Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2012, 09:46 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,658,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Where in the world are you getting the idea Johsnbora is NW AR? Have you lived or visited it and have you lived or spent any time in Benton or Washington Counties? Jonesboro is almost 5 hours from Fayetteville, which is the most southern tip of NoWest AR. How can you compare Jonesboro to NWA? I am a little surprised you live in MO and you think Jonesboro is NWA, that is what we are talking about, not all of AR. Blythville is 6 hours away: both cities are on the tN border as well, which would make them much more southern culturally than an area on the Mo,Ok, Kansas border.Comparing Jonesboro to Bentonville would be like comparing Needles Ca with Lake Tahoe, Ca; they both border NV.
Um, where did I say Northwest Arkansas? I know exactly where Jonesboro and Blytheville are. I wasn't replying to anything anyone said about NW Arkansas. People here are generalizing about all of Northern Arkansas trying to make it sound like it has more in common with the midwest than the south. In the case of NE Arkansas, it's completely false. NE Arkansas is the same as the Mississippi Delta. Notice I said NORTHEAST.

Arkansas is in the south in all corners in my opinion. It really doesn't even border the midwest since the first 60 to 70 miles of Southern Missouri are part of the south. Just because a place has a lot of transplants doesn't mean that it isn't part of the south. If NW Arkansas has midwestern tendencies, I would still bet that overall it is still definitely more southern than midwestern.

Last edited by GunnerTHB; 07-29-2012 at 10:21 AM..

Old 07-29-2012, 02:18 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,160,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Um, where did I say Northwest Arkansas? I know exactly where Jonesboro and Blytheville are. I wasn't replying to anything anyone said about NW Arkansas. People here are generalizing about all of Northern Arkansas trying to make it sound like it has more in common with the midwest than the south. In the case of NE Arkansas, it's completely false. NE Arkansas is the same as the Mississippi Delta. Notice I said NORTHEAST.

Arkansas is in the south in all corners in my opinion. It really doesn't even border the midwest since the first 60 to 70 miles of Southern Missouri are part of the south. Just because a place has a lot of transplants doesn't mean that it isn't part of the south. If NW Arkansas has midwestern tendencies, I would still bet that overall it is still definitely more southern than midwestern.
ok, the way you worded it sounded like you were lumping all of northern AR together. You are completely right, you did not say that. I am sorry I misunderstood. I will dd, the first no miles in MO are part of the south. They might have some southern culture but believe me, people in Joplin are anything but southern. As for people claiming AR is Midwest, I don't think hardly anyone on this tread has said that except me and I am only referring to one very small part of the state that is influenced so much by people from outside the state. Nobody can really understand what living in NWA is really like unless they have lived here.

Nita

Old 07-29-2012, 03:17 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,819,909 times
I spent much of my upbringing in solidly-southern NEA. I have relatives I visit frequently in southern MO and spend a lot of time around Springfield-West Plains. There is little difference from Arkansas except the accents aren't exactly the same and it's a little more kept-up looking more often than not. Cultures, values, religion, income levels, political expectations are all the same through there.
Going back for visits from much further north, it's all southern past KC and St. Louis. South of hwy 60 in Missouri, there is no argument.
It's all in the angle you look at it from. I used to think southern MO was more midwestern, but when I lived in a place that was without-a-doubt midwestern and far away from the whole Ozark/Delta region, I realized southern MO had more in common with Arkansas than it does most any other part of the midwest.
Yes, Missouri is officially midwest according to the government. Arkansas is south. Missouri is the border state in that it has an area that more resembles the south, but Arkansas has nowhere that really resembles the midwest. It has transplant areas with people from everywhere in the country. That in and of itself contradicts the modern midwest, a place in which few move there from anywhere else except perhaps a foreign country.

Last edited by northbound74; 07-29-2012 at 03:36 PM..

Old 07-29-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
I spent much of my upbringing in solidly-southern NEA. I have relatives I visit frequently in southern MO and spend a lot of time around Springfield-West Plains. There is little difference from Arkansas except the accents aren't exactly the same and it's a little more kept-up looking more often than not. Cultures, values, religion, income levels, political expectations are all the same through there.
Going back for visits from much further north, it's all southern past KC and St. Louis. South of hwy 60 in Missouri, there is no argument.
It's all in the angle you look at it from. I used to think southern MO was more midwestern, but when I lived in a place that was without-a-doubt midwestern and far away from the whole Ozark/Delta region, I realized southern MO had more in common with Arkansas than it does most any other part of the midwest.
Yes, Missouri is officially midwest according to the government. Arkansas is south. Missouri is the border state in that it has an area that more resembles the south, but Arkansas has nowhere that really resembles the midwest. It has transplant areas with people from everywhere in the country. That in and of itself contradicts the modern midwest, a place in which few move there from anywhere else except perhaps a foreign country.
Obviously as I have said, if you haven't lived here, you really can't judge. Yes, we have people from all over the country living here, but a large number are from the midwest: Iowa, IL, Nebraska, Kansas, Wi, MN and MI. Even our largest Lutheran churches are MO synod, with a few being WI Synod. I will continue to believe there is a flare of Midwest in NWA, not that it is more like the midwest, but there is a resemblance, it certainly isn't much like the rest of AR or the south. I play bridge with 12 to 16 women every Friday: not one was raised here: again, most are from Iowa, MN and Il, even though they have lived here for 2 decades or more. I only know a couple of people who have southern accents: one was raised in Texas, on LA, one in Hot Springs AR.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:00 PM

564 posts, read 2,334,586 times
I'm glad that I'm from Mississippi originally so these arguments never come up with me, haha...

I live in the central part now, and from Fort Smith to Morrilton on I40 almost feels like a mix of eastern Oklahoma and Texas. It's Southern, but not the deep South feel of MS, AL, LA, etc. The Delta and south Arkansas feel like deep South (bordering MS and LA). I can't speak for the Northeast part because I've never visited that area. Northwest Arkansas has a midwestern feel about it, though. Rural north and central Arkansas in the mountains reminds me of eastern Kentucky when I lived there for a while.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:09 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,658,489 times
Quote:
ok, the way you worded it sounded like you were lumping all of northern AR together. You are completely right, you did not say that. I am sorry I misunderstood. I will dd, the first no miles in MO are part of the south. They might have some southern culture but believe me, people in Joplin are anything but southern. As for people claiming AR is Midwest, I don't think hardly anyone on this tread has said that except me and I am only referring to one very small part of the state that is influenced so much by people from outside the state. Nobody can really understand what living in NWA is really like unless they have lived here.

Nita
I should have been more specific as well. Sorry for the confusion. I'm not sure about Joplin so you may be right about that. I'm thinking more like the Sikeston-Poplar Bluff-Kennett-Caruthersville area of Missouri (The Bootheel). It is the south in every way. It just happens to be in a midwestern state. So to correct my earlier statement, Northeast Arkansas does not border the midwest. I just don't want people to think Northern Arkansas is all the same because it is not. Same goes for Southern Missouri.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
There are places south of 70 that are solidly midwestern. Along the Mississippi River, it is 100% midwest until one is in central Cape Girardeau county. After that you go through roughly a 30 mile transition and then you are completely in the south.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:35 PM

374 posts, read 808,799 times
Quote:
Where in the world are you getting the idea Johsnbora is NW AR? Have you lived or visited it and have you lived or spent any time in Benton or Washington Counties? Jonesboro is almost 5 hours from Fayetteville, which is the most southern tip of NoWest AR. How can you compare Jonesboro to NWA? I am a little surprised you live in MO and you think Jonesboro is NWA, that is what we are talking about, not all of AR. Blythville is 6 hours away: both cities are on the tN border as well, which would make them much more southern culturally than an area on the Mo,Ok, Kansas border.Comparing Jonesboro to Bentonville would be like comparing Needles Ca with Lake Tahoe, Ca; they both border NV.
First of all, Arkansas doesn't border Kansas.

No offense, but it seems like you don't know much about most of Arkansas. You're a transplant that lives in the largest retirement area in the state, and your experience within two counties in the extreme northwestern corner of Arkansas doesn't speak for the whole state, much less all of north Arkansas.

There's not much more to say about this. Arkansas is a Southern state to the core, and half of it is actually in the Deep South. The only part that's watered down by Yankees is just those two densely populated counties in one far flung corner. NORTH Arkansas (including north central and north eastern) is Southern as can be, not "heartland" or Midwest. No question, no argument.

And for the record, I have lived in Fayetteville, and it is still Southern. Not Midwestern. Just because a lot of Yankees (no insult intended) have moved there over the years and dilluted the culture a bit, it doesn't change history or geography. And the transplant population there is nothing compared to North Carolina, the Atlanta area, Texas, or even north Alabama.
I speak as a sixth generation Arkie, born and raised. Not trying to be rude, just telling it plain.

Last edited by Ark90; 07-29-2012 at 09:43 PM..

Old 07-30-2012, 03:33 AM

620 posts, read 1,221,920 times
I also have many friends from fayetteville as I only live an hour and a half from there, and they consider it to be southern.....people from around my part of missouri are also southern.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
I also have many friends from fayetteville as I only live an hour and a half from there, and they consider it to be southern.....people from around my part of missouri are also southern.
ok, I give up and I think this is going nowshere. I still feel the NW corner isn't southern lke most people seem to think. In fact I love almost everything southern and love to travel east or south for that reason, but obviosly this is not the way most feel. The debate could go on forever, it was fun, now it is going nowhere. to the OP, if you are still here and you probably are not: the vast majority think AR is very southern. The jury has reached their decision.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
First of all, Arkansas doesn't border Kansas.

No offense, but it seems like you don't know much about most of Arkansas. You're a transplant that lives in the largest retirement area in the state, and your experience within two counties in the extreme northwestern corner of Arkansas doesn't speak for the whole state, much less all of north Arkansas.

There's not much more to say about this. Arkansas is a Southern state to the core, and half of it is actually in the Deep South. The only part that's watered down by Yankees is just those two densely populated counties in one far flung corner. NORTH Arkansas (including north central and north eastern) is Southern as can be, not "heartland" or Midwest. No question, no argument.

And for the record, I have lived in Fayetteville, and it is still Southern. Not Midwestern. Just because a lot of Yankees (no insult intended) have moved there over the years and dilluted the culture a bit, it doesn't change history or geography. And the transplant population there is nothing compared to North Carolina, the Atlanta area, Texas, or even north Alabama.
I speak as a sixth generation Arkie, born and raised. Not trying to be rude, just telling it plain.
border Kansas, you are right, tech it does not, but it is within a few miles of the Kansas border; I stand corrected and it isn't the first time I have misspoke, it won't be the last: as for AR as a state, overall, there I stand my ground: look what I have been saying: I totally agree AR is southern, and I do know a little about the state, but not anything like you know: I am simply, referring to this little corner: I am guessing however, percentage wise, there are easily as many transplants here from the midwest and other parts of the country as there are anywhere in the south. However, that is something we would both need to research. So, as I said a couple minutes ago, I rest my case, but I lost the battle.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas