U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 05:28 PM

2 posts, read 477 times

Advertisements

@HaggardHouseElf, any chance you could repost those pictures- they aren't showing anymore. Would love to learn more about your Grandparents too. Hope you are well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 05:30 PM

2 posts, read 477 times
Smile Pictures

Could you repost these? They're just showing up as big, gray explanation points. Would LOVE to see them! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post

The three springs. McFadden 3 Sisters Springs had already had several owners previously, before Aunt Ruth and Uncle Roy Whipple acquired them. They were originally homesteaded by John McFadden in 1875. He had three daughters, and so that is where it is said that the "3 Sisters" part of the name comes from. The area is now preserved as part of Lake Ouachita State Park, and the three springs have now been directed into one stream as well as into Lake Ouachita.

Those (above) were the little vacation cottages people could stay in.

This (above) was the main office for the resort. These last three photos were taken in 1948. My great grand aunt Ruth's house was up on a hill behind this photo.

I don't know if this photo will work... but I'll try:

Old 04-06-2018, 07:36 AM

68,670 posts, read 78,674,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by storeykid View Post
Could you repost these? They're just showing up as big, gray explanation points. Would LOVE to see them! Thanks!
did you notice this post is 6 years old? I doubt the OP is still reading it.

Old 04-10-2018, 04:35 PM

9,253 posts, read 7,469,899 times
I was just there this past Saturday - cold, chilly, unseasonably damp day, but the three springs were running well, and the large house is still there on the hill above them. It was in very good condition, was obviously lived in and cared for. A few cabins were also there, but a sign made it clear that this was all private property, so I could only view them from the road below.

Despite the cold, wildflowers were starting to bloom and trees were trying to leaf out. But - it was 34 degrees and alternately raining and sleeting in Hot Springs Village all day on Friday. Saturday morning was rainy, though the rain subsided by early afternoon and the thermometer reached a balmy 38. I put on all the layers I'd brought with me from Kentucky and went crystal-digging nearby anyway. Found the nicest one just as the mine (Ron Coleman's) closed, of course...

For those unfamiliar with this area, the springs are very close to Lake Ouachita and are in the eponymous state park. The large house on the hill would have a view of the lake, I expect. Pretty area, though prettier when the weather is more seasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or