Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 02:25 PM

6 posts, read 10,767 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I have a job opportunity that will take me to NWA if I say yes...very seriously considering it, and I travel to Bentonville next week for some convincing. I need more information on the area. I have done a ton of research but many of the threads/discussions are outdated and no longer relevant.

I am a young professional with a fiance and a german shepherd who will come along for the move . We currently live in a fairly busy metropolitan area, but we both come from smaller towns. Ideally, we would be looking for something that isn't too busy but still has nearby festivals, markets, restaurants/pubs, events, etc. I would like to be within 25 min or less from Bentonville. She would not have a job for however long it would take for her to find employment, so that is also to be considered (safety, shopping, accessibility, etc).

We plan to rent for at least a year, maybe two. Marriage and kids thereafter, so a quiet family neighborhood will be in the cards then. Could you provide specific neighborhoods/area suggestions for us given our life stage? I don't want a 'college' vibe by any means, but on the other hand a 'retirement community' would be tough for two young people trying to make friends in a new place. I know those are two extremes, but you guys get the picture (I hope!! )

Cheers,
S&P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 03:25 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,151,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick and puck View Post
Hi all,
I have a job opportunity that will take me to NWA if I say yes...very seriously considering it, and I travel to Bentonville next week for some convincing. I need more information on the area. I have done a ton of research but many of the threads/discussions are outdated and no longer relevant.

I am a young professional with a fiance and a german shepherd who will come along for the move . We currently live in a fairly busy metropolitan area, but we both come from smaller towns. Ideally, we would be looking for something that isn't too busy but still has nearby festivals, markets, restaurants/pubs, events, etc. I would like to be within 25 min or less from Bentonville. She would not have a job for however long it would take for her to find employment, so that is also to be considered (safety, shopping, accessibility, etc).

We plan to rent for at least a year, maybe two. Marriage and kids thereafter, so a quiet family neighborhood will be in the cards then. Could you provide specific neighborhoods/area suggestions for us given our life stage? I don't want a 'college' vibe by any means, but on the other hand a 'retirement community' would be tough for two young people trying to make friends in a new place. I know those are two extremes, but you guys get the picture (I hope!! )

Cheers,
S&P
Welcome and I really think NWA seems to be a perfect fit for you. I describe it this way: Rural living with the amenities of unban life. Without knowing your price point it is hard to advise where you would be happiest, but I would suggest, Centerton for starters, as well as some of the areas just east of 540, around exit 85. That is assuming you are looking for a house, not an apartment. There are some awesome homes off exit 93, which is the furthest north exit in Bentonville, but they can be very pricey, even for rents. In fact, you might find the rents a little on the high side, depending on where you are coming from and are accustom to handling. Yes, the cost of living is low, but the rents seem to be a little on the higher end. Nearly all the areas that would fit your needs will be relatively close to entertainment, restaurants, shopping and safe. Normally speaking, unless you move into a couple of areas which you would not be likely to, you will have no problem with safety.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:07 PM

Thanks so much Nita. I've read quite a few of your posts on here and all have been extremely informative and helpful.

Yes, we would be looking for a house. Somewhere that isn't too far out and still close to shops, downtown, parks, etc. Our budget is around $1,000 per month or less if possible, if not we could certainly swing more but we pay about $900 now. Are dogs usually a sticking point with rentals in the area (that you know of)? We have a shep/lab mix around 70 lbs so not a huge boy but big enough. He's lived in rental housing since we got him and never with any problems...

Hopefully I can check out some of the area you are talking about when I am in town next week. If you have any other advice on the area please share! Thanks again.

*edit - we would prefer a home to rent from the start, but short term (for the first year) we would be open to an apt, town home, condo, etc if we could not find the right place

Last edited by stick and puck; 08-16-2013 at 09:32 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 08-17-2013, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick and puck View Post
Thanks so much Nita. I've read quite a few of your posts on here and all have been extremely informative and helpful.

Yes, we would be looking for a house. Somewhere that isn't too far out and still close to shops, downtown, parks, etc. Our budget is around $1,000 per month or less if possible, if not we could certainly swing more but we pay about $900 now. Are dogs usually a sticking point with rentals in the area (that you know of)? We have a shep/lab mix around 70 lbs so not a huge boy but big enough. He's lived in rental housing since we got him and never with any problems...

Hopefully I can check out some of the area you are talking about when I am in town next week. If you have any other advice on the area please share! Thanks again.

*edit - we would prefer a home to rent from the start, but short term (for the first year) we would be open to an apt, town home, condo, etc if we could not find the right place
I will mention just a couple of things: a townhouse might be your best option and/or you might want to see what you can get near down center in Bentonville or Rogers, though I don't know if you would get a young crowd particularly in either location. The other thing; be prepared for homes not having fences, but I think in the Rogers/Bentonville area you will find more. Some parts of NWA seeing a fence can be a rarity. I think your price range will work btw.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:24 AM

47 posts, read 91,186 times
Hello and welcome! We love northwest Arkansas, especially Bentonville. We have lived here several years, although we are considering a move for a few years to New York. We live in the Northaven Hills neighborhood. Very affordable. There are quite a few rentals in the neighborhhood, and it is a beautiful part of town - hilly and green, close to the museum, downtown, adjacent to the north Bentonville trail system and walking distance or a short drive to the dog park. We, too, have a large dog. Personally, I would avoid Centerton. We lived out that way and didn't care for it. Not much character, flat, and getting more congested by the day. When are you coming for a visit?

Old 08-26-2013, 09:31 AM

47 posts, read 91,186 times
I'm sorry, I don't know about the dog for rentals. We have one, but we own. Reading over the other replies, I thought I would mention that most homes I have seen have fences. Ours does. And I am not sure about rents, but our 3 bed/2 bath 1700 sq ft home with a fenced yard is under $1k per month. We have it mortgaged over 15 years. If we were to rent it out, we would probably do so for around $1,000/month. We're off exit 93 in Northaven Hills. Also easily reached by Walton Blvd to the north.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:13 PM

I guess the fenced yard depends on where you live, what sized lot and whether it is a track type of sub division. In BV there are not many fenced yards. Where our granddaughter lives (across the street from Freds) I don't think there are many either, but again, some of those lots are huge. They have almost 3 acres (2 lots) the same with the Centerton area, the larger lots do not have fences. Our granddaughter in Lowel does have a fenced yard.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:18 PM

I have to say it again and again, I love the mixture of city and rural. Yesterday we took off for the day, instead of going to church, we ran around, did lots of shopping and had lunch at Bonefish. We bought some Asian food (very reasonable ) at a new Asian market in Springdale. We bought produce at the Mexican market in Rogers, then we shopped at Aldi's, and Sam's. We finished up at our local small town grocery store. It was a long day, but a fun one and we even found time to visit a small Farmers Market. There is never a time when you can't find something to do in NWA, depending on your mood. You can do the outdoor things, the indoor, the shopping, the artsy stuff, just about whatever..

Old 08-26-2013, 03:15 PM

194 posts, read 261,130 times
One more year....

Old 09-03-2013, 10:15 AM

Thank you all for the input! It's great to have this information up front.

My trip was delayed, unfortunately, but I should be visiting next week or the week thereafter...looking forward to it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas