Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 04:52 PM

13 posts, read 39,608 times

Advertisements

I just lost my last living relative over the Christmas holiday. I'm alone for the first time in my life and need to get away from the state I'm living in. That state is Texas, and I want nothing more to do with, all it reminds me of is loss, death and sadness.

My grandfather's family came from Arkansas (northwest area) and I have heard that the whole state has some very beautiful natural scenery and quaint little towns and villiages. I do have some medical/income issues that I need to be sure are addressed in whatever state I decide to move to.

-I have severe asthma, fibromalygia, osteo-arth issues and am considered disabled so I need decent medical care.
-because of the above I have to rely on SSI/Medicaid
-Was hoping that Arkansas has a vocational program that might help me find some sort of work that might sustain me (I hate being dependent on the St. and Gov.)
-I rely on HUD for help on rent, so I have to be able to find a HUD house to rent (I don't think I can afford to buy a HUD house)

I'd also like to ask abut the drought forecast in AR. How bad is the drought in the state and are there areas that I should Not move to?

I was looking at the NW section where my family came from. I myself am very interested in living an a heavily wooded area. I'm not so interested in living in a huge city. I thought the town of Eureka Springs looked nice in the little time I've had to look.

Thanks for any information
Amber
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 08:50 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
I would say to give yourself a year to get used to things the way they are in your life right now before you make any decisions.

Meanwhile, NW Arkansas is definitely a beautiful place, and well worth considering!

Old 01-04-2013, 04:14 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
Amber - first of all, condolences on your loss and may you find peace in the days ahead. There is also a Grief forum on City-Data and we would love to have you visit there.

I'm not sure about this, but I would think you could call social services in the area you are interested in moving to and see what is available for you in the way of vocational training, etc. I guess start with the Dept. of Human Services and let them direct you? A social worker may be your new best friend in getting started if you decide to move. FWIW, I think Luvarkansas gave you some very good advice on waiting just a bit before doing anything life-changing. It takes a while to get your feet under you again.

As far as your health problems - I'm not sure where you are in Texas, but keep in mind there are lots of pines, firs, etc. in a heavily wooded area that may be an aggravation for your asthma. The allergies here are different, the pollen is from different sources. My father moved here from Mississippi 18 months ago and I think he's had a runny nose since Day 1.

Eureka is a lovely town and most anyone could be happy there, but when it snows you are pretty well snowed in. The public transportation, if it is needed, isn't all that super. NWA in the Fayetteville/Springdale area is beautiful. Perhaps you could be happy somewhere like Siloam Springs, which isn't so far from medical care to make it prohibitive, but still small enough for good social services (I love Siloam). You might do well to look at the Hot Springs area as well. There's wonderful medical care there, it's scenic, and it's closer to Little Rock if you needed serious emergent care. There is NWACC in Bentonville for a community college if you're interested in mainstream education, so maybe Lowell or somewhere around there would be an option. They also have offsite learning, as does U of A.

Welcome - Welcome to NWACC - NWACC

I can't address the drought issue, I'll leave that for someone else - but I would assume with asthma that the delta would not be kind to you with all the dust blowing around even when it is a typical summer. It sounds like you want to be in hillier areas anyway? I don't think any of us can predict the weather, LOL - it changes from moment to moment around here. But we have had two seriously dry summers in a row, even in NWA and north central Arkansas. The hardest hit areas were south and east in the farming regions.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
amber,

I share Sam's comments about the loss of your family. I also think you need to do some real sole searching and a lot of research before you make any move. Time has a way of making us re-think decisions sometimes. This is why it is always advised to wait a year after a death of a loved one before making any permanent plans..

You need to contact social services to see what help is available to you, from housing assistance to vocational training.

Alergies: let's put it this way: I never had a bad alergy in my life until I was in my 60s. Then we moved to NM. From there, here to NWA. In NM I only had trouble in the spring but it was almost disabilitating. I do not suffer as much here, but for a longer period of time. The only time I have no problems is right now, from mid Dec until early March...I will add, our daughter, who moved here from Texas last year, doesn't have as much trouble here and lives surrounded by forest...No one ever knows until the try it..

The drought: heck who ever knows. The forecast I have seen, say, not nearly as bad as in the past year or so, but yes, the drier weather will continue this year, just like Texas...

I hope this helps you a little. Now, get busy, make some phone calls or use email to start making plans. NWA is beautiful and a wonderful place to live.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:40 AM

13 posts, read 39,608 times
Thanks for the info...I feel I need to add a little more information about my situation. I didn't give details for fear of being thought a bore. Perhaps it would be helpful though.
My stepfather had been trying to get me out of the area of Texas I've living in for over 2 years now(Central West TX). The water is running out, it is toxic and dangerous to drink. I have to buy all of my water and the cost does add up fast. The health care system is horrible. My primary care physician been advised by a couple of doctors that I'm in need of MRI's & CAT scans of the brain, spine to try and determine the source of some of my symptoms, and my doctor refuses. In the eyes of Texas, I'm not worth the expense. Now whether the symptoms I have are being caused my years of consuming bad water or a genetic defect...I don't know. I don't want to de young. Did you know that if you're on SSI in TX that the state claims ALL of your property and assets at your death? I have a car and they'd love to get a hold of that. Everything around me reminds me of my stepfather, the area has become a Meth den, the police Dept is a joke...I need to at least try to get out. Texas in general is Not the Texas that I grew up in. I'll be 38 in a few days. Also, I have no interest in going back to school. The state told me that they would pay for me to earn my bachelors in English only to cut my funding 2 years into my schooling. If there's any chance for me to get a small job in bookstore or something...I need to do that. I've wasted enough time.
My asthma is exacerbated mainly strong chemicals (bleach, household cleaners) stress, and heavy physical activity (like running) dusts have never really hurt me---the area I live in is one big dust bowl. I have always felt peaceful and very happy in wooded environments. I've been able to work around horses/hay dust with no ill effects.
Because of terrible medical care, my mother died at the age of 62. My stepfather who was trying to get me moved out of this area died just a few days before Christmas because MD Anderson of Houston sent the wrong chemotherapy formula to his very incompetent doctor in North Texas. My stepfather had excellent medical insurance...
I didn't act on my own because my dad kept on telling me to wait! "You can't handle the real estate market alone, I need to help you". So I waited. He was diagnosed with cancer around Thanksgiving, and he passed away Dec. 22. I have to do this on my own...I just need good advice. End of novel ♥ Amber
I have a question: I've asked several non-Arkansasians about the state and I'm hearing horrible reviews. All I hear is "poor white trash, trailer houses, inbred bucktooth hillbillies" Also I hear that Arkansas is only one-step up from Mississippi in terms of Medical/Medicaid/SSI services...I've lived in MS and it was horrible. Surely, all I'm hearing are falsities.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:12 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber75 View Post
Thanks for the info...I feel I need to add a little more information about my situation. I didn't give details for fear of being thought a bore. Perhaps it would be helpful though.
My stepfather had been trying to get me out of the area of Texas I've living in for over 2 years now(Central West TX). The water is running out, it is toxic and dangerous to drink. I have to buy all of my water and the cost does add up fast. The health care system is horrible. My primary care physician been advised by a couple of doctors that I'm in need of MRI's & CAT scans of the brain, spine to try and determine the source of some of my symptoms, and my doctor refuses. In the eyes of Texas, I'm not worth the expense. Now whether the symptoms I have are being caused my years of consuming bad water or a genetic defect...I don't know. I don't want to de young. Did you know that if you're on SSI in TX that the state claims ALL of your property and assets at your death? I have a car and they'd love to get a hold of that. Everything around me reminds me of my stepfather, the area has become a Meth den, the police Dept is a joke...I need to at least try to get out. Texas in general is Not the Texas that I grew up in. I'll be 38 in a few days. Also, I have no interest in going back to school. The state told me that they would pay for me to earn my bachelors in English only to cut my funding 2 years into my schooling. If there's any chance for me to get a small job in bookstore or something...I need to do that. I've wasted enough time.
My asthma is exacerbated mainly strong chemicals (bleach, household cleaners) stress, and heavy physical activity (like running) dusts have never really hurt me---the area I live in is one big dust bowl. I have always felt peaceful and very happy in wooded environments. I've been able to work around horses/hay dust with no ill effects.
Because of terrible medical care, my mother died at the age of 62. My stepfather who was trying to get me moved out of this area died just a few days before Christmas because MD Anderson of Houston sent the wrong chemotherapy formula to his very incompetent doctor in North Texas. My stepfather had excellent medical insurance...
I didn't act on my own because my dad kept on telling me to wait! "You can't handle the real estate market alone, I need to help you". So I waited. He was diagnosed with cancer around Thanksgiving, and he passed away Dec. 22. I have to do this on my own...I just need good advice. End of novel ♥ Amber
I have a question: I've asked several non-Arkansasians about the state and I'm hearing horrible reviews. All I hear is "poor white trash, trailer houses, inbred bucktooth hillbillies" Also I hear that Arkansas is only one-step up from Mississippi in terms of Medical/Medicaid/SSI services...I've lived in MS and it was horrible. Surely, all I'm hearing are falsities.
I don't think any of us are knowledgable enough to give you too much advise. I will assure you, most of the people in AR do not live in trailers, in fact probably not as many or no more than those living in Texas: we are not inbred, most of the people in NWA are not even from here, but from all over the country. We are not hillbillies nor are the majority of the people poor or uneducated. There is a section of the state, just like most states that has its share of poverty. It is referred to as the Delta, just like th MS delta..I think you need to talk to someone else, not those who have no clue what AR is like. I think you also need to do more research. It sounds like your problems need to be adrressed by, perhaps, a social worker...

Old 01-05-2013, 10:56 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
I would suggest northwest Arkansas, specifically the Fayetteville area. Everything you are seeking you will find there. Good luck to you.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:43 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
It's quite a drive from where you are to NW Arkansas. Do you plan to just drive there with all your possessions and look for a place to live? Asking people who have never been to Arkansas what Arkansas is like is akin to asking someone who was born without legs what it's like a run a marathon. I've never lived there, but, my parents are natives of Arkansas and I've been there many times. I don't get lost easily, but, I do in Eureka Springs.

If a person is new to an area, isn't it difficult to find the right physician or which agency would be likely to help? I think the admonition, location, location, location, in your case needs to be research, research, research. This marvelous internet is at your disposal.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:10 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,924,908 times
I'm a non-Arkansasan (originally from Arizona and then Kansas), and I have nothing but good things to say about NW Arkansas. It's definitely not your stereotypical white trash type place. It may be bad in the Delta, but NWA is a different culture in many ways.

Eureka Springs is a lovely place and definately great environmental wise--very clean water and air. But for someone who needs social and medical services, it's probably not the best place to live. You'll be going to Berryville, Rogers, or Fayetteville for most of those things.

If you do decide on Eureka Springs, the low income housing complex for non-seniors is called Swiss Village. There is information about it on the HUD website. Across the street is Carroll House Apartments. It's not low-income, but I think they take section 8.

I would definately look into Fayetteville. There are plenty of services for people with disabilities, several low income housing options, a good public transit system, and probably the best medical facilities in the region. It's wooded and hilly too...and you'll likely have a lot better time finding employment there than you will in Eureka Springs.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:13 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
I think those of us who have answered either live or lived in Arkansas and are pretty familiar with the basics of Eureka and are offering perhaps suitable alternatives or suitable suggestions based on our personal knowledge and the OP's post. The OP will have to do some work, granted, but we're trying to give her our perspective as residents. Unfortunately, if Amber is still around we're not hearing from her....Amber?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas