U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 08:48 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,522,007 times

Advertisements

Arkansas is extremely southern. It has a lot in common with Mississippi, Tennessee and Louisiana. Parts of northwest Arkansas and pockets of Little Rock have enough transplants to make those specific places look less southern I suppose.
Eastern Arkansas' Delta is absolutely "deep south". The Ozarks are southern in a hillbilly/Appalachian sort of way (no offense intended). Considering eastern Oklahoma, eastern Texas and southern Missouri have southern cultures, Arkansas doesn't even border an area that is anything but southern, culturally speaking.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:00 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,064,929 times
If Arkansas isn't the south, then Iowa isn't the Midwest. Simply put...Arkansas is in every way southern...it lacks nothing and has everything about it. Oklahoma and Texas are also southern.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:05 PM

9,658 posts, read 7,638,989 times
There are plenty of swamps in Arkansas. Cypress swamps, bayous, no doubt other kinds of swamps as well. Mountains, too - Mount Magazine is the highest point between the Appalachians and the Rockies. Plains? Not if you're thinking about endless prairie miles with no trees. Rolling fields, sure, flat land all the way from West Memphis to Little Rock, except for Crowley's Ridge, and the Grand Prairie around Stuttgart (but that includes swamps, too and other than being tabletop flat, is not much like the classic western prairies).

Arkansas definitely has a somewhat pioneer/old west flavor - see Fort Smith and other areas close to the Oklahoma border - but it's distinctly Southern. With French, German, Scots-Irish and Indian overtones.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:23 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,522,007 times
I don't think Bill Clinton or Mike Huckabee are ever confused as outsiders when they speak in Arkansas. Some people there just don't have as strong an accent. You know, it sometimes skips a generation. The rural areas and small towns seem to be quite a bit thicker than Little Rock, generally speaking. The southern accents of those former governors are perhaps toned some down due to life experiences and having spent more recent time away from the state. And of course, Arkansas' accent, while absolutely southern, sounds different than North Carolina, and even neighboring Tennessee, especially the further away from Arkansas you get.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:57 PM

6 posts, read 13,124 times
I know this state cannot be midwestern. It's proven to be southern state

Old 07-21-2012, 02:05 AM

3,056 posts, read 4,351,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanField View Post
I thought Bill Clinton was from Louisiana? anyway, he just isn't a "real" Southerner, his accent seems a little fake. Bush is more of a real southerner and he's from Texas. When I think of Southern I think of a Jimmy Carter like accent, sweet tea, grits, swamps, ect. Theres no swamps in Arkansas, isnt it mostly hill and like a grassland prarie?
O.K., this one makes me doubt the sincerity of your posts/thread (forgive me I'm wrong). If you think Arkansas isn't a "real" Southern state you do know that it was a slave state that seceded from the Union during the Civil War and was part of the Confederacy, right?

Old 07-21-2012, 04:40 AM

69,261 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Moderator cut: off topic AR, as in Arkansas is southern but to be honest, if you live in the NW part of the state it sometimes seems more mid western than it does southern. It certainly isn't deep south like Mississippi or LA. Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Kimballette; 07-21-2012 at 07:31 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 07-21-2012, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanField View Post
Well, Mike Huckabee is from Arkansas and sounds fairly Midwestern. His politics are also ultra Conservative in a kind of Kansas heartland way. Arkansas just doesn't seem like a traditional Southern state like North Carolina, Georgia, ect...Maybe sort of western and pioneer-like, but not "Southern."
Actually Mike Huckabee isn't as conservative in some ways as you might think and you mention Kansas heartland way, I think much of the south falls into that catagory as well. I will say, parts of AR, like I mentioned a minute ago is as much heartland as southern. Most of the people responding here probably live or are thinking the middle, eastern or southern part of the state.

It is still a southern state. We fought with the Confederates during the civil war. and where are you getting the idea all of the south is swampland. The only states I can think of with much swampland might be LA, FL and some in Mississippi.

Bill Clinton's accent isn't fake, at all. He was born and raised here, was governor here before Huckabee and isn't from LA, I imagine he has visited there a few times though, maybe that is what you were thinking.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
This is a confusing one. Oklahoma definitely has a strong Southern influence, arguably more than Missouri does, especially since Oklahoma's big cities also have that strong influence whereas Missouri's don't. Both the Ozarks and especially the Ouachita mountains (major features of Arkansas, and thus the South) plow right into eastern Oklahoma. Oklahoma is more German than any other Southern state, much like Texas and Missouri are, but eastern Oklahoma - where the South actually tapers into the state - shares the same primary ethnic and religious heritage as the rest of the South, much like eastern Texas and southern Missouri do. German as a primary ancestry is more of a Midwestern trait, but extends into other areas. However, none of the traditional South was primarily German. The South tapers out into these states and strongly influences them, but they're not solidly Southern, no.

But as for the actual topic of the thread, Arkansas is Southern. I've never heard anybody think otherwise. Although, I do wonder if areas further east or somehow deeper into the South might not see Arkansas as Southern as themselves or vice-versa.
Tech and geographically yes, OK is southern but I think many people do consider it southwest or even heartland and many think of NWA and MO as not being in the south, although AR is southern. People think in different ways, depending where they have been raised. You hit on something about people in the deep south, not thinking of us as being true southern.

So many are talking about the accents, I don't think accents in AR are nearly as southern as the true deep south....Of course I have spent that much time in the south part of the state. It might be different if I had.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:54 PM

48 posts, read 56,712 times
I have friends from Arkansas. They refer their state "Mid-South".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas