U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Single 24 year old male seeking information on middle school teaching jobs in Northwest Arkansas, Bentonville, Rogers, hiring rates for teachers

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 08:55 PM

2,814 posts, read 5,857,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertheironsea View Post
It was just TOO busy for me. I don't drink, don't party, keep to myself, never been used to traffic (the largest town I've lived in has been 25,000), never been used to being in really large crowds...I just felt really weird there. For someone from rural southcentral Mississippi, it was a completely different atmosphere, and I just felt really, really uncomfortable. Almost claustrophopic (sp?). I grew up on 100 acres, so, as I said, totally different. The whole area is just one big metro now, and it was just something I couldn't get used to.

Pertaining to the accent thing, I can't help it, but it's true. I have no problem with people from the north, but when I'm the minority, it makes me nervous. I went to high school in Nebraska, and my accent was thick as any you've heard. Even at 18/19 years of age, I was being taken apart on a daily basis because of the way I talked, almost to the point where it was making me nuts. The jokes, the mean spirited comments, having my intelligence questioned with every sentence--it nearly drove me and my parents crazy. In Northwest Arkansas, walking around, I felt like I had the only Southern accent in town. That's fine when visiting, but you have to understand, as a teacher, I'm going to be HEAVILY scrutinized. In a perfect world, we want to believe that people wouldn't judge a person solely based on skin color, nationality, what state they're from, how they talk, etc., but it happens. The last thing I want to do on a daily basis is defend myself like that again. Can you imagine, as a teacher, having to argue with a parent because their 4th grader is picking up a couple of "ain't's" and "yonder's?" I don't say them in the classroom while teaching, but outside, talking to faculty members or even the students when I see them at any local store or restaurant, it streams out of me. It's part of who I am and where I came from, so I shouldn't part with it. As bad as it may sound initially, you can't really blame me for wanting to be in a place where I feel comfortable.

I just wanted to clear that up.
Thanks for sharing that. I'm sure you will find the right place for yourself. Coming from NYC, I will probably have a whole different outlook on Fayetteville. It will be interesting to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas