Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2013, 11:13 AM

620 posts, read 1,232,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
oh, I am not disagrreing with you at all, but I still stand with saying NWA (Benton, Madison and Washington Counties) are so full of transplants they are not like the rest of AR. I guess this holds true with most states though, if you think about it. The demographics in NO Va, as I mentioned, are very different than the rest of VA, this holds true for Texas and CA as well. NO Ca and soCa could be 2 separate states. The people in the samll towns of Texas are very different from those living in the 4 largest cities and I can guarantee you, the people in the panhandle of Florida do not resemble the people in Miami. Part of this, of course has to do with a very mobile society. Until after WW2 most people were born, raised, died and rarely moved move than 100 miles away. Then the end of the war, the development of better travel and the country totally changed.

I have a feeling this debate could go on for years, but I also think we are beating a dead horse. Geographic and culture can be two very different things, I think those who have lived in AR and those who either have re-located or have never lived here see the question from a different angle. Add to that, those who are just out to prove they are right, whether they are or not and we are going nowhere. No matter why one fells the way they do, people who have not actually lived in NWA and Harrison is not part of the area, have no idea how different it is from the rest of the state. .
Once again look at a map

Old 02-18-2013, 07:17 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
Once again look at a map
Oh, map-snap!

Northwest Arkansas was once a designation that meant northwest Arkansas. It referred generally to the 3rd District legislatively. People sometimes included Ft Smith and Van Buren and Alma as well as Harrison. I've been known to point out in the past that northwest Arkansas and Northwest Arkansas have come to be distinct from one another. When people are referring to metro area, they are referring to Northwest Arkansas, which doesn't include Harrison or Ft Smith at all. It refers to the 540 Corridor when you get north of the tunnel all the way up to the Missouri line (geographically speaking, demographically, it crosses the state line). Hence we have the Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport. Harrison isn't a part of that. Hence we have the Northwest Arkansas Water Authority. Harrison isn't a part of that, either. If you LIVED in Northwest Arkansas, you would understand that. Instead, you act like an expert when you are not.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:09 AM

1,205 posts, read 2,688,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Oh, map-snap!

Northwest Arkansas was once a designation that meant northwest Arkansas. It referred generally to the 3rd District legislatively. People sometimes included Ft Smith and Van Buren and Alma as well as Harrison. I've been known to point out in the past that northwest Arkansas and Northwest Arkansas have come to be distinct from one another. When people are referring to metro area, they are referring to Northwest Arkansas, which doesn't include Harrison or Ft Smith at all. It refers to the 540 Corridor when you get north of the tunnel all the way up to the Missouri line (geographically speaking, demographically, it crosses the state line). Hence we have the Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport. Harrison isn't a part of that. Hence we have the Northwest Arkansas Water Authority. Harrison isn't a part of that, either. If you LIVED in Northwest Arkansas, you would understand that. Instead, you act like an expert when you are not.

Cool Geography Games - Map Snap United States of America (USA) ONLY at Coolmath-Games.com - Free Online Geography and Math Free Online Math Games, Cool Puzzles, Mazes and Coloring Pages for Kids of All Ages

Old 02-18-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Oh, map-snap!

I did not say Harrison was part of the Nwa metro. Don't twist my words. I simply said acxording to a map it is located in the northwestern part of Arkansas there is no denying it. I love it how you people in Nwa metro try to distance yourself from other areas that surround you you are likely from California

Old 02-19-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
I did not say Harrison was part of the Nwa metro. Don't twist my words. I simply said acxording to a map it is located in the northwestern part of Arkansas there is no denying it. I love it how you people in Nwa metro try to distance yourself from other areas that surround you you are likely from California
I've lived here in Northwest Arkansas for over 41 years. I've never been to California. And I simply clarified that when people refer to Northwest Arkansas, they are referring to something specific and distinct from northwest Arkansas. You have been at pains to school some other posters about Northwest Arkansas, and its "southern" qualities. I'm pointing out that their arguments about Northwest Arkansas, how it has become more "midwestern" because of its phenomonal growth, are quite valid. Arkansas is a marvelous state, with tremendous variety in every way. It has a bit of everything, geographically, economically, culturally. It is predominantly rural, conservative and southern. But predominantly is a qualification, not an absolute.

Eureka Springs is distinctly different from the rural, conservative and southern tri-type. Little Rock is not rural. Northwest Arkansas, Benton and Washington counties, have shifted from that rural, conservative and southern tri-type. While some of the population exhibits those characteristics, they have become the minority. The state is changing as a whole, and Northwest Arkansas has changed markedly over the past four decades. Not just in population, but in all ways. And those changes in Northwest Arkansas affect all the people who live here, not just the people in Fayetteville Springdale Rogers Bentonville. All the communities, Centerton-West Fork-Prairie Grove-Garfield-Gentry-Gateway-Little Flock-Bella Vista-Pea Ridge-Avoca-Tontitown-and so on, ALL of them have changed markedly over the years.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:13 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,857,209 times
Why do people use the word midwestern to describe the NWA metro area?
Perhaps it's not as "southern" as it used to be, but midwestern? I just don't see the connection. Most places in the south are growing with people from other parts of the country. Will the whole south cease to be the south and then become an extension of the midwest, even though many of those people come from coastal areas? The midwest isn't exactly the fastest-growing, most prosperous region of the country. It's clean, tidy, cold, and slow-changing with struggling cities. How does NWA fit that?
And yes, there does seem to be a frantic distancing from the term southern, and an insistence on calling it midwestern. Why is that? I'm obviously not a fanboy for the south, but is it really something that horrible to be ashamed of, especially if you are willingly living there?

Old 02-19-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Perhaps it's not as "southern" as it used to be, but midwestern? I just don't see the connection. Most places in the south are growing with people from other parts of the country. Will the whole south cease to be the south and then become an extension of the midwest, even though many of those people come from coastal areas? The midwest isn't exactly the fastest-growing, most prosperous region of the country. It's clean, tidy, cold, and slow-changing with struggling cities. How does NWA fit that?
And yes, there does seem to be a frantic distancing from the term southern, and an insistence on calling it midwestern. Why is that? I'm obviously not a fanboy for the south, but is it really something that horrible to be ashamed of, especially if you are willingly living there?
I put "midwestern" in quotes for exactly that reason. It's a vague term at best.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
I agree completely it's funny how people try to say any change makes an area more "Midwestern". Just because people move in from different places doesn't make an area less southern. I don't know why they are trying to fight this?!

Old 02-19-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I agree completely it's funny how people try to say any change makes an area more "Midwestern". Just because people move in from different places doesn't make an area less southern. I don't know why they are trying to fight this?!
So you concur that the influx of new people into Northwest Arkansas has changed the culture of Northwest Arkansas?

Old 02-19-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
So you concur that the influx of new people into Northwest Arkansas has changed the culture of Northwest Arkansas?
It has changed the culture of the metro area just like ANY metro area in the country including Atlanta Louisville Memphis...ect. All of these areas have a large influx of people from other areas. That still doesn't change the fact that they are part of the south
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas