Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 10:25 AM

833 posts, read 1,713,531 times

Advertisements

Anyone else noticing leaves falling due to extreme drought?

Our back yard is bordered on 2sides by dense woods and we have a few trees in our back yard also.

Looking out my window reminds me of autumn with my back lawn all covered with leaves ( except the leaves aren't red and gold, but they are a gray/green

It just started about 4 days ago

I will add that the area we are in........Cherokee Village.....is in one of the most drought stricken areas of Arkansas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 10:42 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,864,851 times
I'm also bordered by a wooded area, and the trees are under a lot of stress this year.

According to the weather service, though, we may get a break early next week.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:24 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,864,280 times
I remember several years ago that happened. There was no fall color in nwa, the leaves turned brown and fell off. Hope yall get some much needed rain.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:12 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
We are surrounded by forest, all sides of our property except the back yard. Our lot goes from one street to the other, so our back yard and the forest have the street separating them. I noticed the leaves falling last year, not too much yet, this year. What I also remember from last year was the poor wildlife, looking for water. I am praying we get the rain in a few days they are predicting.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:31 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,957 times
It's ok here in our subdivision, but we just went to Bentonville library, and my little girl was saying "look mummy, it's fall!" because there were so many brown leaves on the ground.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:38 PM

833 posts, read 1,713,531 times
we (Cherokee Village )probably are one of the dryest spots in the state this year,

I only moved down in January ,but I can count on one hand the number of days we had any percipitation at all,

One time this spring we got one light shower while Fayettville got 3 days with rain.

A few days ago we got nothing and Paragould got over an inch.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:23 PM

5 posts, read 8,601 times
I just spent a week in Cherokee Village for a get away, and the foliage did look pretty dry and stressed. It is happening here in NW Arkansas as well. The trees are very dry. I am going to give up making a garden I think. The dry last year and now this seems worse than last year. The day I drove up to Cherokee Village, I drove through a driving rain (June 11th), and I bet CV has seen no rain since that day.

I would be pretty afraid of fire danger this year.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:59 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,246,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSpencer View Post
I just spent a week in Cherokee Village for a get away, and the foliage did look pretty dry and stressed. It is happening here in NW Arkansas as well. The trees are very dry. I am going to give up making a garden I think. The dry last year and now this seems worse than last year. The day I drove up to Cherokee Village, I drove through a driving rain (June 11th), and I bet CV has seen no rain since that day.

I would be pretty afraid of fire danger this year.
Last year had pretty substantial spring rains followed by a dry summer. This year, most of Arkansas hasn't seen substantial rain since March. Spring is supposed to be the wet season. Arkansas, especially the western part though, is prone to these kind of droughts due to proximity to the 100th meridian. It is quite common in a given year to get no rain at all in July and August. Lets hope that doesn't happen this year.

Last edited by bchris02; 07-05-2012 at 10:09 PM..

Old 07-06-2012, 04:09 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,265,697 times
We are in the river valley - if you just sat on the deck and watched the leaves fall you'd swear it was early October. The other thing we noticed is the pecans have started falling. Tiny (and deadly on a rock patio...slippery).

I surely hope the weatherman who says we could get 1 inch of rain starting Sunday knows what he's talking about. The garden is virtually burned up after pumping water to it for days.

Maybe we can all come back and compare water bills in a few days. I know I'll probably need Wells Fargo to take my payment in for me.... :-(

Old 07-06-2012, 04:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
We are in the river valley - if you just sat on the deck and watched the leaves fall you'd swear it was early October. The other thing we noticed is the pecans have started falling. Tiny (and deadly on a rock patio...slippery).

I surely hope the weatherman who says we could get 1 inch of rain starting Sunday knows what he's talking about. The garden is virtually burned up after pumping water to it for days.

Maybe we can all come back and compare water bills in a few days. I know I'll probably need Wells Fargo to take my payment in for me.... :-(
just don't ask us to help with the water bill, we all have our own to worry about..

I feel for the little aninmals. Right now, we are about 11 inches below normal; that is a heck of a lot..Last year I remember, in about Aug seeing a little Red Fox by the side of the road. We all know how fast they can be, it is hard to even seen them they move so fast: well this little guy was just standing there. After a couple of minutes he went back into the woods. I imagine he was looking for water. We have set a couple large bowls of water out for the critters. We have one in the back plus one on the front porch for mommy bird. She is a Cardinal, sitting on her nest, in our hanging plant. I watch her, from the dining room. Her beak is always open, so I am thinking she might be thirsty..

As for the garden, I still have a lot of tomatoes and they are rippening, but slowly. No matter what how much we water it a lost cause. Except for the tomatoes everything is gone. We too, are watering every other morning as soon as we get up. Yesterday, I decided to pull some of it out and try a couple of fall veggies. I did pull stuff out, but I was shocked to feel the ground and find out the water hadn't even touched any of the soil under the mulch.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas