U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 01:29 PM

1,661 posts, read 4,295,706 times

Advertisements

Might want to google "Pine Bluff Arsenal" and read some of the returns there.

They store, and destroy, "obsolete" chemical warfare weapons.

Not *too* many accidental detonations, though.

Probably better than a cozy cabin an a Nevada nukie test range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 01:24 AM

139 posts, read 417,825 times
Default Try Flippin and Yellville , nice little towns and good FIshing and Hunting,canoing,Hiking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Might want to google "Pine Bluff Arsenal" and read some of the returns there.

They store, and destroy, "obsolete" chemical warfare weapons.

Not *too* many accidental detonations, though.

Probably better than a cozy cabin an a Nevada nukie test range.
SO true , there is even State Grants for any problems with the ChemArsenals that might have future issues : like leaks, explosions,leaching into water tables.
Glad we didnt choose Pine BLuff when we moved to No central Arkansas, we chose a great place. Email us anytime for tips. Good Luck.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:44 AM

1 posts, read 3,116 times
Thumbs down pine bluff

the crime here is bad, the fishing is great the housing in ok.
depends on how much money you are willing to shell out to be in a good safe area.
jsut look on line at the local news.
([mod] invalid link[/mod]or kark.com )
i've lived here many years have seen both sides of it,am moving away again this time for good.
good luck to you
nannafoxx

Last edited by Sam I Am; 05-21-2008 at 11:00 AM..

Old 05-23-2008, 05:56 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,741,642 times
Think Gary Indiana only smaller!

Old 05-27-2008, 02:33 PM

340 posts, read 526,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by undertheironsea View Post
Avoid, avoid, avoid.

That's not overreacting, either. It's really that bad. I have no bias, I just know facts. The reason that houses are so cheap is because no one wants to live there. If you want to do it bad enough, you will, but bring a gun and a vest.

You hate it in Montana? Ever heard the old saying, "jumping from the frying pan into the fire?" Yeah, it's gonna get hot real soon if you do this move.
Agreed. My fiancee's classmate had planned to do a clinical rotation at a hospital there in Pine Bluff. She looked things up online and found what she thought was a nice long-term B&B. She arrived and was in shock at the deplorable condition of the city and its inhabitants. A gas station clerk told her there were no safe accomodations in-town. The B&B was not what she bargained for, either. Little Rock has some nice areas, particularly the west side along I-430.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:09 AM

1 posts, read 3,115 times
Smile Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophile249 View Post
I work as a patrolman for the city of pine bluff, i agree it is not the safest place to live statisticly. Actually pine bluff rates as the Number 3 metropolitan areas with the highest crime rate (Lincoln, Cleveland, and Jefferson counties), the city of little rock was ranked as Number 13 in the nation for most dangerous cities in the country. we had a total of 29 homicides last year with approx 20 of them occurring at night clubs on university. If you live in the city you learn where to go and where not to go, just like any other city. We are in the process of starting a program know as the 20/20 vision plan for improving our community. The basic types of crime that occur here and home burglaries and breaking and entering of vehicles, all of which occur mainly in the older parts of the city between 35th Ave on the south and Martha Mitchell Exspressway (US 65B) on the north and between East HArding Ave on East and I530 on the West. it is a major part of the city, but the subdivisions being built on the outskirts are staying in good shape. Pine bluff is like an unattended garden, left alone long enough and you;ll have to weed it out.

also i absolutly love living here, i was born and raised in pine bluff / white hall area and i am proud to call it my home. if you need help looking for a home provide me with an address and i can tell you if it's a safe neighborhood. also sheridan is a nice place to live but the city does not like to prosecute child molesters, it's known as pedophilia island.
I look forward to doing just that sir. Once my wife is completed her schooling, we plan on re-locating there. I have been doing research. And I will hopefully be able to contact you when we get closeto making the move.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:41 PM

350 posts, read 1,112,249 times
I don't always believe statistics. Few places in LR or Hot Springs are really unsafe and crime is never a major issue for most residents.

That said, believe it when it comes to Pine Bluff. There is a mass exodus of professionals (bankers, attorneys, physicians, etc) to Little Rock. You would not believe the number that choose to commute from LR to Pine Bluff every day. Those that choose to stay in Jefferson Co have settled on White Hall, which is small but nice enough. Pine Bluff has very high unemployment and a declining population. Unfortunately, this is just an extension of what is occurring across Southeast Arkansas PB has been punished even more because of its service role for SE Arkansas. It was traditionally the financial, legal, and commercial center for the region.

If I did have to take a job in PB I would consider living in LR and look at White Hall and Sheridan as other possible options.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:00 PM

4 posts, read 24,490 times
I think a lot of the towns you guys have referred them to are not that great.
Someone put Sheridan-come on guys who would want to live in a hicktown like that? Yes there is hunting and fishing but it's not pretty and I find it gross as to many other cities in southern rural Arkansas and most of norh Arkansas as well. And I do agree that Pine Bluff is not the best city to live in but the area has cleaned up a lot and the crime is not near as bad as it used to be. I don't know if you guys like more diversity than what you're probably not used to in Montana, but living in Little Rock has easy access to just about anything-yes Little Rock has lots of crime too but only in the areas you have no business being in anyways. I also don't understand why you would want to work at a prison in ARKANSAS! Scary

Old 09-04-2008, 07:38 AM

23 posts, read 106,593 times
I appreciate all posts to this topic. They have given my husband and myself lots of ideas to research some more.
Diversity is not an issue for either my husband or myself. Privacy and freedom to do as we please in our own yard (within the bounds of the law of course) without the neighbors complaining they don't like our fence or they don't like the color of our house, etc., is a major issue.
Hicktowns? Excuse me if I offend you, but I found that statement a bit offensive myself. Perhaps at heart I am just a "hick" myself.
Prison work? Well that just happens to be my husband's job - It's a dirty job (litterally at times) but someone has to do it.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:48 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,295,706 times
[quote=Nicole0000; who would want to live in a hicktown like that? you would want to work at a prison in ARKANSAS! Scary[/quote]

Heh..

Lot's of us would like to live in a "hick" town.

Or outside of it.

As for working at a prison.....yes...you're right, it's scary.

However, some of us are living in real life, which is "scary", and have to have things like "jobs", which is scary.

Mom & Pop quit carrying me the day I turned 18.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas