U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-01-2012, 06:41 PM

2,460 posts, read 2,919,047 times
Default Lost Treasure in Arkansas - Fact, Folklore, and Fable

Arkansas, like many other states, has lots of lost treasure stories. I would like to see this Thread used to pass on some of those stories that you have heard from family members, have personal knowledge, or have heard or read about. There are many stories in Arkansas about lost Spanish gold, or gold mines. The most common ones are of the Spanish had found gold and were mining it until the Indians ran them off, and the Spanish were going cross country with burro loads of gold when they were attacked by Indians and buried the gold and escaped. I will add other Spanish stories from time to time if this Thread is as popular as I hope it will be.

But first I'd like to add my research and opinion on the subject of lost Spanish gold. When the Spanish crossed the Mississippi River and came into what is now Arkansas, they did so about where West Memphis is now located and they found a swamp several miles wide and several miles across, but of course they didn't know that until it took them many many days to get out of it. And I don't find any reference in the available documents referring to them having burros; horses yes, but not burros. Also, after they finally got out of the swamp they found a few friendly Indians but before long they ran into hostiles and their supplies were getting short, so, instead of taking time to look for, and mine gold, their primary objective was to get the outta dodge.

Please jump in here and tell us your stories or you are going to have to read mine from East Pike County and a few Spanish stories thrown in for good measure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-01-2012, 08:09 PM

3,185 posts, read 2,740,887 times
GREAT thread!

Unread 07-01-2012, 08:48 PM

4 posts, read 9,215 times
Lurked here for years, never really posted. Supposed to be a gold cannon, or a cannon filled with gold that was lost crossing the L'anguille River during the Civil War. Some family looked for it when I was a kid, but never saw, lol.

Unread 07-02-2012, 07:34 AM

142 posts, read 21,016 times
Most times the only fortune is the one lost looking for these things. I think Oak Island has something there but too many people have went belly up trying to find it.

Unread 07-02-2012, 09:42 AM

1,389 posts, read 2,022,613 times
We have a book about this at the cabin, and I read some of it last trip for the first time.

There was supposedly some on old Mr. Jones' place around where the cabin is. There are holes in the bluff behind his house, and I'm not sure if that's where he and his family dug around looking for it or not. My mom visited with him a couple of times before he died, and my husband did once. Bless his heart, he wanted to play music for them and he was just about totally deaf, and his instrument was out of tune....if he hadn't been so deaf, my husband would have liked to have gone back and played some with him. He had lots of stories to tell! He carved chains out of wood, and my mom bought one from him before he died.

Anyway, the book I was reading was Buried Treasures of the Ozarks by W.C. Jameson. I found it on Google books:

Buried Treasures of the Ozarks: Legends of Lost Gold, Hidden Silver, and ... - W. C. Jameson - Google Books

Unread 07-02-2012, 12:08 PM

677 posts, read 337,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
We have a book about this at the cabin, and I read some of it last trip for the first time.

There was supposedly some on old Mr. Jones' place around where the cabin is. There are holes in the bluff behind his house, and I'm not sure if that's where he and his family dug around looking for it or not. My mom visited with him a couple of times before he died, and my husband did once. Bless his heart, he wanted to play music for them and he was just about totally deaf, and his instrument was out of tune....if he hadn't been so deaf, my husband would have liked to have gone back and played some with him. He had lots of stories to tell! He carved chains out of wood, and my mom bought one from him before he died.

Anyway, the book I was reading was Buried Treasures of the Ozarks by W.C. Jameson. I found it on Google books:

Buried Treasures of the Ozarks: Legends of Lost Gold, Hidden Silver, and ... - W. C. Jameson - Google Books
I have read several books about gold & silver in the ozarks as well as Jameson's. I may still have a copy arround somewhere. Many of the stories are similar with the names different. One story was about the Yochum silver dollar being similar to Jameson's Huntsville counterfiters.

Unread 07-02-2012, 12:34 PM

Thanks gang, that's what I was hoping for . Keep it up.

Unread 07-02-2012, 01:18 PM

677 posts, read 337,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
Thanks gang, that's what I was hoping for . Keep it up.
Seems I remember reading that Arkansas also had diamonds, "There is wealth in them thar hills".

Unread 07-02-2012, 03:00 PM
miu

12,595 posts, read 19,901,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post
Seems I remember reading that Arkansas also had diamonds, "There is wealth in them thar hills".
Arkansas does indeed have diamonds! If I lived in your state, I'd be visiting that state park ALL of the time!!!

Diamond Mines - Crater of Diamonds State Park

Unread 07-02-2012, 06:05 PM

A very long time ago I was born within 15 miles of the diamond mine and saw it for the first time about 15 years ago, and enjoyed watching the people more than I did digging. I have a cousin who works on off-shore oil rigs and gets long breaks from the rig. He lives about five miles from the mine and when home spends most of his time there. He has found so many that his friends call him "Diamond Jim".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas