U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,095 times

Advertisements

I would not recommend going to Lake Hamilton School. It is not in the city and is about a 30 min drive from the house you listed on zillow. It is a very country school. Not a bad neighborhood, anyway. I would recommend something more east side; it is far nicer and closer to Lakeside. I went there, my two daughters, and my four grandsons all went there, and it is a great school! Hot Springs had definitely grown over the years, and I'm enjoying every moment of it.

P.S. Ozark national is about a 20 min drive (depending from where you are), and Mercy Hospital just converted to a St. Vincent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 11:31 AM

37 posts, read 110,531 times
A little update since my original post was over a year ago. My husband and I have moved back to southeast Oklahoma from Alabama and are still very interested in moving to Hot Springs within the next year. My husband has changed professions to one that is very much in demand so I don't think we'll have any problems getting jobs.
I'm curious to get feedback on a few things. What are your options for television? Dish Network, DirecTV, cable, At&t, etc.? I wonder with all of the trees and mountains if that poses a problem for receiving satellite TV. What about internet? Are there good high speed WiFi options? This is especially important for me because I attend college online. I know this is a common question and I'm familiar with how unpredictable they are from living in Oklahoma, but how frequent are tornadoes in the Hot Springs area? I'm terrified of tornadoes but to live close to family, it's a sacrifice I must make Also, is the area child friendly? I have a 4 year old and would like to have different things to do with him.
Thank you to everyone that's responded so far. I'd just like to get feedback, both positive and negative.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:14 PM

265 posts, read 270,606 times
We moved here about 2 years ago. We both have home offices, so high speed internet was a must. You will want to verify that it's available as some areas that you would think would have cable or DSL ... Did NOT have either. And Direct TV internet service is mediocre at best.

We settled on Hot Springs Village for a variety of reasons, one was the availability of Cable TV and hi speed internet throuought the village.

The Hills here don't seem to be a problem with satellite TV but can be for cell phone coverage. That was another of our priorities because many homes here had no cell signal, that's true even in the village.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:52 PM
Status: "I can retire today...but I love my job so...." (set 28 days ago)

562 posts, read 199,608 times
Jim -

I've lived/worked in at least 10 states - my wife is from Sao Paulo. We've both proven that we're able to adapt to new areas. I am curious though. What are the downsides of the area? Is there anything that's a particular negative for the area?

Thanks!

Old 05-20-2015, 10:53 AM

1,929 posts, read 739,073 times
Hello, sorry to intrude, but can anyone tell me anything about the town of Malvern, this neighborhood in particular:

301 Pecan St, Malvern. It looks ideal for me but is probably next to a meth lab.

I'm looking for a small house under 30K for retirement in a safe area for an old bag to live in alone.
Am looking virtually all over except states that are too cold.
Am finding tons of cute, cheap small houses but then go on citydata and find out they are in scary areas so before I get excited anymore I'm going straight to citydata and asking! I was about to book plane tickets to St Louis, MO until I got info on the sections these darling houses were in (crime infested ).

Any suggestions also appreciated as to towns or areas.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:46 AM

4,749 posts, read 6,152,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
Am finding tons of cute, cheap small houses but then go on citydata and find out they are in scary areas so before I get excited anymore I'm going straight to citydata and asking!.
Look them up on Google street view. Saves a lot of time considering houses that are unsuitable.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:05 PM

Luvvarkansas I do Google street views and sometimes they do show how seedy it is but others look great even when unsafe so can't go by that, I am discovering. Ex: Danville VA, street views looked like a normal working class street but when I investigated...high crime and drugs etc.

Kampfgruppe, very small is what I want. Under 600 sf would be ideal! I could live in 300sf honestly. Even if I could afford big, I'd want small so that's not the prob.

Very small, working class area that is safe, that's all I need.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:39 PM

I have max 30K to spend total so that won't work, though I did think of it for a minute!

Old 05-20-2015, 02:49 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,174,284 times
Quote:
Hello, sorry to intrude, but can anyone tell me anything about the town of Malvern, this neighborhood in particular:

301 Pecan St, Malvern. It looks ideal for me but is probably next to a meth lab.

I'm looking for a small house under 30K for retirement in a safe area for an old bag to live in alone.
Am finding tons of cute, cheap small houses but then go on citydata and find out they are in scary areas so before I get excited anymore I'm going straight to citydata and asking! I was about to book plane tickets to St Louis, MO until I got info on the sections these darling houses were in (crime infested ).

Let me do some looking and get back to you. We moved from Malvern 11 years ago after living there for 40+ years, and if circumstances permitted, we would still be there.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:57 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,174,284 times
Quote:

I'm back. No, I would not live in the 301 Pecan Street neighborhood.

I'll send you a D.M.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or