suspect they were there for the same reason I was. A nice place to have lunch, and then float back, down the river, to the same place they put in.

But today, I get my lunch off a menu, in a nice, clean, quiet, air conditioned (hey, it is July) place. This one has two complete walls of glass, with a panorama of the valley (or is that considered a canyon?). Everything is so green this time of year. I moved here from Central Texas, and in the Centex area, you never see that shade of green.

The menu is fairly eclectic, with appetizers, some sea food and some sandwiches. I was there on a Friday, and during the week, it is open from 7am to 8pm (I think). I can't remember its hours on the weekend. If you want breakfast get there before 10:30. It wasn't crowded at all, and the waitress couldn't have been nicer, coming back a couple times to check on us a couple times and boxing up our desert (pie) so we could eat it later.

I think the thing I will remember most is the view. Perched on the edge of the valley, you can see for miles out of those glass walls. I strongly suspect I will be going there again. Maybe next time, I will eat at one of the outdoor tables.

Last edited by TRex2; 07-16-2023 at 03:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2023, 07:45 AM

214 posts, read 401,340 times
Thanks for posting this. It brought back fond memories of our trip last year. Unfortunately, we are priced out for now.
Your post brought back the day went went to Bull Shoals State Park and the view from the visitor's center. Nothing short of breathtaking.
And the shade of green. Reminded me of that old Johnny Cash song "Forty Shades of Green."
We are in Arizona where it's beautiful, but we sure could use day under 110 degrees at this point, lol.
Hope you are well.

Old 07-16-2023, 11:34 AM

1,262 posts, read 664,065 times
Yes this post does bring back many memories. Thanks OP! Our group of four did an annual canoe trip for many years, all beginning at Buffalo Point. Many trips were started just after a breakfast or lunch meal at that restaurant. Our trips went through the Lower Buffalo Wilderness Area, so beautiful and healing. Take out was on the White River at Shipp's Landing. I recall another wonderful restaurant in Yellville near the 412 and 14 intersection. Can't recall the name but it had a screened-in dining area. The place was always packed with very nice folks there enjoying the great food offered off the menu. Wonderful area all around!

Old 07-18-2023, 07:05 PM

2,706 posts, read 2,206,897 times
What is the name of the restaurant?

Old 07-18-2023, 09:13 PM

1,262 posts, read 664,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
To my knowledge it has always been known simply as The Buffalo Point Restaurant.

Old 07-19-2023, 09:33 AM

8,934 posts, read 4,626,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellacatahoula View Post
To my knowledge it has always been known simply as The Buffalo Point Restaurant.
That is what I understood, also.

You can find it by going about 15 miles, South on 14, from Yellville, until you find state highway 268.

The only direction you can turn, there, is East.

Follow 268 to its end and you will find "Buffalo Point Cabins & Restaurant"

Old 07-19-2023, 10:48 AM

1,392 posts, read 1,397,479 times
i love great local restaurants.

we were in the jasper area for an annual buffalo river adventure in may and ate lunch at the cliff house restaurant. great view, great service and great food!

we also discovered a new great local restaurant in heber springs a few weeks ago. zeke and lizzys. it doesn't have a view, but the food was outstanding!

Old 07-20-2023, 05:41 AM

490 posts, read 1,265,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
i love great local restaurants.

we were in the jasper area for an annual buffalo river adventure in may and ate lunch at the cliff house restaurant. great view, great service and great food!

we also discovered a new great local restaurant in heber springs a few weeks ago. zeke and lizzys. it doesn't have a view, but the food was outstanding!
The Cliff House has 3 cabins about a mile south of the restaurant off of hwy 7. We have stayed there many times and they all have great views, unfortunately not of the river or canyon but they do face west and the sunsets are stunning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas