Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2013, 03:29 PM

1,287 posts, read 1,849,569 times

Advertisements

In a couple of weeks, I will be heading for the Jasper area for a weekend camping trip (group of 5-10 men). Looking at camping at Kyle's Landing and using an outfitter for a 1/2 day float trip. I know about Horseshoe Canyon Ranch, the Elk herd and the popular hiking trails. Anything else I should be on the lookout for, maybe something off the beaten path?

This will be my first trip to Jasper, but I may put this area is on the shortlist of potential retirement sites. I am looking for low crime, low development, low population and plenty of outdoor activities! Being in a dry county with few restaurants/stores is a plus to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 12:33 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,688,824 times
Ahhhh, Jasper....what a beautiful place!

Well, you said you know about all the popular hiking trails, but I will still say....do not miss Lost Valley, especially if the water in the creeks is still running high when you get there! The trail along the Buffalo from Steel Creek to the low water bridge in Ponca is good, too, lots of bluff overlooks.

For places to eat while on the road....there was a new restaurant opened up in Low Gap (between Ponca and Jasper) a few months (or maybe close to a year) back, and Tim Ernst said it was good. Not sure if it's still open. But the Ozark Cafe in Jasper (on the square, across from the front side of the courthouse) is still open for sure, and though I did not enjoy the two meals I had there long ago, I've heard others say they loved it. It does have good "atmosphere". They have live music sometimes, not sure when, but you can google it. The Cliff House, 6 miles south of Jasper on Hwy. 7, used to be good, too, and what a view from the deck! I think they're only open for breakfast and lunch....google it.

And speaking of views, there is a small gift shop with a good view and small observation tower (free) just south of Jasper, too. It's called Scenic Point and it will be on your left as you go south on 7, just a few miles from Jasper, and you can't miss it. It also has an awesome view of the Arkansas Grand Canyon. If you want a preview of what you would see, there is a YouTube video titled "Jasper Arkansas to Scenic Point on Hwy. 7". Makes me want to be there!

I'm a woman, so I enjoy Emma's Museum of Junk in Jasper (flea market/antique store), but a group of 10 men (each one trying to appear manlier than all the others...LOL) may not enjoy that. My husband does, though...he likes old stuff as much as I do. There are also two in Kingston, a tiny, neat, old town not far from Ponca. There is a nice gas station/convenience store with good bathrooms in Kingston too, as we found one time when we had forgotten about gas and were awful worried that we weren't going to make it back to Huntsville from Jasper one evening! The convenience store is not on the main "square", but a little ways north on 21. I think it's open until 7, maybe 8 in the evening. It's a long way between towns in those mountains....not actually as the crow flies, but those roads are curvy and steep!

There is a neat old preserved historic homestead at the Erbie access on the Buffalo, if you're into that sort of thing.

I'm envious of your trip....it's been a looong time since I've been able to go to Jasper. Many, many good memories there.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:19 AM

92 posts, read 228,590 times
Yes most definetly don't miss the Cliff House The Cliff House Inn -- On Arkansas Grand Canyon in Buffalo River Country. It's great!! We've eaten there several times over the years and stayed there as well. The link has information about the resturant and other items. The gift shop is also pretty good for a small building. And while you're eating the views are great!!!!! The last time we were there they had expanded their deck. If I have the name right their "coming home pie" is amazing!!! I think we like that place...

Old 05-30-2013, 10:10 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,285,742 times
I found Jasper ARK doing research last year, and we loved our visit there. In my case, I like hiking & swimming, and found plenty of that, in a very quiet and laid-back atmosphere. I actually saved many of these spots we found as "favorites" on my Garmin Nuvi GPS & later extracted & saved their coordinates so I'd always be able to easily find them again if we go back (and not lose the favorites if the GPS breaks). I will provide these GPS coordinates for you (in dd.ddddd° format, friendly for Google Earth/Maps). All you have to do is plug these coordinates in Google Maps on your smartphone (or in a stand-alone, make sure you change the formatting to dd.ddddd° it's usually in dd° mm' ss" format on a stand-alone) and it will take you right there.

We stayed at Dogwood Springs Cabin, N36.02014, W093.17570. (Phone 870-446-2163.) It was a basic but nice place. The owners were very nice to us. It's just barely out of town about a half mile from the Subway. We stayed in a cabin nearby a fenced-in playground so our 3 & 5 year-olds could just play in there by themselves while we were able to peep out the window to check on them. That was a huge help, as kids get cramped in a hotel/cabin very quickly. A city-park-like but natural swimming hole in Jasper is Bradley Park N36.00387, W093.19468 it's about 2 miles from the cabin.

One place we liked going up highway 74 was Ponca access. N36.02096, W093.35573. It was a small & scenic swimming hole where you could jump into an 8-foot deep swimming place from a bridge maybe 3-4 feet up. I also got some good scenic shots there. It cost nothing. Nearby is Lost Trail a good hiking spot (I don't have its coordinates but it's very close to Ponca access, odds are 100 to 1 a local can tell you how to get there or go to this link Lost Valley Trail Information & Map | Buffalo National River in Arkansas | Buffalo National River Cabins & Canoeing in Beautiful Ponca, Arkansas). You drive up a scenic highway (Highway 74) about 20-odd minutes to get to either of those. In fact many camping & hiking spots are on that road. One of those is Steel Creek N36.02977 W093.34217. I believe Boys Scout Falls is near there too, they recommend 4 wheel drive. N36.03022 W093.24899.

Then there was Pruitt swimming hole N36.06139 W093.13888 off of the main road (highway 7). Nearby there is Ozark Campground N36.065 W093.159167. About half an hour from Jasper is a lookout spot called "Sam's Throne" the entrance is at N35.87917 W 093.04472. Nearby there is Carver I got some good photos there N 35.98419 W 093.04162. Nearby there is a hidden jewel that apparently few know about but the owners at Dogwood Springs Cabin told me about, and it was probably my favorite--the "Blue Hole." You have to lookout for a house with yellow(?) fencing around it and proceed down a dirt path to the left and go about a mile or so, N35.99478 W093.04205. It is very very private and the swimming & scenery are great, and it's good (they tell me) about maintaining good water levels even if it hasn't rained recently.

I will list these attractions again in table-format with the GPS coordinates. If you're using Google Earth at a PC or Maps at a smartphone, you can copy-paste any 1 line just as it is into the search field & go with it.

N36.02014, W093.17570 (Dogwood Springs Cabin)
N36.00387, W093.19468 (Bradley Park)
N36.02096, W093.35573 (Ponca Access)
N36.02977, W093.34217 (Steel Creek)
N36.03022, W093.24899 (Boy Scout Falls)
N36.06139, W093.13888 (Pruitt Swimming Hole)
N36.06500, W093.159167 (Ozark Campground)

N35.87917, W093.04472 (Sam's Throne)
N35.98419, W093.04162 (Carver)
N35.99478, W093.04205 (Blue Hole)

I hope this helps you. Enjoy. We loved it last year & I hope to return again soon.

LRH

Last edited by shyguylh; 05-30-2013 at 10:43 PM..

Old 06-14-2013, 01:01 PM

53 posts, read 142,862 times
What outdoor things can you not do in Jasper? That's the better question

Old 06-15-2013, 05:10 PM

8 posts, read 39,708 times
Outdoors things you cannot do in Jasper? I don't think it's possible to enjoy the sport of "Curling". Tipping cows would get you in trouble, also. Other than that, good to go!

Old 06-17-2013, 08:22 PM

340 posts, read 509,243 times
if you get to craving a good steak, or just a good meal ... run up to the HUB a few miles north of Jasper. it's a motorcycle resort, but lots of locals eat there too. randal and deb, the owners are great folks.

call ahead to make sure they are open, they are close a couple of days a week. Monday and Tuesday maybe??

Old 11-08-2013, 03:04 PM

53 posts, read 107,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Ahhhh, Jasper....what a beautiful place!

Well, you said you know about all the popular hiking trails, but I will still say....do not miss Lost Valley, especially if the water in the creeks is still running high when you get there! The trail along the Buffalo from Steel Creek to the low water bridge in Ponca is good, too, lots of bluff overlooks.

For places to eat while on the road....there was a new restaurant opened up in Low Gap (between Ponca and Jasper) a few months (or maybe close to a year) back, and Tim Ernst said it was good. Not sure if it's still open. But the Ozark Cafe in Jasper (on the square, across from the front side of the courthouse) is still open for sure, and though I did not enjoy the two meals I had there long ago, I've heard others say they loved it. It does have good "atmosphere". They have live music sometimes, not sure when, but you can google it. The Cliff House, 6 miles south of Jasper on Hwy. 7, used to be good, too, and what a view from the deck! I think they're only open for breakfast and lunch....google it.

And speaking of views, there is a small gift shop with a good view and small observation tower (free) just south of Jasper, too. It's called Scenic Point and it will be on your left as you go south on 7, just a few miles from Jasper, and you can't miss it. It also has an awesome view of the Arkansas Grand Canyon. If you want a preview of what you would see, there is a YouTube video titled "Jasper Arkansas to Scenic Point on Hwy. 7". Makes me want to be there!

I'm a woman, so I enjoy Emma's Museum of Junk in Jasper (flea market/antique store), but a group of 10 men (each one trying to appear manlier than all the others...LOL) may not enjoy that. My husband does, though...he likes old stuff as much as I do. There are also two in Kingston, a tiny, neat, old town not far from Ponca. There is a nice gas station/convenience store with good bathrooms in Kingston too, as we found one time when we had forgotten about gas and were awful worried that we weren't going to make it back to Huntsville from Jasper one evening! The convenience store is not on the main "square", but a little ways north on 21. I think it's open until 7, maybe 8 in the evening. It's a long way between towns in those mountains....not actually as the crow flies, but those roads are curvy and steep!

There is a neat old preserved historic homestead at the Erbie access on the Buffalo, if you're into that sort of thing.

I'm envious of your trip....it's been a looong time since I've been able to go to Jasper. Many, many good memories there.
We ate there just last week had a louzzzzzy meal will never go back !!!

Old 11-09-2013, 12:34 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,688,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsites View Post
We ate there just last week had a louzzzzzy meal will never go back !!!
Where?....Low Gap, Ozark Cafe, or Cliff House? I mentioned all three.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas