Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 11:04 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,674,624 times

Advertisements

As others have said, Arkansas is clearly Southern... Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Kimballette; 07-20-2012 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 07-20-2012, 12:06 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,766,739 times
No, Arkansas is not in the Midwest.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:15 PM

160 posts, read 397,691 times
Not to beat you while you're down, but wow, you think people from Arkansas have a Midwest accent? Have you ever spoken to someone from Arkansas?

Old 07-20-2012, 12:36 PM

3 posts, read 33,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by argot View Post
Not to beat you while you're down, but wow, you think people from Arkansas have a Midwest accent? Have you ever spoken to someone from Arkansas?
Well, Mike Huckabee is from Arkansas and sounds fairly Midwestern. His politics are also ultra Conservative in a kind of Kansas heartland way. Arkansas just doesn't seem like a traditional Southern state like North Carolina, Georgia, ect...Maybe sort of western and pioneer-like, but not "Southern."

Old 07-20-2012, 12:46 PM

3 posts, read 33,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
Yeah....because Arkansas and Nebraska are in the same damn region. It isn't like Arkansas shares a border with Mississippi...
Have you ever heard our governor Mike Beebe speak? Or Bill Clinton, for that matter? or anyone from Arkansas? Those are not Midwestern accents, partner.
I thought Bill Clinton was from Louisiana? anyway, he just isn't a "real" Southerner, his accent seems a little fake. Bush is more of a real southerner and he's from Texas. When I think of Southern I think of a Jimmy Carter like accent, sweet tea, grits, swamps, ect. Theres no swamps in Arkansas, isnt it mostly hill and like a grassland prarie?

Old 07-20-2012, 01:04 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,273,471 times
You think the South is full of swamps? You didn't know that the South is a hotbed of conservatism? And yes, Bill Clinton is from AR. He was the governor.

With all due respect, I think you need to take a trip around the US. My guess is you are very young and with parents that didn't talk much about the different regions of the country.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:10 PM

302 posts, read 769,156 times
Some people on the coasts seem to have a funny idea of what is and isn't part of the Midwest. The United States Census Bureau says The Midwest consists of Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Missouri, Kansas and Nebraska. That's it. Not Colorado, Not Montana. Certainly not Arkansas. Not everything between the borders of California and New York is the Midwest.

Even if you want to ignore the Census Bureau for some reason, the fact that Arkansas was part of the Confederate States of America would pretty firmly put it in the South I would think.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:26 PM

630 posts, read 1,264,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanField View Post
I thought Bill Clinton was from Louisiana? anyway, he just isn't a "real" Southerner, his accent seems a little fake. Bush is more of a real southerner and he's from Texas. When I think of Southern I think of a Jimmy Carter like accent, sweet tea, grits, swamps, ect. Theres no swamps in Arkansas, isnt it mostly hill and like a grassland prarie?
1) Arkansas is definitely a southern state. The south is a huge region and contains several "micro cultures", but just because Arkansas may be different from Georgia doesn't mean they're both not southern states.

2) Bill Clinton is an Arkansan, born and bred. He was born in Hope, AR and grew up in Hot Springs. He is about as southern as southern gets. Why would you think his accent is fake?

Moderator cut: off topic

Your original question was valid and I wasn't going to pile on the criticism until you tried to take the Bubba out of Bill Clinton- not without a fight!

Last edited by Kimballette; 07-20-2012 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 07-20-2012, 02:02 PM

160 posts, read 397,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanField View Post
Well, Mike Huckabee is from Arkansas and sounds fairly Midwestern. His politics are also ultra Conservative in a kind of Kansas heartland way. Arkansas just doesn't seem like a traditional Southern state like North Carolina, Georgia, ect...Maybe sort of western and pioneer-like, but not "Southern."
Mike Huckabee's accent is pretty understated, yes, but I'm not sure a politicians or any other public figures are the best people to look at to determine regional accents. I'm sure a lot of them have voice coaches and speak in a way that will impress whoever they're pandering to (e.g. George W's pronunciation of "nuclear"). I don't see how one politician being ultra-conservative lends itself to any specific region. I'm sure there are plenty of ultra-conservatives in Vermont and Hawaii.

As far as how Arkansas "seems" to you, well, I don't know how to convince you otherwise.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:15 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,827,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
Are you talking about Alaska? Because Arkansas' abbreviation is AR.
Hahaha wow that just really proves how little I know about Arkansas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas