Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 10:06 PM

340 posts, read 515,282 times

Advertisements

I'm facing a potential move to Arkansas. Just my wife and I, the kids are grown so schools are not an issue, and my wife will probably retire if we move to Arkansas. My job is stable so employment is not an issue either.

My job is not in sales, but the closest thing to it would be a traveling salesman. I spend a lot of time traveling and have been traveling to Arkansas the last few years from our home near Fort Worth. Now I have an opportunity for a fully paid move to Arkansas. The specific area we move to isn't set in stone, but most of my work is in the Hot Springs area with some in the Little Rock, Fayetteville, Magnolia, Camden and areas too.

Hot Springs seems to make the most sense as a place to live. But it's not set in stone. I really don't want to live in the Little Rock area. Am I missing someplace that would be a great place to live and eventually retire (my wife says she isn't moving again) within an hour or so of Hot Springs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 10:40 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,377,053 times
A lot will depend on what you and your wife would like to do after retirement. First I will admit I'm heavily biased in favor of the Ouachita Mountains, so that said, if y'all are, or will be, people who enjoy the outside, Hot Springs would be my suggestion. It has lakes for boating and fishing, rivers and mountain streams for fishing, mountains for hiking and camping, and the Ouachita Mountains are fantabulus. If you are into gambling you can do that in H.S. and not have to go to Mississippi. For a home/house they have everything from dumps to high $$ plus apartments and condos. I have never lived in H.S. but have worked there and love it. If circumstances had permitted, we probably would have moved to H.S. years ago.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:08 PM

340 posts, read 515,282 times
Thanks, The last ten years we have been avid motorcycle riders. But we lived in Utah for a couple of years and that spoiled us for riding in Texas' heat and traffic. Unfortunately my bad back has finally gotten me off the motorcycles for good.

My wife used to be an avid golfer, but I am not a golfer at all. I like to fish and hunt and shoot. I would love to live on one of the lakes and be able to fish right out the back door. My wife wants a big house with lots of room for the kids to come visit. Gotta compromise somewhere.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:40 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,033 times
I lived in HS and loved it. I currently live in Florida and its still up for debate if we will stay. Fla has a lot more to do and wonderful beachs, but I miss the Mts. and the laid back historic dist. of HS. It seemed like there was always something going on. Home prices have dropped. I sold my home for 185k and it was on the forclosure market for 125k not sure if it even sold. Where Fla. is making a excelent come back in home prices I think HS is a good time to buy not sell. LR is not far away and has more to do. But the one thing I worry about is how will I feel about leaving a place that is hopping to a much more laid back area. If you want more laid back HS is excelent.

I would not live outside of HS by much, HSV would be fine to some of the Lake Cathrine area but not in Arkidelphia or the back woods areas. Jessieville is also out for me. Keep to the Lake Hamilton area for best resale value. I know you say you wont move but never say never. I have given that up. Although I love the historic dist. and I don't feel its really dangerous even at night, I would not live around it. Too mixed, by that I mean you can have a really nice home on Porspect next to a dump apt. building with drugs being sold. I would just keep away from that area. Another great area is out by Garvin Gardens. many off lake lots and or homes for reasonable prices.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:35 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,377,053 times
And severa golf courses; some public and some private (club) but I don't know which is which.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:48 PM

490 posts, read 1,265,060 times
If you want a lake house check out homes for sale on Lake Hamilton or on one of the lakes in Hot Springs Village. I live in Hot Springs Village and love it.

And if your wife likes to golf, there are 9 courses in the village.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:46 AM

9 posts, read 6,914 times
Hot Springs Village is very restrictive. You may want that. It does keep property's nice and no one plays loud music or other distractions. But I have also heard of people being sued for cutting a tree without permission and for kids laughing too loud when playing outside. Its a double edge sword. Schools may not be for you but they are to others so remember resale value. Lake Hamilton is nice and there are many secondary lake property's that you can view the lake without owning on it. Its very expensive and if you do not boat its not really a good value. Lake Cathrine is also a fair lake that is about half of Hamilton. HSV is also much closer to Little Rock than LH area. So if you want to go where there are many more things to see and do shopping wise you may want to be out that side of town.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:38 PM

490 posts, read 1,265,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenbuffet View Post
Hot Springs Village is very restrictive. You may want that. It does keep property's nice and no one plays loud music or other distractions. But I have also heard of people being sued for cutting a tree without permission and for kids laughing too loud when playing outside. Its a double edge sword. Schools may not be for you but they are to others so remember resale value. Lake Hamilton is nice and there are many secondary lake property's that you can view the lake without owning on it. Its very expensive and if you do not boat its not really a good value. Lake Cathrine is also a fair lake that is about half of Hamilton. HSV is also much closer to Little Rock than LH area. So if you want to go where there are many more things to see and do shopping wise you may want to be out that side of town.
People being sued for kids laughing too loud? Have you ever been to Hot Springs Village?

Please.............come on man.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:50 PM

88 posts, read 102,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btoverdrive View Post
People being sued for kids laughing too loud? Have you ever been to Hot Springs Village?

Please.............come on man.
I remember reading about that. It was not sued though, but the HSV police were called for kids being too loud. I was in the village voice about three or four years ago. I can rememeber a guy who cut a tree and put in a second drive way to his property [he lived on a corner lot] and he did get sued for something like 20 grand. I know it settled out of court but it can be very restrictive in HSV.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:26 PM

288 posts, read 1,078,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooka View Post
I remember reading about that. It was not sued though, but the HSV police were called for kids being too loud. I was in the village voice about three or four years ago. I can rememeber a guy who cut a tree and put in a second drive way to his property [he lived on a corner lot] and he did get sued for something like 20 grand. I know it settled out of court but it can be very restrictive in HSV.
The "driveway" you are remembering was probably when a guy asphalt paved his front yard.

There are restrictions on cutting trees on a lot with a house. Most of the problems with tree cutting are when trees are cut on "common property" (greenspace owned by the POA), not on their own property. That is a big no-no without a permit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas