Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 01:51 AM

101 posts, read 210,615 times

Advertisements

Hey, all. I know very little about your great state, but I'm very interested in politics, both historic and current. I know the basic stuff from looking at maps and figures, but I'd like a more in depth description of what the political atmosphere is like in the state of Arkansas from the people who'd know the best. Arkansas, like all of the South, was a traditionally Blue state and still elects many Democrats. Though it voted for Bush twice and against Obama twice, it supported Clinton in both 1992 and 1996 by significant margins.

So, what are the ins and outs of politics in Arkansas? Are people, on average, more socially conservative and fiscally populist, or what explains both parties being seemingly strong? Thanks in advance for any replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 05:00 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
AR has gone from being a blue to a red state in the past few years. Generally the state has been controlled by the Democrats but nationally the state has gone both ways. In 2010, for the first time we had more Republicans elected at the national level than Democrats, now this is true at the state level as well. I think it is safe to say, even when the Democrats controlled everything the state leaned right, especially socially. We do have a nice mixture of views, especially here in NWA even though the elected representatives, again both nationally and statewide are all Republicans.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:47 AM

78 posts, read 189,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
AR has gone from being a blue to a red state in the past few years. Generally the state has been controlled by the Democrats but nationally the state has gone both ways. In 2010, for the first time we had more Republicans elected at the national level than Democrats, now this is true at the state level as well. I think it is safe to say, even when the Democrats controlled everything the state leaned right, especially socially. We do have a nice mixture of views, especially here in NWA even though the elected representatives, again both nationally and statewide are all Republicans.
THIS! This is just the right mix that hubby and I have been yearning for: a nice mixture of views that in the end, still lean conservative.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:49 AM

78 posts, read 189,477 times
Chicago; I don't know if you are looking to move to another state but if it's blue you feel comfortable with, perhaps Iowa may be to your liking. They have turned blue and look to stay that way for a while.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:36 AM

101 posts, read 210,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasketKitten View Post
Chicago; I don't know if you are looking to move to another state but if it's blue you feel comfortable with, perhaps Iowa may be to your liking. They have turned blue and look to stay that way for a while.
I'm a "traditional moderate Republican." Much in the spirit of the Republicans of the '50s, '60s and '70s, I tend to be socially moderate to liberal, support compromising in government to at least get SOMETHING done, but am pro-business and support lowering taxes. I definitely vote Republican no matter what because I'm so fiscally conservative, but I'm pro-choice and am very upset with the current GOP's stance on gay rights...

I was more just curious.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Illini_26 View Post
I'm a "traditional moderate Republican." Much in the spirit of the Republicans of the '50s, '60s and '70s, I tend to be socially moderate to liberal, support compromising in government to at least get SOMETHING done, but am pro-business and support lowering taxes. I definitely vote Republican no matter what because I'm so fiscally conservative, but I'm pro-choice and am very upset with the current GOP's stance on gay rights...

I was more just curious.
I know this isn't a political thread but I just want to add one thing to your comments; I am very much like you politically but I am not so concerned about the gay rights issues as seen through some eyes. I do not mean I don't care about gay rights, I certainly do, but too many of us do not realize whatever the platform says isn't how most feel. The platforms, Republican or Democrat are set me a few, not the overall party. This is true in AR as well as other places.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:01 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,857,209 times
Another thing about Arkansas politics: it's not the most politically active state. Voter turnout is generally low, and people are often cynical and don't have much trust in politicians.
Not always a bad thing.
What Scott Walker did in Wisconsin would have barely made the news in Arkansas, even if it were a liberal issue being pushed by a democrat. The only exceptions would be moral-based issues like abortion, homosexuality, lotteries, and alcohol. Even then, it's usually a loud few that get riled up, even though their views aren't far out of line of the majority. Most people just want to live their lives without thinking too much about politics... and hope the politicians don't mess everything up too much.
It's can look like an awkward situation for a bunch of people who otherwise want government to leave them alone. My views are usually conservative across the board, but lawmakers dabbling too much in moral issues one way or the other rarely does much good. In fact, it's just more ways for us to be divided.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:18 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Illini_26 View Post

I was more just curious.
I would argue that you would be out of place in much of Arkansas.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:52 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,168,984 times
Arkansas is pretty much conservative. Even those areas of the south and east that vote democrat are more often than not socially conservative. In the Northwestern part of the state there is a deep seated distrust of politicians in general and government in particular. This doesn't sound like country you would like.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:40 PM

974 posts, read 2,184,587 times
I have relatives from the state and many are ultra-conservative, highly-religious and pretty narrow-minded about much of the world outside of Arkansas. Even the Democrat politicians there tend to lean right. It's a largely rural state and best way I can describe it is every area is like its own little fiefdom. You should spend time before making the leap. NW Ark. around Rogers and Fayetteville and Bentonville are hot with retirees for so-called quality-of-life living. A lot of people from Ohio and the upper mid-west have called Hot Springs Village home for retirement or vacation homes. It may or may not be your cup of tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas