Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2014, 01:12 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,050,074 times

Advertisements

Are Celtic festivals and Scottish and Irish musical traditions alive and well in 2014 present-day Arkansas?

A few years back, I was trying to find a live steam radio station of Celtic and Irish and even Scottish dance songs and fiddle tunes that were original. My quest took me to Arkansas. "An Arkansas-based live radio stream for the world to hear."

I was very surprised because I learned the archive of Celtic heritage in Arkansas rivals Nova Scotia, the mid-Atlantic and New England shores, and even mother Ireland and Scotland itself.

Arkansas is diverse in sub-groups of people not present in larger cities, even New York and Chicago may not have.

In actual Arkansas, do most locals celebrate their Celtic ancestry in a distinct way? If you are Caucasian, do you still identify uniquely with a special lineage? Do you feel this adds a new layer to being from Arkansas besides just being any other person in a southern state? Or is the South more than meets the eye all around ...across numerous people who are just overlooked as 'white southern American'?

The evidence of Celtic roots both in Arkansas and Massachusetts really says something about political affiliations and true heart-felt laws of living being not really connected. If North and South weren't divided in some political way, there would be Celtic bridges between Southeastern Massachusetts and the lost rivers of Arkansas.

Last edited by EricS39; 02-19-2014 at 01:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas